• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2018 Rumours

As the dust from the 2017 edition settles, let's create the thread for posting news and rumours on next year's race.

So far we only know the town hosting the departure. It will be in Malaga on the weekend of 25/26 August.
The link below states that the start is delayed one week to avoid the date clash with the Feria de Malaga, but I see the Tour also starts one week after, surely to minimise the date clash with the World Cup.

http://www.ciclo21.com/vuelta-espana-2018/

It is not yet decided if the opening stage will be a TTT or an ITT. But we haven't had an opening ITT since 2009, and that was before Guillén, so there's little suspense here.

The link also mentions that the 2019 edition is almost sure to start somewhere in the province of Alicante and for 2020 they plan to go abroad and start in Utrech (Nederland).

I'm catching up with old news. This is from the day the Vuelta finished in Cuenca, almost 3 weeks ago!

The President of the region of Castilla la Mancha has proposed to Unipublic the towns of Almadén and Talavera de la Reina to host a stage finish in 2018, and Toledo to host a stage finish in 2019.
Interestingly, the 2011 Vuelta had a stage departing from Almadén and finishing in Talavera de la Reina. Both towns are close to the border between Castilla la Mancha and Extremadura.

http://ahoraclm.com/2017/08/26/page-propone-proximo-ano-la-vuelta-ciclista-espana-visite-talavera/

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
I want

Gamoniteiro
Pradel
Fuente Escondida because why the hell not
Gravel roads
Pico Veleta south side
Canary Islands
Prologue

ONE TIMEEE

Gamoniteiro: the Angliru's brother. According to Guillén, it would be an extraordinary climb for Vuelta but there is not enough space at the top of it.

gamoniteiro_05.jpg

Pico Veleta: the problem is the wind, too strong over there.

Canary islands: the problem here is the logistic. Too expensive for Vuelta.

ice&fire said:
The link also mentions that the 2019 edition is almost sure to start somewhere in the province of Alicante and for 2020 they plan to go abroad and start in Utrech (Nederland).

Wales is putting together a bid for a Giro start/stage (per various BBC articles recently. RCS were there for the ToB stage in Wales). I don't know if they will try for as early as 2020, but maybe the next foreign start after that.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
ice&fire said:

Wales is putting together a bid for a Giro start/stage (per various BBC articles recently. RCS were there for the ToB stage in Wales). I don't know if they will try for as early as 2020, but maybe the next foreign start after that.

I just read that next years start of the Giro is in ISrael...

Re: Re:

Asturiano said:
Red Rick said:
I want

Gamoniteiro
Pradel
Gravel roads
Pico Veleta south side
Canary Islands
Prologue

ONE TIMEEE

Gamoniteiro: the Angliru's brother. According to Guillén, it would be an extraordinary climb for Vuelta but there is not enough space at the top of it.

gamoniteiro_05.jpg

filename-ripride-19-jpg.jpg

Once they reach the top, let them slide into their team's bus.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

lenric said:
Asturiano said:
Red Rick said:
I want

Gamoniteiro
Pradel
Gravel roads
Pico Veleta south side
Canary Islands
Prologue

ONE TIMEEE

gamoniteiro_05.jpg

They can slide to the top of Angliru and I'm not joking.

Asturiano said:
lenric said:
Asturiano said:
Red Rick said:
I want

Gamoniteiro
Pradel
Gravel roads
Pico Veleta south side
Canary Islands
Prologue

ONE TIMEEE

gamoniteiro_05.jpg

They can slide to the top of Angliru and I'm not joking.

Crowdfund to build a road inbetween?

More old news.

The president of the region of Cantabria was delighted with the impact of the Machucos stage in terms of promotion and economic return and said that the race will return to the region next year.

I can imagine his chat with Froome at the start of the stage to Santo Toribio:
I heard you said yesterday that Los Machucos is a climb you'd never like to ride again. Would you like Peña Cabarga instead?

He also said that he would like to have in the future a stage through the Tunel de la Engaña. That's a two-way tunnel in an abandoned railway they plan to restore for hikers and cyclists. The tunnel is just halfway to one of the easiest climbs connecting Cantabria with Burgos (Estacas de Trueba) and is almost 7km long. I can't see a race going through a tunnel that long and having the finish near the entry would be just a lame MTF of 7km @ 5%.

http://www.europapress.es/cantabria/noticia-vuelta-espana-volvera-cantabria-2018-20170907165523.html

Re:

Red Rick said:
So Gamoniteiro is never gonna happen?

I know the Gamoniteiro because i live near the climb . There aren't enough space in the final but i think that if la Vuelta REALLY wants the Gamoniteiro in his race , they will get the Gamoniteiro in the race

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

I know the Gamoniteiro because i live near the climb . There aren't enough space in the final but i think that if la Vuelta REALLY wants the Gamoniteiro in his race , they will get the Gamoniteiro in the race

Guillen answered me he thought Gamoniteiru would be something very impressive for La Vuelta but he didn't know they way he could find enough space at the top.

For me, Gamoniteiru is Angliru's brother.