• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 20 (Sanxenxo - Castro de Herville, 202.2 km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Having said that, not sure if I can recall Alberto ever actually risking a podium place in a GT with an all out attack (despite all of the "second place is no good" mythology).
Fuente De 2012? Froome was still in some degree of podium contention before the stage, and even disregarding that he was certainly risking his second place given that Valverde was close behind.

Am I the only one thinking this Vuelta hasn't been as exciting as the previous ones were? I'm not belittling Roglic, Mas or anyone else by no means.

That makes me think we might have some action from Movistar, but not anything out of ordinary considering Roglic will answer.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I expect absolutely nothing from Movistar. They are 100% happy with the results.
I don't expect anything from Haig. He is 100% happy where he is.
Roglic, no comment. He will be just paying attention and controlling.
Egan is the only one left who can do something. And he looks fatigued.
The stage looks very promising but there are a lot of tired legs!
Breakaway for the win obviously.

Fuente De 2012? Froome was still in some degree of podium contention before the stage, and even disregarding that he was certainly risking his second place given that Valverde was close behind.

Very good point.

Yes, the context that I was speaking of was that Contador was in a GT GC podium place, and had not made an all out attack.

When obviously in the 2012 Vuelta he did.

Now sheepishly awaiting my ban by @Red Rick ....

• Haha
Very good point.

Yes, the context that I was speaking of was that Contador was in a GT GC podium place, and had not made an all out attack.

When obviously in the 2012 Vuelta he did.

Now sheepishly awaiting my ban by @Red Rick ....
Not really.

With Fuente De I think the reverse implied odds weren't that high, because if you get caught early you recover and don't get dropped on the climb and if you get dropped late the climb is still not that hard and you don't lose too much.

There will be a win by the break with Guillaume Martin in it, who will lose a minute to the winner but still gain enough to become 6th, a placing he will lose tomorrow to finally finish 9th.

Gino Mäder will also be in the break and look like the winner for a long time before having a weird mechanical with messy car support in the last 25k, which makes him lose out.

The stage will be won by Juan Pedro López.

There will be a win by the break with Guillaume Martin in it, who will lose a minute to the winner but still gain enough to become 6th, a placing he will lose tomorrow to finally finish 9th.

Gino Mäder will also be in the break and look like the winner for a long time before having a weird mechanical with messy car support in the last 25k, which makes him lose out.

The stage will be won by Juan Pedro López.

69....those kinky French.

Am I the only one thinking this Vuelta hasn't been as exciting as the previous ones were? I'm not belittling Roglic, Mas or anyone else by no means.

That makes me think we might have some action from Movistar, but not anything out of ordinary considering Roglic will answer.

I agree, and given the start list it should have been. Not quite sure why but I haven't been as excited as I was during previous editions.

Maybe I just have a bit of pro cycling fatigue. Although I was pretty hyped for the Giro and it mostly delivered for me. And the ORR was way beyond my expectations.

Something to remember is this is the last stage for everyone, except for those interested in GC or the stage tomorrow.

The time limit in the TT doesn't matter (because you can't be eliminated... from a race which is over!), so tomorrow we could see riders finish way down in time & not care. So today is the day the Vuelta ends for 90% of the peloton.

And that goes for TJV as well, i.e. anyone working for Roglic can throw all their last bit of energy into the stage today.

Something to remember is this is the last stage for everyone, except for those interested in GC or the stage tomorrow.

The time limit in the TT doesn't matter (because you can't be eliminated... from a race which is over!), so tomorrow we could see riders finish way down in time & not care. So today is the day the Vuelta ends for 90% of the peloton.

And that goes for TJV as well, i.e. anyone working for Roglic can throw all their last bit of energy into the stage today.
So at the end of the day, the podium girls will kiss Kuss?

• Haha

The thing is, I think many in this race just don't have it at the moment. The guys who can do something are all pretty far up, at least in the top 20 - and then there are Storer and Cort.
DSM needs to do something to protect their mountain jersey from Roglic.
I can imagine Kuss to try something to improve / keep his place.
Someone like Tratnik might save himself a bit for the time trial, if he's not needed as a dom.
The spaniards will certainly try, will we see Bol again...?

Jakobsen got a green bike

E-bk6MtXoAMw5Cd

View: https://twitter.com/lavuelta/status/1434086087866126344?s=20

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS