• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 12 (Pola de Laviana > Alto de l'Angliru, 109.4 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Look at the smiling face, in contrast to the suffering of Nibali. Still remember how utterly ridiculous that performance felt; even worse than Froome doing a Landis, as Bennett put it at the time. Hahahaha can't help but laugh seeing Horner looking so at ease :tearsofjoy:
Horner has said that he did 390W for over 40min at 135 pounds/61kg on that stage so yeah, who in the hell would have dropped that version of Horner?

Look at the smiling face, in contrast to the suffering of Nibali. Still remember how utterly ridiculous that performance felt; even worse than Froome doing a Landis, as Bennett put it at the time. Hahahaha can't help but laugh seeing Horner looking so at ease :tearsofjoy:

I still shake my head 7 years later.

For this stage I think Roglic drops Carapaz.

According to Enric Mas he thinks his legs should be good for tomorrow on Angliru, however I'm not sure how well Angliru fits him.

Funny enough Soler says he should be fine tomorrow and his biggest issue today was thinking the head wind couldn't be as bad as everyone was telling him. LOL. Now, the second half I have no problem believing, the first part, he was done at the end of the stage, so I suspect he'll struggle a bit tomorrow.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Funny enough Soler says he should be fine tomorrow and his biggest issue today was thinking the head wind couldn't be as bad as everyone was telling him. LOL. Now, the second half I have no problem believing, the first part, he was done at the end of the stage, so I suspect he'll struggle a bit tomorrow.

on that climb, he was always going to. Now he has quite a good excuse for it at least, though ;)

Reactions: Koronin
I really hope Kuss will be freed tomorrow, if Roglic is not in danger and can stay with Carapaz... But I'm not so sure Jumbo lets him to leave his side... He would win this one... Vlasov is gonna go for it and with a little luck might get it... Wout despite this being his mountain of glory and doing pretty well in this Vuelta on steep finishes, the father time is catching up to him... I'd say in the top 5 for him.

Carapaz is going to go for it, with everything he's got. He has to... But I'm not so sure about him putting enough time into Roglic tomorrow. I'd expect him to finish before Roglic but is it going to be just a couple of seconds or a minute, and more? Most likely, they'd finish together... Roglic, oh well, he is Roglic. He is going to play defense and stay glued to Carapaz wheel, for as long as he can... And if he happens to be close to him at the top of the climb and can win it, he will...

The rest of the GC gang, Carthy, Mas, Martin, will just hang on and try to control/limit their losses agains each other.

Reactions: Sandisfan
so far carapaz has shown talent for attacking too early and often, if roglic is just sitting on his wheel shadowing, at some point hes gonna crack and roglic with his godlike timing wins, i dont think we need to overcomplicate things, roglic is the strongest and is not showing any signs of troubles

Photos from Angliru in 2013 - Kenny Elissonde wins sirotti/flockton/reuters
http://www.steephill.tv/2013/vuelta-a-espana/photos/stage-20/

270-IMG_3545_edited-1.jpg

265-RTX13LAD.jpg

260-RTX13LAA.jpg

Last kms:

View: https://youtu.be/_c6j3y-Bv1I
Wow if you watch closely Horner actually sits down occasionally :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Lequack
In 1999, when this climb was held for the first time David Millar refused to cross the line and withdrew a few meters before the finish. There were protests of riders and team leaders that it was inhumane. Nowadays it's largely accepted as the climax of a normal Vuelta.

Jumbo will control the race until 7 km before the finish, and even then Sepp Kuss can drag Roglic further up. The Slovenian knows he can afford to lose half a minute with a time trial coming up and an easy third week. Carapaz needs a huge performance if he wants to win the Vuelta.

I would like to see Chaves win the stage, but that probably won't happen.

In 1999, when this climb was held for the first time David Millar refused to cross the line and withdrew a few meters before the finish. There were protests of riders and team leaders that it was inhumane. Nowadays it's largely accepted as the climax of a normal Vuelta.

Jumbo will control the race until 7 km before the finish, and even then Sepp Kuss can drag Roglic further up. The Slovenian knows he can afford to lose half a minute with a time trial coming up and an easy third week. Carapaz needs a huge performance if he wants to win the Vuelta.

I would like to see Chaves win the stage, but that probably won't happen.
I suspect that contemporary gearing is a factor. I don't envy riders who tackled the Abgliru with a 53×39.

Reactions: del1962
Yesterday's stage had beautiful sceneries, great climbs and...zero GC action. All because of the monster ahead: Angliru. They shouldn't have put these stages consecutively. Today there will be no hiding in last 5-6 km with average grade of 13-14% and max. above 20%. At such low speeds holding wheel gives nothing (minimal aerodynamic drag) so the riders will have to work for themselves like in a TT and will be arriving at the finish one by one. I'm expecting a lot of action but it will be tough for others to put substantial time into in-form Roglic, who can make a big step towards winning the race today. My prediction: Carapaz.

The weather was absolutely shitty though. Ascending 20+% grade is a nightmare if the asphalt is wet. This coupled with the first time usage made the shock understandable.