• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 2: Mataró - Barcelona, 181.8k

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think what you have just described is called racing.
They decided not to race (and that's also part of what I would call racing), actually in Renewi Tour today they had a protest so it isn't an isolated thing.

Racing is like life. Sometimes the key protagonists strike. In this case, because they feel it's not a fair race when they are forced into a situation they are not comfortable with, with regards to their safety / crashing out...

Learn to live with it, riders deciding not to race, is part of racing.

In general (related to some other posts above):
I'm really curious if those who complain (about the GC riders not following wheels on the climb and thus not really racing) are also complaining about other safety issues, the peloton not taking a stance or not agreeing to come up for their rights against organisers / UCI...
The message, after yesterday's farce, from the GC riders was one of 'don't mess with us'. They got a neutralised GC and they took it.
To the surprise of many on this forum, who said yesterday that riders could have known before the start of the TTT that it would have been dark, the GC riders took the opportunity of the neutralised GC to soft-pedal. I mean: those forum members should, like the riders yesterday, have known at the start of today's race what was coming, but now they are surprised? Commenting about riders and teams not anticipating on yesterday's TTT, but clearly themselves not anticipating on how the race would end.

Last edited:
On the flip side you have that Vuelta a Colombia stage a couple of years ago where they had a sprint with so much standing water that riders were going all over the place. Not neutralising that finish was an absolutely reckless organisatorial decision that deserves every bit as much criticism as some of the BS cancellations and neutralisations we've had ever since Adam Hansen woke up one morning in Italy and decided he didn't fancy a long ride in the rain.

Was that the stage where the winner crashed into his wife?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob