• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 3 (Lodosa - La Laguna Negra-Vinuesa, 166.1 km)

On the day the Giro has the hardest mountain stage of the season, the Vuelta... doesn't.

Climbs:
OncalaN.gif

(the profile above shows the second half of the climb only)

...and then the final climb, easily the weakest MTF of the race.
LagunaNegraDeUrbionS.gif

Reactions: JosefK
I think this coudl really go to a break if the break is pretty big and nobody wants to help Jumbo. But I initially thought the climb would be harder to control. Instead it's initially way easier than I thought and you can still basically catch an attacker in the final 500m if you give him 10 seconds.

Agreed. Plus, this isn't hard enough stage for a break to succeed... It'll come down again to the main GC guys, especially since it's a MTF... Roglic, Carapaz, Martin, Mas, Chaves... There you have the top 5 tomorrow, in any order;)
I don't think it's hard enough for a break to not succeed. There's nothing for sprinter teams to chase for (unlike Friday, when Bora and Quickstep will be working for Ackerman and Bennett), but there's no benefit whatsoever to Jumbo to chase down any attacks.

The only problem for JV is that with 2 hard-ish mountain stages done and dusted, there isn't a classics rider or a sprinter within 5 minutes of the lead who they could just allow to go up the road and borrow the jersey until the Tourmalet. Anyone still in the top 25 is still a theoretical, potential threat.

Reactions: richwallone

TRENDING THREADS