• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 17: Aracena - Monasterio de Tentudía, 162.3k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They should respect unwritten rules and wait... until he fully recovers.
I mean, if someone behind wants to improve position - fine, but the 3rd place rule must be applied.
There is no unwritten rule against attacking someone who crashed the day before. That's why I was confused, no idea what you're referring to. He's not the race leader. Tomorrow is another stage. Attack at will.

How would this even work? How long would they need to wait? One day? Two? Until Primoz says he feels better? Should they not have attacked Evenepoel this weekend? Come on.

And I'll be honest, the whole "wait for the guy who crashed" is IMO a bunch of nonsense in many cases. Someone crashes of their own accord (Ulrich), tough. Bike racing includes bike handling as a skill. That whole thing got distorted beyond belief because of Armstrong playing mind games and not understanding nuance. A competitor of mine crashes while racing? I feel bad for him, certainly. Not going to wait around.

But yeah, I think they should attack him while he's potentially suffering from the effects of his accident. It's a race.

There is no unwritten rule against attacking someone who crashed the day before. That's why I was confused, no idea what you're referring to. He's not the race leader. Tomorrow is another stage. Attack at will.

How would this even work? How long would they need to wait? One day? Two? Until Primoz says he feels better? Should they not have attacked Evenepoel this weekend? Come on.

And I'll be honest, the whole "wait for the guy who crashed" is IMO a bunch of nonsense in many cases. Someone crashes of their own accord (Ulrich), tough. Bike racing includes bike handling as a skill. That whole thing got distorted beyond belief because of Armstrong playing mind games and not understanding nuance. A competitor of mine crashes while racing? I feel bad for him, certainly. Not going to wait around.

But yeah, I think they should attack him while he's potentially suffering from the effects of his accident. It's a race.
Had the same impression on his first post, but his second post made it clear it was a joke/sarcrasm or whatever the correct english word is for it :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Like everyone, I think its a breakaway stage but I think the chance of it being a GC days is not as small as many seem to think. This is particularly so if Roglic starts, as other teams (especially UAE) will want to test him to try to get on the podium.

If it's a breakaway then I have very little clue. Chris Harper has some appeal at 125-1 if Roglic pulls out and he s then freed up.

If it's a GC days then I think Ayuso should be the favourite. I can't believe he's at 40-1. I price him around 15-1.

Can anything be done about crashes in sprints? There was w hole lengthy thread about what can be done, and I think the conclusion was that nothing can be done.
And when someone falls they have zero protection except for the helmet and gloves. if they fall at speed they're going to get messed up. Its a brutal sport for wear and tear on the body.

I think we saw it all in 16 (commentary from ES).
There was a race with the plan and all went well for second placed guy - BUT
someone punctured (1.time in 2 weeks) just in 3 km and there is no team member to give a bike. In a flat stage. Real misfortune. Poor Remco. But then - waiting for the car, in ease,... Why not? It is allowed. 3 km rule. No time lost. Allowed. Kill yourself upfront if you want, I have your time ( or near).
Lesson learned - marginal gains is how to make the rules work for you.

Another someone instinctively reacts at the second placed GS guy as a threat for his 4!!! place. Someone he knows is going for GC and not for his 4th place.
Someone he should be thankful to be in position to fight for that 4th place, because he was leading them to the finish,... C'mon Fred (he said later: "I don't know what happened, it was not intended,..., I hope he is ok, but I was 4th, good race for me" - may you come 4th a lot and your heart be well, Fred. Or you are just "simple" - it is easy to not know what is 4th in a stage comparing to 5th in a stage and win a GC).
Second one from the same team, probably coincidence. Or they never debated the first time ( do not push little guys, outsprint them after).
All in all if this was 'normal pushing in the bunch" we would see a lot more guys pushed and in a hospital.
Ok, one thing is not clear to me about Roglič - why go near to sprint guys, just stay in your lane, get to finish in the same time,... Or is there something we don't know about DS's voices. Maybe they wanted one more attack for bonuses, because Remco played them...
I'm sad. And a bit angry.
What's the point of everybody stoping to see how you are after the race (also Remco) - to wish you well or to see if you're finally dead?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan