• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 20 (Sanxenxo - Castro de Herville, 202.2 km)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've heard Roglic said that Mas was ordered not to help the front group due to Lopez having been caught out. I'm more inclined to believe Roglic that Mas was ordered not to help. Roglic is know for giving creditable information when he does give information.
From what I've heard Roglic spend all the 2018 Tour telling Dumoulin he was so *** before attacking him so I dunno

If Lopez thought the team would sacrifice Mas' podium spot to try to help him back to the front, which likely wouldn't happen anyway, he's crazy. Mas made the split and his second place is fairly secure unless of he totally blows up in the ITT, which I'd be shocked about. Lopez did have Rojas pulling for awhile. If the team didn't want him to try to regain contact there is no way Rojas pulls like he did. That report is suspect at best.

Miguel Ángel López's partner, Natha Acevedo, has shared on his Instagram that the broker's representation agency will make a statement explaining the situation.

E-dS6fDWQAAxY2I
In as much as that tells us that MAL has at least been in touch with his loved ones, I'll take it as good news.

Because he's (Lopez) extremely emotional and temperamental (or at least he appears to be temperamental). So that's where it makes sense. Marc Soler may have thrown a fit when he was called back to help Quintana, but he also didn't abandon the race and did help later in the race.

But that call-back made much more sense than if López really was told to not bridge (which I still very much doubt).

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
But if he just didn't have the legs then it would no make sense to just abandon. Being told to not follow attack still makes the most sense.
Remember TeeJay in 2nd in the 2015 TDF after the Pyrenees and collapsing and DNF? It happens.

Movistar is an easy target for Colombian media because of Nairo and these reports started coming out of Colombia before the stage was even finished.

If Lopez thought the team would sacrifice Mas' podium spot to try to help him back to the front, which likely wouldn't happen anyway, he's crazy. Mas made the split and his second place is fairly secure unless of he totally blows up in the ITT, which I'd be shocked about. Lopez did have Rojas pulling for awhile. If the team didn't want him to try to regain contact there is no way Rojas pulls like he did. That report is suspect at best.
Nobody said that.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
lol at the fool who said Lopez should now just stage hunt. The man has rode the TDF now the last years and it has not gone well injuries falls covid and just general bad level. He can would easily be a favourite to podium Giro/Vuelta combo year after year. He would of had his 3rd podium more than likely he is 27 he is way ahead of Pinot's dramatics.

Now here's a question completely unrelated to Lopez:
The DQ riders finished side-by-side, so how was it decided in which order they should be listed on the result sheet? Did someone get the - frankly, unnecessary - task of checking the finish-line photo, or did they just draw straws?
Even when he tries to be joint last, Mauri Vansevenant can't quite reproduce what his father is most famous for.

hold on, if lopez was told to sit and not chase, who was benefiting from that? all that just to get rid of Bernal?
I don't get that either.
However, the order could have been made with the assumption that they were going to come back because the mountain was almost over. And all of a sudden the gap opened in a hurry. Then Movistar could have realized about the error. Especially that they didn't have anyone helping him. The funny thing is that Lopez had just responded to an attack. He looked OK. I don't understand.