• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2021 route rumours

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
About the route, I'm a bit unsure what to think of it. Some of the mountain stages are better looking than most from the previous editions and there are some really nice medium mountain stages. But there are a few things about this route that really stand out to me and none of them are positives.

The Gamoniteiru mtf in particular is massively annoying me. I don't think it's a good mtf in general, it's one of those monster climbs with the steepest ramps right at the end, but I particularly dislike how it's placed. It's the final big mountain stage, so it will be in the back of the heads of the riders for almost the entire race, it comes right after another mountain stage, probably neutralizing it, yet it still comes before the only somewhat long TT of the race so some climbers might not approach this climb as aggressively as they would otherwise. It's also just so much harder than any other mtf in this vuelta (except if I'm forgetting something right now) that it will be the focus point for all gc riders going into the race. We have seen time and time again that's not a formula leading to good racing yet here we are.

The 2nd thing I really dislike is the combination of stage 20 and 21. I really like that the Vuelta decided to go for a medium mountain stage on the penultimate day again. That formula has worked really well in the past (thinking of 2015 and 2019) and this stage has a very similar appeal. In principle I'm also happy they put at least one somewhat lengthy TT in the route and I'm not against stage 21 TT's in principle either. But in this case, that TT will completely kill stage 20 and that's just a pity. It also means that Gamoniteiru becomes even more important for the climbers as they won't want to bet on an all or nothing attack on stage 20 and I think you know by now that I'm not happy about this.

Then lastly, it feels like there are more really flat stages than usually. Don't know if my memory is deceiving me since I don't think many others have criticized that aspect, but for the gt that makes a huge fuzz about having hardly any pure sprint stages, this route as quite a lot of pure sprint stages. Now I don't need a big mountain stage every day, but imo the fact that almost every day had the potential of catching a gc rider off guard has been the main appeal for the Vuelta lately, as the mountain stages themselves are usually rather underwhelming. I think I counted something like 7 stages which I would expect to end in a bunch sprint and that's just a tad much for me.

As for Gamoniteiro in itself, I think it's a pretty great monster MTF. Yes, the very steepest KM is the final one, but other than that, it ticks off all the other boxes. It has greater vertical gain and steeper gradient than Portet, but it's not as steep as Mortirolo.

Gamoniteiro.gif

Of course, I agree completely wrt. its poor placement, penultimate Friday or Saturday would be the best.

CN forum for the last 12 years: "We want Gamoniteiro"

CN forum: Gets Gamoniteiro

CN forum: "We don't want Gamoniteiro anymore

Similar to so much of the whinging that goes on about Grand Tour routes these days. I remember when I first joined a cycling forum back in 2005/06, there was nothing only complaining about too many TT km in the grand tours and not enough MTFs. Now it seems to have come full circle. Now we seem to want more TT kilometres and less MTF because they are only raced in the last km or because they are 'poorly positioned.' Yikes!! Sometimes you can never win.

Reactions: tobydawq
Similar to so much of the whinging that goes on about Grand Tour routes these days. I remember when I first joined a cycling forum back in 2005/06, there was nothing only complaining about too many TT km in the grand tours and not enough MTFs. Now it seems to have come full circle. Now we seem to want more TT kilometres and less MTF because they are only raced in the last km or because they are 'poorly positioned.' Yikes!! Sometimes you can never win.

Nah, even there are disagreements about TT kms and MTFs, I think that the by far most common issue on the design of Grand Tours in this forum is that there are too few stages which promotes attack from further out than the few last km. Especially in the Vuelta, but also to an increasing degree in the Tour, they are relying on MTFs and particularly MTFs with the steepest section in the end. That is not a good recipe for having more than 10-15 mins of action.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Nah, even there are disagreements about TT kms and MTFs, I think that the by far most common issue on the design of Grand Tours in this forum is that there are too few stages which promotes attack from further out than the few last km. Especially in the Vuelta, but also to an increasing degree in the Tour, they are relying on MTFs and particularly MTFs with the steepest section in the end. That is not a good recipe for having more than 10-15 mins of action.........

But then when the early action actually does happen, it is swept under the rug and disregarded as pure luck and circumstance.

Reactions: yaco
But then when the early action actually does happen, it is swept under the rug and disregarded as pure luck and circumstance
I don't think there is many that would characterize any stage involving climbs like Mortirolo or Finestre as luck and circumstance. Or the Stelvio stage last year. Or the Cortina stage this year if that is action-packed........

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS