• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022: Pre-race discussion/hype tread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Really looking forward to this Vuelta. So I hope Primoz has decent shape, and that we don‘t see stupid crashes that result in a DNF for one of the GC riders.

Curious how Simon Yates will do… Will he crack again, and lose 30 minutes at one stage - or will he win the final GC?

O‘Connor could win the final GC. I hope Superman Lopez is strong, wins his queen stage, and podiums in Madrid.

Nibali and Valverde will go for a final Top5/Top10, and enjoy their last GT ever…

Landa, Buitrago and Mader will do some serious damage. Sadly Haig is missing.

Higuita, Hindley and Kelderman will try to repeat 2022‘s Giro.

Ineos are super strong. I expect a lot from Plapp. If he has the endurance for three weeks, he will be among the best. His climbing is great, his TT is great.

Evenepoel will be interesting, don‘t know whst to expect.

Ayuso could go really well, he‘s such a talent. Almeida is good, but maybe already too old and on the decline.

Fingers crossed all riders finish the Vuelta healthily and successfully. Go, men! :)

By my calculations, one of the following results is needed in Vuelta 2022, otherwise, we go a full year without any updates to the Podium Slam thread.

Landa top 10
Uran top 6 (or top 3 to achieve the podium slam)
Pinot top 5
Kelderman top 3
MA Lopez top 2
Carapaz win

Reactions: Sandisfan
Really looking forward to this Vuelta. So I hope Primoz has decent shape, and that we don‘t see stupid crashes that result in a DNF for one of the GC riders.

Curious how Simon Yates will do… Will he crack again, and lose 30 minutes at one stage - or will he win the final GC?

O‘Connor could win the final GC. I hope Superman Lopez is strong, wins his queen stage, and podiums in Madrid.

Nibali and Valverde will go for a final Top5/Top10, and enjoy their last GT ever…

Landa, Buitrago and Mader will do some serious damage. Sadly Haig is missing.

Higuita, Hindley and Kelderman will try to repeat 2022‘s Giro.

Ineos are super strong. I expect a lot from Plapp. If he has the endurance for three weeks, he will be among the best. His climbing is great, his TT is great.

Evenepoel will be interesting, don‘t know whst to expect.

Ayuso could go really well, he‘s such a talent. Almeida is good, but maybe already too old and on the decline.

Fingers crossed all riders finish the Vuelta healthily and successfully. Go, men! :)

The last two paragraphs are absurd. Almeida is 24...

And of course all riders will not finish the race.

Meanwhile:
Richard Carapaz signs for EF Education-EasyPost

filters:quality(75)

Jens Voigt with an interesting take. Thinks Roglic wil never contend for a GT again due to crashes. I agree he crashes too often. But somehow TGH is stronger?

"In general: Carapaz, Geoghegan Hart, Yates and Evenepoel are all stronger than Roglic. Joao Almeida of UAE Emirates might also have a chance as an underdog."
Well that settles it. Can someone please inform Roglic and save him from humiliation?

Jens Voigt with an interesting take. Thinks Roglic wil never contend for a GT again due to crashes. I agree he crashes too often. But somehow TGH is stronger?

"In general: Carapaz, Geoghegan Hart, Yates and Evenepoel are all stronger than Roglic. Joao Almeida of UAE Emirates might also have a chance as an underdog."
Shut Up Jens!

Considering that he was a very successful cyclist for more than 15 years and should know the sport, Jens Voigt sometimes has some of the weirdest takes that I have ever heard.

Edit: It's funny that he was a very good stage-hunter himself, but among the Eurosport commentators in Germany he often has the worst estimates for a break making it or not.

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site

Even with crashes one could argue that Roglič has preformed on higher level than Yates, Carapaz...Evenepoel didn't even finish any GTs and suddenly he is stronger? While he might perform really well this year that is still a bold statement.

Likely the idea was all of them combined. Then maybe.

Reactions: Jan the Man

?! XDD

Maaaan.... Jens Voigt is such a dumbass. Tao Fricking Hart?

Considering that he was a very successful cyclist for more than 15 years and should know the sport, Jens Voigt sometimes has some of the weirdest takes that I have ever heard.

Edit: It's funny that he was a very good stage-hunter himself, but among the Eurosport commentators in Germany he often has the worst estimates for a break making it or not.
Voigt has got zero tactical sense. It's pretty clear nowadays, why he either attacked or worked like a horse.

TRENDING THREADS