• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 17 (Unquera - Lagos de Covadonga, 185.8 km)

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglic could say hello to all the finishers

E-NXDVkXEAQBG5-
LOL. Roglic trying to discourage the contenders!!!!!!

Simply epic! Congrats to Roglic on his greatest victory and also congrats to Bernal on a fantastic long-range attack!

When I saw Ineos pushing hard on Colleda Llomena and recalled Bernal's recent interview I felt big things are about to happen. Bernal's attack was brutal and only Roglic followed. They gained 45 seconds pretty quickly, it was a very intense effort from both guys, some distance above anaerobic threshold. They gained even more on the wet descent (Bernal misjudged one curve but fortunately nothing happened to him, some guys from the chasing group fell down including the leader) and increasing the gap to 1'30''. Primoz initially only followed the wheel but started helping Bernal when the road got flatter. They initially increased the gap to over 2' but started losing it before Covadonga (it came back to 1'30''). This flat part was very difficult for the duo. Especially for Egan, who is smaller and generates less watts. He went too deep for his capacities and payed for it on the Covadonga. I feel sorry for him, he was definitely a hero and made the race today and I wanted him to reach the podium. Primoz didn't accelerate hard, it was the Colombian who couldn't maintain the pace. From then on Roglic was closing on most epic victory in his life in a dramatic scenery of rainy and cloudy mountains. Chapeau bas!

I struggle to see what Movistar did wrong.
Lopez tried to go after Bernal and Roglic but wasnt strong enough. The last climb also clearly showed Mas didn't have the legs.
What should they have done differently?
I agree. If anyone is to "blame" it's Bahrain, who preferred to save Mäder for a potential Top 10 GC + Team Classification instead of starting a full-out chase when it was still possible. But in the end Haig didn't look great either, so maybe they were also right not to even try, and risk to end up with nothing instead.

Zoncolan from Ovaro, Mortirolo and Finestre and that's probably it for me?
And Mortirolo is debatable I think. There are also a few others which I think are in a similar region of difficulty like Agnello, Angliru, Fauniera, Großglockner (the northern side was ridden in the Giro once, ages ago) or Blockhaus all the way to the top, but I don't think any of those is "clearly" harder. Togehter with the Angliru it's definitely one of the two hardest climbs in the history of the Vuelta.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the problem here is just Roglic starting to go down to soon. He should've been made to wait until at least first 10 riders behind him (all those who were likely to sprint for the line) have passed.
They shoud have been faster to the line then;)
Like I said I saw Bernal and the others going the same way later, disrupting the ones who sprinted for places around 30th for the stage. Why do people search for problems when there's none...

And Mortirolo is debatable I think. There are also a few others which I think are in a similar region of difficulty like Agnello, Angliru, Fauniera, Großglockner (the northern side was ridden in the Giro once, ages ago) or Blockhaus all the way to the top, but I don't think any of those is "clearly" harder. Togehter with the Angliru it's definitely one of the two hardest climbs in the history of the Vuelta.
I'm honestly not as high on Angliru anymore, because it's effectively like 6km

Reactions: Monte Serra
I agree. If anyone is to "blame" it's Bahrain, who preferred to save Mäder for a potential Top 10 GC + Team Classification instead of starting a full-out chase when it was still possible. But in the end Haig didn't look great either, so maybe they were also right not to even try, and risk to end up with nothing instead.

But isn't this what Movistar normally do, save Valverde for a potential top 10 in GC and Team classification. That must have been the problem for Movistar today, they still think Valverde is in the race. :D

Reactions: search