• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 16: Sanlúcar de Barrameda - Tomares, 189.4k

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Plenty of riders have lost races just outside the 3km point...just ask Richie Porte for one and that too is unfair
No one wants any rider to lose due to mechanicals but plenty do all the time
What is important is the rules are applied with sense , conformity and fairness and not used to any riders advantage or disadvantage

That is the debate and I for one could do without the holier than thou comments that one cannot question this

As for the point of Remco being dropped that is the question ...I looked at the video and I cannot find him at 3.5km to go but only his bike transponder or another ride can say where he is at that point for sure

But I retain the prerogative to ask the question without being labeled a hater
Seems everyone si a hater if you dont agree with them...now thats childish

I guess what is galling for some is Roglic went for it, attacked and gave it everything and is now probably out of the Vuelta while Remco just strolled in

Its a question of the rules in this stage because most riders would probably do what Remco did

Last edited:
Okay, it might be known I'm not much of an Evenepoel fan, but I'm also so indifferent to Roglic that I've been called a hater and I'm not a Mas fan either, so I don't really have a horse in this race. Nonetheless I find it hard to completely let go and just say "the jury did its thing, get over it", because after all it might be a super important decision, and in that case the situation should at least have been carefully evaluated, it should not be an easy/careless jury decision like "oh, it surely was like that, let's just give him the time of x, case solved". Personally I find it hard to tell if that's a flat or not from what I've seen, but there are more knowledgable people, so if they agree with one or the other decision, that's better. Also I am confused about when Evenepoel first raised his hand and who he was with at that point, that should also be carefully looked at. If that has happened, and the decision has been made based on that assessment, it's all fine.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
...Personally I find it hard to tell if that's a flat or not from what I've seen, but there are more knowledgable people, so if they agree with one or the other decision, that's better. Also I am confused about when Evenepoel first raised his hand and who he was with at that point, that should also be carefully looked at. If that has happened, and the decision has been made based on that assessment, it's all fine.

then it's probably all fine.

no need for conspiracy theories from so many just because it's remco. it really is irrational.

Last edited:
Since people think this is about any special rider:

Hindly had a mechanical inside the 3 km rule in the giro and even then there was conspiracy theories that thought it was really convenient to have a flat just within 3 km. So these discussions aren't new.

fair, but never with the same vehemence and anger directed at hindley. and ultimately no one really cared, or questioned his win.

here, we have rabid rage and unhinged accusations of deplorable cheating that are so overboard that one almost worries for the sanity of the haters.

:sunglasses::p

Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93
The incident has been verified by a UCI commissaire meaning Evenepoel had a flat and it was acknowledged as such in the stage report.

Since people think this is about any special rider:

Hindly had a mechanical inside the 3 km rule in the giro and even then there was conspiracy theories that thought it was really convenient to have a flat just within 3 km. So these discussions aren't new.
Here is the topic of that stage.

There are 3 pages about the incident. It starts with people asking what happened to Hindley. Then there is some dude questioning the goal of the 3k rule. And finally there is someone making a joke about Hindley slicing his own tire with a pineapple knife. After reading that, come back to this thread and compare to the last 15 pages.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Mads Pedersen for winning the stage.

Was a low paced sprinters stage that exploded at the end. I was expecting a bit more help from JV for Roglič in regards to setting him up for an attack. The way Roglič rode. That was pure cycling poetry. He is just such a special champion and we can be extremely lucky and grateful to get to live in his era. He gained 8 seconds on a race leader. Rather consistent trend in the past couple of stages. Looks the strongest from GC leaders going into week 3. The crash was an unfortunate one. Luckily nothing is broken. He will for sure be affected by the crash. That much is true. Still if he will continue i am sure that he will do well in regards to overall. If the injuries will prove too much. There will be other races.

P.S. As for Wreight and Evenpoel. To be honest ATM i don't care all that much about that. Seems trivial.

