• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Stage 15: Avilés - Anglirú 144km

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
movingtarget said:
Nibali may not be a better climber but he is a better all round rider than most aspiring GC riders. Riders like Scarponi, Rodriguez and Rojas will never win a grand tour now even though they are usually better climbers than Nibali. Anton could possibly win the Vuelta but it's unlikely. Nibali has won a Vuelta and podiumed at the Giro. Also some of the younger riders are starting to emerge. Riders who will improve. Cobo on track to winning the Vuelta might give some of these riders hope. I would never have considered him for the podium before the race started. What are the odds ? Cobo and Evans winning grand tours in the same year although many might say that Evans was overdue for a win.

Rojas? Is there another Rojas other than Movistar's sprinter?

Rechtschreibfehler said:
Ukranians count as Klingons. There's no diffrent if the Klingon is Russian or Ukranian, Klingon is Klingon! Ask Caiptan Kirk!
Usually only the Russians get openly accused, but they do have very weird performances though really. In biathlon as in cross country skiing. They tend to go from sucking big time to destroying everyone within weeks.
Noone is asking real questions though if it's about the attitude of the Germans to actually tell the NADA where on earth they are. Or how Eckholm miraculously became a competetive skier.
Do the Belarusians count as klingons? They'd better leave Darya alone! :mad:
greenedge said:
Poor Kessiakoff as well. Nice to see Anton and JROD try win a stage along with Moncoutie. I was willing on Dan Martin as well.
Yeah, Kessiakoff was the big loser yesterday, and after such a good race too. A real shame because he could have been a contender.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nibali himself says the Giro has nothing to do with him being worse than normal.

He thinks he rode to little races in preparation of the Vuelta with only Poland and Trofeo Melinda
Yea, last year he did the Vuelta a Burgos. Now I know Hitch will have a go at me for dissing Poland, but the climbing in Poland doesn't prepare you like Burgos - it's more gradual up-down in Poland, and no properly long steep stuff like Lagunas de Neila (though they could have some if they wanted), plus of course the heat of Burgos is better preparation for the Vuelta.
Ryo Hazuki said:
like rujano was nowhere to be seen in 2008
Rujano in 2008 was still more visible than Wiggins and especially Cobo last year - 4th and 6th in Giro mountain stages, 2nd in the Klausenpass ITT in Switzerland and the top 10 of the Deutschlandtour. His 2006-7 were the ridiculous years.
Winterfold said:
And he's full of praise for Cobo:

"Nibali admitted that he was surprised by Cobo’s display on the Angliru, which leaves him in the overall lead with just six stages to go. “Yes, he hasn’t ridden like that since the Tour stage at Hautacam in 2008,” Nibali said."

:rolleyes::D
He was pretty good in the 2009 Vuelta though. He won a mountain stage (admittedly with a downhill finish) and was the guy who was pacing with Valverde when the latter dropped on La Pandera. The guys who left Valverde behind that day were Mosquera, Gesink, Basso and Samuel Sánchez. Is Cobo beating Froome and Poels really so out there compared to performing on good terms but ultimately losing out a bit to those three? I mean, those riders are way better climbers than the riders he's beating in this Vuelta.
roundabout said:
What's a course that's more hilly than mountainous like?
The 2004 Giro!

Seriously, the queen stage was less than 120km long.
Armchair cyclist said:
Except, of course, that the only UK born rider to start the Vuelta doesn't ride for GB

Ian Stannard?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys.. Back from THE ANGLIRU now. Unbelievable 2 days that embodied what cycling was all about. I had intentions of walking about halfway up the pass when I arrived in La Vega on Saturday evening. Fortunately for me the owner of the local bar picked me up to bring me to the park area where he was hosting a huge fiesta. There a good thousand people camping out waiting for the epic climb to come.

It absolutely poured that night, but cleared in the morning for the hike up. Walking the climb there were hundreds or cyclists in pure agony trying not only to make it up, but stay upright. This was one or the first times I was not jealous of someone else cycling. Hiking it was even he'll, as it didn't help that I had a 15 kilo pack on, putting me around the same weight as thor. When I got to the 4km to go banner it seemed like the perfect place to stop to see the race and get pics. I got to meet some nice Castillian and Basque folks as we waited for hours.

Waiting sucked and it didn't help that the temps felt like early november. But the wait was worth it. When the tve helicopter came over the horizon it was purely a waiting game.

And then a geox rider approaches. I heard someone earlier say sastre went up the road early so I thought i was him, but was thrilled to see cobo charging ahead. Even more shocking was to see wiggo still holding on while Froome kept the pace.

Moment of the day was calling out to Duarte. He was coming by in a group of 5the and I about ay Fabio, be was so shocked to hear his name I was scared I would accidentally make him fall. Also got nice acknowledgements from Haimar and de Maar.

Overall it was an unbelievable day that was capped by the outcome I could have best hoped for, cobo victory and the ability to say that I was the only non Spanish people I met (or heard) the entire day.

Today I have hiked down and am patiently waiting in Santander to do the same thing all over for the Peña.

Being live spectator is so special, I only went to a big race once, the Giro di Lombardia in 2010. It was pouring with rain, but that made the athmosphere even better. Riders coming in one by one when the podium ceremony was on its way, it was special and I bet something mythical like the Angliru will be even better :cool:

Also went to Paris once for the Tour finish but that was too busy, couldn't really enjoy that.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Totally agree. I remember you talking about being at the gdl last year and remember wishing I could be in Lombardy instead of my stuffy room riding on the rollers. Fortunately I get to attend gdl this year too!

nvpacchi said:

Hey nvpacchi,

Thanks for the photos and close up blow by blow. I live in Oviedo and watched the race go by one of my favorite routes near Trubia. Didn´t have the time for a whole day trip out to Angliru. You´re right that there´s nothing like being there in the flesh, always better with the bike, but for Angliru I probably would bring my mtn bike. Cobo went up with a 34 x 32. What a stage! Have fun in Santandar.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Hey guys.. Back from THE ANGLIRU now. Unbelievable 2 days that embodied what cycling was all about. I had intentions of walking about halfway up the pass when I arrived in La Vega on Saturday evening. Fortunately for me the owner of the local bar picked me up to bring me to the park area where he was hosting a huge fiesta. There a good thousand people camping out waiting for the epic climb to come.

It absolutely poured that night, but cleared in the morning for the hike up. Walking the climb there were hundreds or cyclists in pure agony trying not only to make it up, but stay upright. This was one or the first times I was not jealous of someone else cycling. Hiking it was even he'll, as it didn't help that I had a 15 kilo pack on, putting me around the same weight as thor. When I got to the 4km to go banner it seemed like the perfect place to stop to see the race and get pics. I got to meet some nice Castillian and Basque folks as we waited for hours.

Waiting sucked and it didn't help that the temps felt like early november. But the wait was worth it. When the tve helicopter came over the horizon it was purely a waiting game.

And then a geox rider approaches. I heard someone earlier say sastre went up the road early so I thought it was him, but was thrilled to see cobo charging ahead. Even more shocking was to see wiggo still holding on while Froome kept the pace.

Moment of the day was calling out to Charge. He was coming by in a group of 5the and I about ay Fabio, be was so shocked to hear his name I was scared I would accidentally make him fall. Also got nice acknowledgements from Haimar and de Maar.

Overall it was an unbelievable day that was capped by the outcome I could have best hoped for, cobo victory and the ability to say that I was the only non Spanish people I met (or heard) the entire day.

