• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 8 Villena - Xorret del Catí 190km

Vuelta a España - Stage 8 Villena - Xorret del Catí 190km

mapa8.jpg

8_perfil.gif

good stage.

Let the fireworks begin.

Last Kms:

Climbs:
Puerto de Onil 6,4km @ 5,00% 3rd cat
Puerto de Tudons 6,9km @ 4,78% 2nd cat
Puerto de Torremanzanas 8,3km @ 5,30% 2nd cat
Puerto de la Carrasqueta 11,0km @ 4,77% 2nd cat
Alto Xorret del Catí 3,8km @ 11,56% 1st cat
Cati profile:

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
sigsky said:
This is going to be fun! Video starts 15 minutes early tomorrow.

The previous climb is 30 km before, so the race will be limited to the last climb. Oh, we'll have 15 minutes more of live coverage to enjoy the desertic landscape :D

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Roche.

Well, it could happen.

Actually, scratch that. DANIELSON.

They're both on my Virtual Director Sportif team, so I'd be fine with it. But I'd really like to see Nibali and Rodriguez put time into Schleck, and maybe Menchov get into the action.

Those two sprint points are awfully close to each other. I wonder if it's possible for fans to get from spot one to spot two to watch the race like they do in some classics?

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
They're both on my Virtual Director Sportif team, so I'd be fine with it. But I'd really like to see Nibali and Rodriguez put time into Schleck, and maybe Menchov get into the action.

Those two sprint points are awfully close to each other. I wonder if it's possible for fans to get from spot one to spot two to watch the race like they do in some classics?

Google Earth shows them about 1.5 KM apart. No problem. You could walk it easy. Pretty much same elevation too.

Frank Schleck to win.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:

Those towns' centers are 4 kms apart.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Viskovitz said:
The profile of Xorret de Catí: http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=258

This will be a 5km race.

Mellow Velo said:
Last Kms:

Climbs:
Puerto de Onil 6,4km @ 5,00% 3rd cat
Puerto de Tudons 6,9km @ 4,78% 2nd cat
Puerto de Torremanzanas 8,3km @ 5,30% 2nd cat
Puerto de la Carrasqueta 11,0km @ 4,77% 2nd cat
Alto Xorret del Catí 3,8km @ 11,56% 1st cat
Cati profile:

Nice, Viskovitz, Mellow. This is great for us Fantasy Players! Really cool. Are you putting this up for all stages?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
manolo said:
Nice, Viskovitz, Mellow. This is great for us Fantasy Players! Really cool. Are you putting this up for all stages?

Both linked at steephill.tv.

Last year's winneer, Gustavo Cesar Veloso (XAC) is racing, and the stage could favour a break. I think he'll have another go.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Ruben Plaza wants to go for it.

The Caisse d'Epargne rider Ruben Plaza believes that the stage on Saturday will be the first test for the favorites in the Tour of Spain. The Alicante occupies ninth place overall and appears excited to be racing in his homeland. "It will be the first time to mark differences among the favorites. It is a journey already known by all, since it has been uploaded several times before, "says Plaza.

"It motivates me greatly to get home and some family and friends are coming to see me. It is an area I know I usually train for it, "added the broker. It also explains that "the fact of having several well-placed runners in general can be an advantage, depending on how the day develops."

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=30091

Other GC guys have said it's a chance to see who's really in for a chance. I always like to see the effort of escapees rewarded, so if they win and there's still a selection among the GC riders, it would be fun to watch.

I think the one thing that might dampen the chances a bit are the time bonuses. If you've got a guy like Nibali who is feeling "good sensations" on the day, I think he'd have the team chase down the break so he could attack and gain the bonus seconds as well. It should be fun as the strong descenders go for it. I can't wait.

Quite a few mountain points on offer tomorrow, the main contenders for that will likely be looking to get in the break. Moncoutie seems an obvious candidate here.

Be interesting to see if any potential 10th to 15th on GC people can get in the break. They will still be close enough at the moment to threaten the overall lead if they stay away. Maybe van Garderen, Peraud, LL Sanchez, Kashechkin, Gusev.... The teams of the leaders might not want to work from a long way out until they know the relative strengths of the leaders. I dont think we can expect a repeat of the Giro though;)

I'll go for Moncoutie to win from the break with LL Sanchez going close to taking red. Rodriguez pulls a little ahead of the other GC guys on the climb but Nibali then drops Anton on the descent and is able to get enough of a lead on Rod in the last kilometre and a half to win and take red.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Here's the stage from 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1F2txM3TTA

I belive it's the same finish

There is no other place around to set up the stage finish unless they put it in the middle of nowhere halfway the descent. The next place on that road where they can set a stage finish is the next town, almost 15 kms away from the mountain top, but then the stage would no longer be Villena - Xorret del Catí.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame about Team Sky, but it was the right thing do.

I watched the youtube video. The climb seems sincere enough. The four-way split screen is brilliant. I know the cameras switched during the descent, but it's still about the straightest one I've ever seen. Looks like it's more about raw speed than bike handling. I hope there's a meaningful battle on the climb.

TRENDING THREADS