• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 6 (Biescas - Aramón Formigal, 146.6 km)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't know if the profiles are really deceiving and it's very irregular despite the easy average gradient?

But I think it's mostly been twice a super weak defenging team along with climbs easy enough that riders aren't afraid to throw in the gauntlet

I can think of a couple of reasons, like the irregular asphalt and the wind exposure at the top that makes it a kind of baby Ventoux. But yeah mostly I think it's just been the circumstances being right.

a cl
I can think of a couple of reasons, like the irregular asphalt and the wind exposure at the top that makes it a kind of baby Ventoux. But yeah mostly I think it's just been the circumstances being right.

Someone much more knowledgeable than me on the history of specific climbs can probably give a much more informed opinion, but I always wonder how much the way a climb is ridden begins to become self fulfilling.

The more times a stage involving Formigal provides action and gaps the more times riders race it expecting opportunity and jumping when the chance presents itself etc.

Well no Movistar documentary this year due to Covid, otherwise they were planning on doing another one this year. If they can get figure out how to do one next year they want to try again for another one. I'm sure you'd see something very different from last year. As I've said you have 3 leaders who actually get along with each other and are friends. It's possible that Mas knew Soler had better legs today and told him to go. Who knows. The closer both Soler and Mas are to the time of the leader the better for team. They are also both still learning. One other thing is I do not know if Mas typically has issues in cold/rainy weather or not. It's possible. He is from Mallorca, although he does have a place in Andorra.

Jackets not causing problems only in the Giro but apparently in Vuelta, too. But Roglič remains serene and has a positive attitude in the interview:

Ineos and Castelli’s new, patented, GT-winning, Marginal Rains jackets with their innovative Easy-Arm technology that allows you to pull them on over your head whilst still reading your power meter, will be available for Christmas.

Just like we found in the Pyrenées last month, racing is vastly improved by the removal of Sepp Kuss from it.
You really dont like this guy, do you?..

Anyways, 2016 had nothing to do with the Formigal IMO, that would have happened on any other mediocre climb as well. But is it indeed quite funny how this climb somehow founds a way to be relevant to the GC when it really shouldn't.

Anyways, 2016 had nothing to do with the Formigal IMO, that would have happened on any other mediocre climb as well. But is it indeed quite funny how this climb somehow founds a way to be relevant to the GC when it really shouldn't.
Look at the mountain stages of the Tour and tell me I'm wrong. All the best mountain stages were the ones where Sepp was removed from the equation.

Maybe it works because it’s a mediocre climb. 2016 Sky would have all been on the front from the start if it was a big day with a major climb like the Angliru at the finish.

Reactions: gunara
Maybe it works because it’s a mediocre climb. 2016 Sky would have all been on the front from the start if it was a big day with a major climb like the Angliru at the finish.
Nah cause then you can use that argument for a climb like Orcieres-Merlette, Macugnaga, Montervergine etc. where jackshit happens cause climb is too easy to do anything. I think today had to do with circumstances, normally you dont have this cold weather in La Vuelta and 2016 was just weird and fantastic at the same time

Reactions: richwallone
Why? Just out of curiosity. I'm sure there's lots of evidence to support taking the leader's jersey whenever you can, and vice versa. Or do you see today as just a one-off b/c of the weather?

Froome usually had the yellow jersey in his possession by the first rest day. Thomas waited a bit longer to take yellow but GVA was kind of a non-factor anyways.
In his 2017 Vuelta win, Froome had the red jersey for 19stages. In the 2017 Tour Sky had the yellow jersey for 19stages.

I don't think the teams really care.

Reactions: Red Rick
Froome usually had the yellow jersey in his possession by the first rest day. Thomas waited a bit longer to take yellow but GVA was kind of a non-factor anyways.
In his 2017 Vuelta win, Froome had the red jersey for 19stages. In the 2017 Tour Sky had the yellow jersey for 19stages.

I don't think the teams really care.
I think it would be more true to say “Froome tended to wait until the first major mountain stage to take the lead.” The exception to that was 2017 when G won the “prologue.”

Teams who are set up to win the Tour are usually happy to have the leader’s jersey, but when they have it they’re expected to defend it, and that can be quite a workload for domestiques. It’s why Astana were happy to let Gallopin take yellow for a day in 2014. Lemond took yellow “too early” in 1991, (after the ITT on stage 8) and his team, who picked a lot of climbers for the mountain stages at the back end of the Tour, had to ride to control flat stages in Norther France early in the 2nd week, and by the time the mountains rolled around they were spent. Lemond was on his own from day 1 in the Pyrenees and his race was over.

True! Although if you get cold enough, it can be quite the shock to your system, and make you more susceptible to getting sick. Also, some people don't recover very well from getting really cold.

Also cold is relative as to what temperature you start feeling cold at, as much of that depends on where you live. If you live in colder climates you will start feeling cold at a lower temperature than someone who lives in a warmer climate.

TRENDING THREADS