Today I have hiked down and am patiently waiting in Santander to do the same thing all over for the Peña.

lol I remember after agr 2009, we all walked down the road of cauberg but serpa somehow was still on the course, he was riding cauberg while we were walking of it with thousands. I saw him and yelled serpa!! I will never forget that smile. he was clearly happily shocked someone would recognize him in some obscure country :p

Arnout said:
Being live spectator is so special, I only went to a big race once, the Giro di Lombardia in 2010. It was pouring with rain, but that made the athmosphere even better. Riders coming in one by one when the podium ceremony was on its way, it was special and I bet something mythical like the Angliru will be even better :cool:

Also went to Paris once for the Tour finish but that was too busy, couldn't really enjoy that.

Hey I was there too, some 500m before the top of San Fermo della Bataglia. Where were you? Maybe we saw each other. :cool:

Descender said:
Hey I was there too, some 500m before the top of San Fermo della Bataglia. Where were you? Maybe we saw each other. :cool:

Well I attended start and finish only as we didn't have a car. So I doubt it ;) But yeah, GdL was my favourite one day race and last year confirmed it. The atmosphere really makes me feel nostalgic, end of the season and such, and the way the whole peloton knows it but is going all out one more time, its brilliant. Combine that with Italian scenery and tifosi = brilliant recipe.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
lol I remember after agr 2009, we all walked down the road of cauberg but serpa somehow was still on the course, he was riding cauberg while we were walking of it with thousands. I saw him and yelled serpa!! I will never forget that smile. he was clearly happily shocked someone would recognize him in some obscure country :p

Lol even more so in the Netherlands. Im gonna do the same on the peña and then try to talk to him before the start in Bilbao and let him know about his huge following on cn.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Riding the Angliru - I lived to tell the tale!!

I rode this in summer 2008 and still remember it vividly!

1st half, nothing unusual as mountain roads go, the Alto de Tenebredo (also on my + Vuelta 2011 route) was a lot steeper (sections of 15% +).

But then the second half... oh boy! It reminded me of the "The Devil's staircase" in wales

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.php?p=climbs&rid=130&page=3

only much, MUCH longer!

Unlike the Alps, on the climb there was just about no one around - I stopped and asked / gestured to a couple of blokes (chasing a donkey if I remember correctly - no jokes please!) if it got any easier. They shook their heads grimly and gestured 45 degrees with their hands!

On the 23.5% bit I was struggling in 22 x 32 on a mountain bike!! Oh yes, and in preparation for the Vuelta they were resurfacing the road so there were occasional lorries, diggers (and even a steam roller) going by and best of all, the whole second half was covered in loose gravel. Great!

Check out Pedro Delgado having a tough time in 34 x 28 on a road bike - but he still manages to chat to Chucho Rubiera all the way up. (Spaniards - what are they like?!)

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana/pericopuertos-langliru/1188711/

Interestingly, on the way down I saw a v high end cyclist (complete with TWO motor cycle outriders with hazard lights flashing) going up - no time to stop and check out exactly who it was but likely a pro doing a recce of the climb pre -vuelta.

I've ridden a lot of mountains before and since notably the Iseran (from the south) and Cormet de Roselend (from North) - lovely scenery, a much 'nicer' experience but NOTHING compared to l'Angliru!!

Forget Alpe d'Huez, get a plane to Oviedo / ferry to Santander or Bilbao and check it out for yourself - you won't forget it in a hurry!!

(then pop down to Granada Province and ride from "Guapa" at sea level, straight up the side of a cliff to "Sierra de lujar" almost 1900 m in less than 30 km with 200km views all the way to Gibraltar and Africa - should blow out the tubes!)

See Climb No 6 on
http://apmforo.mforos.com/401631/98...posible-final-de-mas-de-240-apm-de-coe/?pag=3

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Angliru George said:
I rode this in summer 2008 and still remember it vividly!

1st half, nothing unusual as mountain roads go, the Alto de Tenebredo (also on my + Vuelta 2011 route) was a lot steeper (sections of 15% +).

