• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 17 (Unquera - Lagos de Covadonga, 185.8 km)

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Roglič hadn't gone with Bernal (ok a risky move maybe, but nothing stupid about it), we would have had the same outcome but gaps would have been a lot smaller. Maybe a couple of small attacks by Mas and MAL, but nothing major would have happened. Now, luckily, we've seen one of the best stages of the year. Kudos to Bernal for igniting the whole thing, he just ran into a better champion. He has a chance tomorrow to attack the Movistar duo for a place on the podium.

Bernal gained absolutely nothing from all that. It was fun to watch, but all it did was launch Roglic and blowing himself up.

Well I take that back, they managed to drop Eiking and Martin. Everyone played into TBV’s hands today and paid for it.
Yes, but if Roglic hadn't gone with Bernal, not sure what might have happened--maybe guys watching each other too long?

Can we talk about Movistar now? or do we need to wait for tomorrow?

They need to learn to take risks. But let's wait until tomorrow because a lot of things can happen tomorrow.
Yes, shoulda went all out 90's style with clinicky stuff. Then it would seem like a tactical masterclass dropping Roglic with 4 minutes.

Unfortunately, when you arent that strong, its hard to look good tactically.

Its really not that hard to understand. Get beat by a far superior rider, it is what it is. As I said before, ITS NOT MORE COMPLICATED THAN THAT.

Tomorrow's finishing climb

vuelta-a-espana-2021-stage-18-climb-n4-7cab6ae9c0.jpg
Is this one of those rare moments we can unironically say some riders will pay for their effort?

Can someone give me a recap? I only got on with about 8 Ks to go...
I figured that Elissonde abandonded, and this time it was actually him. Eiking crashed. And there was some attacking...
Chaos all day, but Bernal attacked balls deep on the penultimate climb, only Roglic followed, they had 45s on the top, bombed down the descent, and Roglic cooperated and they gained more time in the valley until it started dropping just before the bottom of Covadonga. Then Roglic started riding on Covadonga and dropped Bernal straight off the wheel, and gained about ~10s on the guys behind him on the climb.

TRENDING THREADS