• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good luck Remco!
(can't help getting MiB vibes from the ever-present head over his shoulder)

L6blOzgk_o.jpg

I'm not getting the Evenepoel hype, he has it all to prove over a 3 week race and its not like QS have a stellar record in grand tours when riding for GC. Would love to see him stay up there on GC for 3 weeks but for me Roglic is the favourite now that he has declared. Providing of course that he has recovered sufficiently but I don't think he lines up if he doesn't think he has the chance of winning La Vuelta. Also Jumbo owe him something after he was used as a sacrificial lamb to effectively help win Vingegaard the tour. I think whoever emerges as the Ineos GC leader (most likely Carapaz) will be the greatest threat since they look to have a lot of strength in numbers again. I expect that Almeida and Hindley should also be strong on GC.

How is QS stronger than Jumbo?

Dennis has been sick during the year so I doubt that he will be at his best and despite Kuss being a great mountain domestique he is also inconsistent. Oomen and Harper are not bad but not great either and Gesink is almost a pure flat domestique these days.

Meanwhile Quick-Step may not be as strong as Ineos but they are bringing their strongest GC team they are remember them bringing and while Masnada has been having a difficult year riders like Devenys or Vervaeke are underrated

Reactions: Sandisfan
They are 99% not, no. Too lazy to actually confirm it.

A classic Movistar-team for La Vuelta, one can only hope that Enric Mas doesn't crash and have turned it around, because if he has, he can win the race. Valverde can hopefully grab a top-10 and a stage, and Norsgaard should be feel blessed about the TTT, because now he gets to ride a GT with Valverde!
Last year Mas was truly good at the vuelta and Roglic biggest threat. But based on this year performances and given the big load of GC riders here, I am not expecting more then a top 10 of him here...

So who will win the TTT on Friday? It's 23km, totally flat, and has a lot of corners, so I'm guessing the top speed will be less than usual. I am guessing @ average speed of 55kmh the best will finish in under half an hour.

Is the technical nature an advantage for team who are worse at TT?

vuelta-a-espana-2022-stage-1-profile-c13d96c256.jpg

vuelta-a-espana-2022-stage-1-map-15c335b31f.jpg

So who will win the TTT on Friday? It's 23km, totally flat, and has a lot of corners, so I'm guessing the top speed will be less than usual. I am guessing @ average speed of 55kmh the best will finish in under half an hour.

Is the technical nature an advantage for team who are worse at TT?

vuelta-a-espana-2022-stage-1-profile-c13d96c256.jpg

vuelta-a-espana-2022-stage-1-map-15c335b31f.jpg
I would say Quick-Step will win this. Ineos, Jumbo and UAE second, third and fourth. Bora´s GC riders will loose time here...

I ran this article thru a translator, I hope a native speaker can verify this, but this article seems to say Roglic "is not yet completely pain free" - yikes, that doesn't bode so well, I can only hope it's minor and will improve, but - back pain in a GT? Hmmm.... maybe it's prep for the Worlds.

Anyone else feeling a bit bummed that Roglic has announced he's riding the Vuelta??

I was looking forward to an open and unpredictable Vuelta.
Now we are subjected to Jumbo Visma and Sepp Kuss sucking the life out of the race. Meanwhile, we wait for the customary Roglstomp sprint 200m from the line in these uphill finishes.
Not feeling the excitment at all!!

• Wow
I ran this article thru a translator, I hope a native speaker can verify this, but this article seems to say Roglic "is not yet completely pain free" - yikes, that doesn't bode so well, I can only hope it's minor and will improve, but - back pain in a GT? Hmmm.... maybe it's prep for the Worlds.

Yeah, it does say that. I don't believe it though. Just another way of JV to try to crawl in the underdog position. Exactly like them only announcing now Roglic will ride when they probably decided that quite a while ago.