• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 Rumours

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
How's Dumoulin's rehab? I doubt he will be ready from what I heard before the Tour.

I think Movistar will be the team to beat, realistically they will have 3 riders how can place very high in the overall, but can they make it work like in the Giro? Lotto looks quite good with Rogla + Kruijswijk as well, I suspect the former to be in great shape when the race rolls around, maybe the single biggest favourite. Lopez seems like a great bet at this point as well considering it seems there's a decent amount of great GC-riders who are skipping this race for various reasons, maybe including all the Ineos-guys. Mas will need a great Vuelta after this pretty horrendous Tour.

Dno who actually can win apart from those names. Will be interesting to see who shows up in the first place, the Vuelta always delivers a quite good race no matter what.
Last I heard Vuelta was unlikely cause the knee was worse than expected and he couldn't do any high intensity work.

That was the 10th of July. All Dumoulin news since then has been about a possible transfer

Then there's always the option of Sunweb deciding to keep Dumoulin out of the Vuelta if he wants to leave.

All in all, if Roglic shows up prepared to ride for GC I think he's the standout favorite.

I think Roglic is favorite too, if he has support. With De Plus in Giro, with same form that he had in the Tour, I dont think Carapaz would have won. At least it would have been a lot closer. So if he going to Vuelta with Kruijswjik and some others on the team. He will have a very good chance. But who knows. Better climbers could ambush or just simply outclimb Roglic.

Salvarani said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
How's Dumoulin's rehab? I doubt he will be ready from what I heard before the Tour.

I think Movistar will be the team to beat, realistically they will have 3 riders how can place very high in the overall, but can they make it work like in the Giro? Lotto looks quite good with Rogla + Kruijswijk as well, I suspect the former to be in great shape when the race rolls around, maybe the single biggest favourite. Lopez seems like a great bet at this point as well considering it seems there's a decent amount of great GC-riders who are skipping this race for various reasons, maybe including all the Ineos-guys. Mas will need a great Vuelta after this pretty horrendous Tour.

Dno who actually can win apart from those names. Will be interesting to see who shows up in the first place, the Vuelta always delivers a quite good race no matter what.
Last I heard Vuelta was unlikely cause the knee was worse than expected and he couldn't do any high intensity work.

That was the 10th of July. All Dumoulin news since then has been about a possible transfer

Then there's always the option of Sunweb deciding to keep Dumoulin out of the Vuelta if he wants to leave.

All in all, if Roglic shows up prepared to ride for GC I think he's the standout favorite.

I think Roglic is favorite too, if he has support. With De Plus in Giro, with same form that he had in the Tour, I dont think Carapaz would have won. At least it would have been a lot closer. So if he going to Vuelta with Kruijswjik and some others on the team. He will have a very good chance. But who knows. Better climbers could ambush or just simply outclimb Roglic.
I think Roglic underperformed in the mountains a bit in the Giro, due to peaking a bit too early. He was stronger in the 3rd week of the Tour last year. I don't think the Vuelta has many climbs where he would lose major time, and the TTT and ITT are just perfect for him.

Superman to take this would be nice :)
I really thought Roglic would pick Giro, so it's not that evident he will take the Vuelta. Podium, yes.
I hope it's not follower Kruijswijk who picks another podium spot :)
Curious to see what Carapaz does after the Giro.

A nice sketch of all stages:

EAl4G5iXoAABZ9q.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/TimBonvilleGinn/status/1155586851572539394

HelloDolly said:
Red Rick said:
Looks like Jumbo is bringing a train. Roglic, Kruijswijk, Bennett and Gesink all confirmed for the Vuelta.

Will Bennett not get his chance on GC ??
Dunno. Think I heard something about that yeah, but I think that would mean they start with 3 "leaders" and just will quickly figure out who to really ride for.

Tony Martin will also ride the Vuelta, which should help in the TTT.

Red Rick said:
HelloDolly said:
Red Rick said:
Looks like Jumbo is bringing a train. Roglic, Kruijswijk, Bennett and Gesink all confirmed for the Vuelta.

Dunno. Think I heard something about that yeah, but I think that would mean they start with 3 "leaders" and just will quickly figure out who to really ride for.

Wasn't Groenenwegen initially scheduled for the Vuelta as well?

Roglic probably starts off better, just to fade away in the mountains. Kruijswijk might be more steady to archive a top 5,but won't threaten for the race win at all. While Bennett probably won't be allowed to go stage hunting as he rides in support of two leaders.

Yeah, there's certainly the potential for a Movistar outcome!

staubsauger said:
Red Rick said:
HelloDolly said:
Red Rick said:

Yeah but they ditched that idea and decided Groenewegen will aim for the Euro's instead.

Red Rick said:
staubsauger said:
Red Rick said:
HelloDolly said:
Red Rick said:

Yeah but they ditched that idea and decided Groenewegen will aim for the Euro's instead.

The Vuelta and Euros don’t clash, do they?

Re:

yaco said:
This route seems a better route for the sprinters than the TDF - Or it's sprinter friendly by Vuelta standards - Of course the devil is in the detail.

Also, the Vuelta generally has much weaker domestiques, both because many riders are further down their team pecking order and because many of them aren’t in peak form. As a result, lots of breaks and late attacks can stay away that would have less chance in the Giro and almost none at the Tour.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
What sprinters are actually going to do the Vuelta anyway? Bennett, Jakobsen?...

Should be between those two every time. I dont see anyone really challenging them. But its the Vuelta, so that is nothing new. A few years ago Gianni Meersman was winning a bunch of Vuelta stages. So Bennett against Jakobsen is already an upgrade compared to Meersman vs Schwarzmann and Feline.

Never been one to speculate on such matters but there are whisperings that skineos are mobilising a hot new signing and bringing him to the Vuelta. Some say he has an eerily familiar air about him which you can't really pinpoint, and he's taken a vow of silence until all Brailsford's enemies have been eliminated?

stong.png

TomLPC said:
Never been one to speculate on such matters but there are whisperings that skineos are mobilising a hot new signing and bringing him to the Vuelta. Some say he has an eerily familiar air about him which you can't really pinpoint, and he's taken a vow of silence until all Brailsford's enemies have been eliminated?

script>

Your picture doesn't show, so it's all very mysterious.

tobydawq said:
TomLPC said:

<blockquote%20class="imgur-embed-pub"%20lang="en"%20da
ta-id="a/kDH1tDP"><a%20href="//imgur.com/a/kDH1tDP"></a></blockquote><script%20async%20src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"%20charset="utf-8"></script>

Your picture doesn't show, so it's all very mysterious.

The entire forum decided to crash the second I posted the scuffed image, the plot thickens

TRENDING THREADS