• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Stage 15: Avilés - Anglirú 144km

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
And he's full of praise for Cobo:

"Nibali admitted that he was surprised by Cobo’s display on the Angliru, which leaves him in the overall lead with just six stages to go. “Yes, he hasn’t ridden like that since the Tour stage at Hautacam in 2008,” Nibali said."

:rolleyes::D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:

"Nibali admitted that he was surprised by Cobo’s display on the Angliru, which leaves him in the overall lead with just six stages to go. “Yes, he hasn’t ridden like that since the Tour stage at Hautacam in 2008,” Nibali said."

reminds me of the bs kreuziger siad after grossglocker about rujano, these 2 are complete tools for sure. kreuziger is the most outspoken though

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
canyonball said:
Machado has still a lot to learn. If he can improve on his weaknesses, I don't see why he can't top 10 on a GT, eventually. (I also don't think the steep/irregular stuff he faced on Vuelta and Giro are the most suitable to his style, but then at the Tour we have more people fighting for that spot, so...). You could see it coming really. Back in Portugal he would crack on a mountain stage , preferably Torre and loose his hopes for the win. But as a fan I would give him an excuse. Maybe it's because he's young, maybe because it's because he's attacking all season. Well...

Doens't make him less of a quality rider though. I just like him more as a rider on one week races with relatively hard courses. There he attacks. Here he just follows.

yeah he can top ten but who the hell cares about something like that? a gt rider is one that can and will podium a gt or at the very leats do multiple top 5s

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Winterfold said:

Saunier-Duval train :D

Winterfold said:

and says what?of course cobo hasn't ridden like that since 2008.and?did he test positive back then and i didn't know about that?
i don't think nibali dares to say something about cobo.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i don't think nibali said that as an insult.for fuccs sake he was beaten by the likes of mollema,monfort or lagutin.he had no legs that's it.

Why are you getting upset? He didnt test positive last time - doubt he will this time

Winterfold said:

What he said is factually true. No reason to get worked up about it.

theyoungest said:
How many times does Nibali have to get dropped on a mountain for him not to be considered a better climber than those guys?

Nibali may not be a better climber but he is a better all round rider than most aspiring GC riders. Riders like Scarponi, Rodriguez and Rojas will never win a grand tour now even though they are usually better climbers than Nibali. Anton could possibly win the Vuelta but it's unlikely. Nibali has won a Vuelta and podiumed at the Giro. Also some of the younger riders are starting to emerge. Riders who will improve. Cobo on track to winning the Vuelta might give some of these riders hope. I would never have considered him for the podium before the race started. What are the odds ? Cobo and Evans winning grand tours in the same year although many might say that Evans was overdue for a win.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
How many times does Nibali have to get dropped on a mountain for him not to be considered a better climber than those guys?

Most of them have been dropped before by Nibali himself. Cycling is not maths.
He has no legs. That doesn't make him a worse climber than Lagutin ffs.

On Nibali possibly winning a Giro: as somone previously posted, if Savoldelli could win it twice, then he can definately win it. It depends on the route obviously.
I'm hopeful Liquigas will make different choices for GTs next year though.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
With Zomegnan gone, I can see Nibali winning the Giro..

They had courses in the (far) past that were more hilly than mountainous and if they put 1 or 2 big downhill finishes in there Nibali could win like Savoldelli

wasn't cunego's course more hilly then mountainous also?

movingtarget said:
Nibali may not be a better climber but he is a better all round rider than most aspiring GC riders. Riders like Scarponi, Rodriguez and Rojas will never win a grand tour now even though they are usually better climbers than Nibali. Anton could possibly win the Vuelta but it's unlikely. Nibali has won a Vuelta and podiumed at the Giro. Also some of the younger riders are starting to emerge. Riders who will improve. Cobo on track to winning the Vuelta might give some of these riders hope. I would never have considered him for the podium before the race started. What are the odds ? Cobo and Evans winning grand tours in the same year although many might say that Evans was overdue for a win.

Scraponi might yet win a gt. Hes got to be one of the favourites for the very next one.

Also, Rojas?