• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2021: Stage 20 (Sanxenxo - Castro de Herville, 202.2 km)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Something to remember is this is the last stage for everyone, except for those interested in GC or the stage tomorrow.

The time limit in the TT doesn't matter (because you can't be eliminated... from a race which is over!), so tomorrow we could see riders finish way down in time & not care. So today is the day the Vuelta ends for 90% of the peloton.

And that goes for TJV as well, i.e. anyone working for Roglic can throw all their last bit of energy into the stage today.

What, do you seriously believe that? That most riders will gladly have a DNF to their name because "they finished the race anyway"? Let me tell you something; that is not correct.

This breakaway is good for Jumbo.

With Bahrain & DSM represented at the front, those two teams are unlikely to want to blow the race apart later in the peloton.

What, do you seriously believe that? That most riders will gladly have a DNF to their name because "they finished the race anyway"? Let me tell you something; that is not correct.

You misunderstand me. The fact is most riders will totally cruise across the finish line in tomorrow's TT.

It doesn't mean they'll miss the time cut (if there even is one...), but it's totally unlikely to see riders out there bust their guts when there's nothing to win or gain.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Compare this to the final stage of Paris-Nice 2021 & you'll understand.

With a huge gap to the breakaway the peloton cannot win the stage, ergo chaos (which facilitates the worst case scenario for Roglic) is unlikely.

This Vuelta should already have been settled on Wednesday so I really don't care whether this particular stage disappoints spectators who want some GC madness.

What on Earth are Ineos doing, not having a rider in that break?

No Movistar either.

Compare this to the final stage of Paris-Nice 2021 & you'll understand.

With a huge gap to the breakaway the peloton cannot win the stage, ergo chaos (which facilitates the worst case scenario for Roglic) is unlikely.

This Vuelta should already have been settled on Wednesday so I really don't care whether this particular stage disappoints spectators who want some GC madness.

Okay, then it's not easy to have a discussion...

I'd assume given Ineos' three remaining domestiques that they simply didn't have much choice in the matter. Sivakov would probably get prevented from getting up there, Puccio is not suited to this and Pidcock is in his first GT. Likewise Movistar only have Erviti, Oliveira and Rojas, so they're probably best served just keeping them riding for Mas and López until they can't anymore and trust the two to their own devices. Verona and van Baarle leaving the race a couple of days ago really put the kibosh on too much inventiveness for either team at this stage.

Reactions: Sandisfan