Apologies if this has already been posted on this long old thread, but pretty amazing how Fred Wright didn't even wobble.
View: https://twitter.com/sergioyustos_/status/1567186942919413762?s=20&t=R0gFUsZOG_oi0dCssidPbg
Sheeeyut! Primoz must've been cross-eyed from pulling to miss the echelon point of reentry by that much! It's partially foregivable as he didn't know how many dudes were following and he probably was so redlined he couldn't count anyway. It also might have saved his collarbone and head by hitting early instead of the Fred's rear wheel trailing edge. Ouch...in real time. BTW: that is the coolest Nascar angle of a crash video I've seen in awhile.
Many bones are aching right now in sympathy.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sheeeyut! Primoz must've been cross-eyed from pulling to miss the echelon point of reentry by that much! It's partially foregivable as he didn't know how many dudes were following and he probably was so redlined he couldn't count anyway. It also might have saved his collarbone and head by hitting early instead of the Fred's rear wheel trailing edge. Ouch...in real time. BTW: that is the coolest Nascar angle of a crash video I've seen in awhile.
Many bones are aching right now in sympathy.
You can spot the sticky/chewing gum on the road in that video. At least now we know that did not have anything to do with it, as Roglic crashed a few meters earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: Oldermanish
For those who still need more proof, here is the comparison of the Strava segment where Evenepoel punctured, compared to the fastest time recorded by Strava... being that of Fred Wright, the same Fred Wright who ended up finishing together with the Roglic group (without Roglic). Evenepoel was going 4 seconds faster than Wright at the moment he started losing speed and came to a halt. So you can toss the insane assumption in the bin that Evenepoel either faked his puncture because the pace was too high, or had his puncture well before the moment when he signalled it unless he was able to ride faster than everybody else, with a puncture. From the moment he loses speed until the moment he stops, he loses 49s over 100 meters, which explains why it took him so long to pass by on that fan footage after Roglic &co had passed.

Hit the "compare" button:

Last edited:
The hatred for guys like Remco and Mas and the (although I like him) over the top fandom for Roglic has given this Vuelta a proper toxic atmosphere here and on other online spheres.
I do enjoy some trolling and GTs will always have heated discussions but this is reaching some proper bizarre levels.
Why would Remco fake a puncture on a ridiculously easy finish? If a gap is created by puncheurs/sprinters with GC guys like Roglic he won't be given the first time anway but always the time of the peleton (as it happened here, Roglic gained 8s on him, correct decision btw.), so what exactly would he gain? Not risking getting dropped by the whole peleton? If that is his worry he might as well just pack his bags.
If anything, Roglic can be happy that we had the 3km rule here otherwise he'd lose time on everyone after crashing.

Edit: When the same happened to Hindley in the Giro no one gave a ***.
I'm seeing a lot of posts like this one from people who seem to think this is chain gate 2. It's not, calm down.

Reactions: Oldermanish
For those who still need more proof, here is the comparison of the Strava segment where Evenepoel punctured, compared to the fastest time recorded by Strava... being that of Fred Wright, the same Fred Wright who ended up finishing together with the Roglic group (without Roglic). Evenepoel was going 4 seconds faster than Wright at the moment he started losing speed and came to a halt. So you can toss the insane assumption in the bin that Evenepoel either faked his puncture because the pace was too high, or had his puncture well before the moment when he signalled it unless he was able to ride faster than everybody else, with a puncture. From the moment he loses speed until the moment he stops, he loses 49s over 100 meters, which explains why it took him so long to pass by on that fan footage after Roglic &co had passed.

Hit the "compare" button:

I have no idea what that supposedly "proves." You can ride plenty fast as a puncture is going down. Unless it was a sudden "I just ran over an anti-tank spike" loss of air. But that rarely happens with tubeless as they are self-sealing (I assume he's running tubeless).

Lol, all the crying and the salt almost has me wish Evenepoel DID in fact fake it, just to ad insult to injury. You can't make this stuff up.

Also, Roglic is injured but we don't care about that, but the fact that Evenepoel almost definitely possibly very well likely might have been able to perhaps fake that because we all know he isn't able to follow the peloton on a 400 meter bump in the road, has our utmost attention.
If he punctured before 3 km to go, was it unsportsmanlike of Evenepoel to not stop until he was within 3 km to go?

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It's entirely possible that the tire started to go down before the 3km mark, and he wisely waited until he was inside the effective neutral zone before signaling. That's actually smart racing and using the rules to your advantage. If that's the case, was it tied to Roglic's attack? I suppose it could be, but it wouldn't matter anyway ; worst case he loses only the boniseconds...
Getting the right paperwork in place for an unnecessary TUE is just smart and using the rules to your advantage. See: https://www.dopeology.org/incidents/Armstrong-positive/

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been posted on this long old thread, but pretty amazing how Fred Wright didn't even wobble.
View: https://twitter.com/sergioyustos_/status/1567186942919413762?s=20&t=R0gFUsZOG_oi0dCssidPbg
Thanks for the video. This was the point of contact:

GnLxu1B.png

• Sad
Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS