• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 5 : Guadix - Lorca 198.8km

Vuelta a España - Stage 5 : Guadix - Lorca 198.8km

mapa5.jpg

5_perfil.gif

after few days of excitment, a sprint

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'd be surprised if Hutarovich repeated, but that doesn't mean Cav will win. He was missing his usual blazing turn of speed on stage 2.

Jamsque said:
I'd be surprised if Hutarovich repeated, but that doesn't mean Cav will win. He was missing his usual blazing turn of speed on stage 2.

He went a little early, passed everyone he could see and thought he had it won - I'm not saying he eased up, but once he'd accelerated by Farrar it's not hard to imagine how he would think he had it won and not be quite as aggressive as he might have been.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
He went a little early, passed everyone he could see and thought he had it won - I'm not saying he eased up, but once he'd accelerated by Farrar it's not hard to imagine how he would think he had it won and not be quite as aggressive as he might have been.
Sounds like a severe case of tunnel-vision then...

Waterloo Sunrise said:

considering cav blamed the heat, i dont think it was this. He would have put the blame on this instead of admiting he was beaten fair and square.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Thor is probably not going to contend the sprint tomorrow. And if he does, I think his form is not good enough. Cav for the win is the easy option, but if Farrar gets his timing right he will be strong enough to fight for the victory.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
considering cav blamed the heat, i dont think it was this. He would have put the blame on this instead of admiting he was beaten fair and square.

I think you must have missed this article:-

At the end of the day, I just wasn't fast enough. Hutarovich deserved the win, he did an incredible sprint, so I can't be disappointed. At the end of the day there was somebody better than me."

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Weather forecast for stage 5:

etp5.gif

According to the graph legend in the web site, the vertical arrow at the end means crosswind. Unfortunately, it won't be very strong, and the last kms go over wide roads and highways.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
I'm not convinced that Hutarovich is faster than Cav. And I'm sure that the others aren't. So long as Cav doesn't throw up on his bike again it's his.

Yeah, Freire asked who won stage 2 and when they answered his question he said "Hutarovich who?"

Just gotta love Freire. It's like he's in a dream world for most of the races he competes in and only wakes up when it's almost over.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Nothing wrong with having sprint finishes, you have to have stages for everybody. The only problem is that you have the dire Tour de France stage that goes for 190km, almost pan flat, and the break has zero chance, and just doing 190km for the sake of it, when they could of chopped off 60km.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Nothing wrong with having sprint finishes, you have to have stages for everybody. The only problem is that you have the dire Tour de France stage that goes for 190km, almost pan flat, and the break has zero chance, and just doing 190km for the sake of it, when they could of chopped off 60km.

Agreed. I actually love watching the sprint stages but I'm guilty of only really watching the last 10ish KMs of those stages. But that last KM is usually pretty good...

Which means I should be home today in time to catch the finale live...

I'm in with a vote for Farrar.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Only 21 degrees at the start today according to the official ticker. If the heat really was what slowed Cav down on stage 2 then he ought to be just fine today.

craig1985 said:

They need 190km flat stages so that you can say that it is a tour of a country. For me the first 130 km dont really exist anyway since coverage only starts at 60k and even then i probably will only watch the last 10 k.

TRENDING THREADS