• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 11 (Villaviciosa › Alto de La Farrapona. Lagos de Somiedo 170km)

vuelta-a-espana-2020-stage-11-profile-74e6873628.jpg

Mandatory viewing

Copy/pasting from another thread:

This is one of the best designed stages in Vuelta history, which of course is not saying much. I'd argue that this stage is actually harder than the Angliru stage and in theory has more potential to create big gaps. The two last mountain passes could very well be labelled HC/Esp., and Farrapona is a hard 1st Cat.

Why the Vuelta would label all the last four climbs as 1st Cat. is beyond me.

Lsjwp6syiKjR2XHUSPvXLZ-970-80.jpg.webp

ColladonaS.gif

CobertoriaE.gif

SanLorenzoE.gif

FarraponaW.gif

If anything, Farrapona is perhaps a bit too hard, decreasing the chance of GC action on San Lorenzo. And then of course, with Angliru on Sunday...

The break would have to be extremely lucky and strong in composition to make it all the way to the finish... Right now, the only thing I'm sure is Guillaume Martin will be in a break tomorrow hunting KOM points but not sure if he'll survive until the finish... I know Vlasov said he really wants to win on Angliru so I wouldn't bet on him to go for it tomorrow but he still might end up up there, top 10, at the finish... Otherwise, it's all GC guys fighting it out...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Could go to break, but I'm not sure the break climbing field is good enough to survive this stage.

Carapaz could go on San Lorenzo but Jumbo is simply the stronger team right now. Expecting an attack in the final 5km. Potentially a very similar scenario to 2014.

Very good stage design, shame the angliru is the day after. I expect movistar to be aggressive and try and put guys in the break. Will be a hard stage to control.

Apparently Mas was actually asked that question and his response was that any tactics for tomorrow will be discussed later. Which well, this is Movistar, of course they don't currently have a plan for tomorrow because well it's tomorrow.

Apparently Mas was actually asked that question and his response was that any tactics for tomorrow will be discussed later. Which well, this is Movistar, of course they don't currently have a plan for tomorrow because well it's tomorrow.
Movistar I think don't discuss tactics for tomorrow they just talk about what should've happened today

Stage designing at the Vuelta doesn't get much better than this, but putting it before the Angliru and in the second week will likely decrease the chances of early action.

Break could have a chance but it needs to be filled with good climbers and there aren't many of them far enough from the red jersey to be let go. It'd be great to see someone like Soler, Vlasov, Gaudu in it but I doubt Jumbo will let it happen.

Reactions: Sandisfan
After Mas' comment about strategy, Valverde was asked and his comment was basically there are several options and we'd decide later. He also made a comment about we've been aggressive and will continue to be. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't, but we'll be there. So take from that whatever you wish, other than it sounds like they don't have any idea what they are planning for these two stages.

Maybe Movistar have a roulette wheel with their 3 leaders race numbers on and whoever it lands on is the days designated leader.

Movistar tactics are as drunk as always. The only difference is, now they're all friends, and are all drunk together!

:beercheers:

At least this year they're having fun with it and not racing against each other. Did you see the interview Valverde and Mas did before stage 8 when Valverde had Mas laughing for most of the interview after he said Mas was the big favorite of the stage and Mas tried to say No and then started laughing and couldn't stop? That actually leads to your conclusion being possible.

TRENDING THREADS