But then the second half... oh boy! It reminded me of the "The Devil's staircase" in wales

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.php?p=climbs&rid=130&page=3

only much, MUCH longer!

Unlike the Alps, on the climb there was just about no one around - I stopped and asked / gestured to a couple of blokes (chasing a donkey if I remember correctly - no jokes please!) if it got any easier. They shook their heads grimly and gestured 45 degrees with their hands!

On the 23.5% bit I was struggling in 22 x 32 on a mountain bike!! Oh yes, and in preparation for the Vuelta they were resurfacing the road so there were occasional lorries, diggers (and even a steam roller) going by and best of all, the whole second half was covered in loose gravel. Great!

Check out Pedro Delgado having a tough time in 34 x 28 on a road bike - but he still manages to chat to Chucho Rubiera all the way up. (Spaniards - what are they like?!)

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/vuelta-ciclista-a-espana/pericopuertos-langliru/1188711/

Interestingly, on the way down I saw a v high end cyclist (complete with TWO motor cycle outriders with hazard lights flashing) going up - no time to stop and check out exactly who it was but likely a pro doing a recce of the climb pre -vuelta.

I've ridden a lot of mountains before and since notably the Iseran (from the south) and Cormet de Roselend (from North) - lovely scenery, a much 'nicer' experience but NOTHING compared to l'Angliru!!

Forget Alpe d'Huez, get a plane to Oviedo / ferry to Santander or Bilbao and check it out for yourself - you won't forget it in a hurry!!

(then pop down to Granada Province and ride from "Guapa" at sea level, straight up the side of a cliff to "Sierra de lujar" almost 1900 m in less than 30 km with 200km views all the way to Gibraltar and Africa - should blow out the tubes!)

See Climb No 6 on
http://apmforo.mforos.com/401631/9894004-puertos-para-un-posible-final-de--de-240-apm-de-coe/?pag=3

Great recap! Im so wishing I had a bike with me now

Libertine Seguros said:
Androni aren't in the Vuelta?

Sorry should've specified Duarte. I tend to rarely think when typing on a cell phone

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
Hey nvpacchi,

Thanks for the photos and close up blow by blow. I live in Oviedo and watched the race go by one of my favorite routes near Trubia. Didn´t have the time for a whole day trip out to Angliru. You´re right that there´s nothing like being there in the flesh, always better with the bike, but for Angliru I probably would bring my mtn bike. Cobo went up with a 34 x 32. What a stage! Have fun in Santandar.

Of course Tango! Oviedo is a fantastic city. One I totally see myself visiting again. Preferably with a bike and lots more time

What an awesome climb! And the stage as a whole was really good too, with the category 1 climb beforehand also being quite testing.

Congrats to Cobo for writing his name into history. Great ride by Froome too (why hasn't anyone signed this guy up yet? Would be REALLY funny if he went to Trek-Shack!), and I give credit to Wiggins. Anyone who finishers within 2 minutes of the winner of Angliru CAN climb. Bradley has definitely proven himself and a podium finish would be a just reward.

Though it ain't over yet.

That long section of around 20% with a few kms to go and the thousands of crazy spectators...WOW!

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
>>> Originally Posted by LukeSchmid
>>> If two adult men are the problem then use WOMEN!!!!

>>> I like the idea.

and to save even more weight I'd recommend 18 yrs old in swimsuit - on a 3-wheel chopper, won't fall

The Hitch said:
Scraponi might yet win a gt. Hes got to be one of the favourites for the very next one.

Also, Rojas?

Not Rojas.......Rujano. I am in two minds about Scarponi's chances. I like watching him race but I think this year was not a good year for him in the grand tours. He also is not that good tactically compared to some of the other GC riders.He often rides off the front too early and pays for it later instead of finding a climbing rhythm and dosing his effort. But it was obvious in the Vuelta that it was not going to happen for him this year just like Anton. Tactics were secondary as the form was not there for either of them.