• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2023, stage 3: Súria - Arinsal, 158.5k

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Remco is more than two minutes ahead after the TT, then this Vuelta might be one of the best. You have riders like Jonas, Roglic, Mas who will not settle for 2nd so they will keep trying. Ayuso also looks strong and not afraid to attack himself. Combine that with at best average team of Soudal - Quick Step who can't control the race for whole 3 weeks and we might see less controled stages with a lot of attacking from far out. Just no more crashes.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
They weren't journalists, as Orla repeatedly corrected Adam Blythlyignoringeverythingandnotlistening

the journalists are kept behind the barriers, thats why the barrier is there, they were team personnel in that gap, bottle carriers, gilet holders etc.
Great, whoever it was. He rode into what looked like a corridor in a crowd of people. He didn't need to, he was just trying to push through and ate it.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and awavey
They weren't journalists, as Orla repeatedly corrected Adam Blythlyignoringeverythingandnotlistening

the journalists are kept behind the barriers, thats why the barrier is there, they were team personnel in that gap, bottle carriers, gilet holders etc.
Which is often the case at many GT (not just Vuelta) stages, as well as the gaggle (10-20) photographers right at the finish line inside the barriers. I suppose riders know those photographers will be there and know to avoid them.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I will say that while I dont find Evenepol particularly likeable you cannot say he is not entertaining . he is certainly not wishy washy . he is like marmite but you always know he is about . he is no Chris Froome

The Vuelta organisers are probably by now new running scared of him and having panic attacks about each stage ...he must be in their nightmares

I also think that we will have a good Vuelta with Roglic, Vinge, Remco, Mas, Ayuso, Vlasov , Almedia and Uijtdebroeks

3 strong teams and Remco​

If journalists are always kept behind the barriers, why do we get reporters sticking microphones and mobile phones in riders faces inside the barriers immediately after the finish? That’s why we often see team managers/soigneurs form a barrier around the rider to give them some breathing room. Perhaps the broadcast journalists are required to stay behind the barriers, but I don’t think the country’s and region’s news journalists follow those protocols.

Ok maybe its was a little bit Remcos fault for not getting his hands down and calming down after an mt top sprint finish.

Otoh it hard for me to second guess what its like to stay collected in a moment of extreme exertion / celebration like that. I have to remember back to my racing years so long ago - except I never won a road race.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Ok maybe its was a little bit Remcos fault for not getting his hands down and calming down after an mt top sprint finish.

Otoh it hard for me to second guess what its like to stay collected in a moment of extreme exertion / celebration like that. I have to remember back to my racing years so long ago - except I never won a road race.
Remco should have been able to celebrate and have a professional runout like every stage in well-run GTs.

Reactions: Carols and SHAD0W93
View: https://twitter.com/SpoelJo/status/1696202728425259380

From the overhead it looks like there actually was more of a run-off area that was mostly barricaded off for some reason, with people crowding the only gap. Also looks like the fact he celebrated over the line instead of braking instantly made it basically impossible to stop in time. He went right to try and avoid them but would’ve smashed into those barriers even if he didn’t hit the lady. The situation was made more dangerous than it should’ve been thanks to the organization and the crowd of people

No idea why REmco didn't sufficiently break and also no idea why all those people were just cusually chatting without looking at the race. Seems like remco thought it was a home coming celebration but he wasn't invited.

Hopefully he is fine, but slow crashes tend to be harder.
Vingegaard looked very good today, better than expected. JV and UAE as a team dominance easy... 4 people, what a luxury.. downside is that they now have 4 people for GC... at least Remco had Hirt in the final, so his team still held up... (slightly)

Ineos, or at least Thomas, the first favorite to get a major kick.

edit: looking at the video in previous post.... this is just a crazy setup by the organization.. i thought those people were behind a corner... but they had vision of the riders, but weren't even looking.. The others behind him were also breaking hard and only came to a stop just before those people...

edit2: looking at the fragment :
View: https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1696201979716944054

The commentator before the finish, right before the finish when Remco dropped vingegaard: "Remco is going for first blood" Little did she knew it became reality so soon :joycat:

Last edited:
I will say that while I dont find Evenepol particularly likeable you cannot say he is not entertaining . he is certainly not wishy washy . he is like marmite but you always know he is about . he is no Chris Froome

The Vuelta organisers are probably by now new running scared of him and having panic attacks about each stage ...he must be in their nightmares

I also think that we will have a good Vuelta with Roglic, Vinge, Remco, Mas, Ayuso, Vlasov , Almedia and Uijtdebroeks

3 strong teams and Remco​

I don't mind Remco and I think this race is more entertaining with him in it. Otherwise I think it would be Jumbo v. everyone else.

Reactions: HelloDolly
meanwhile... spanish cycling fans...

finish line now, photo courtesy of a spanish cycling fan

finish line now, photo courtesy of a Jumbo assistant

Victory and 3 "puntos" for Evenepoel.
In spanish "puntos" means both points and stitches

"My god, this year is a shitshow!"

LaVuelta23 is cursed!!
View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1696169507650261457

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
If journalists are always kept behind the barriers, why do we get reporters sticking microphones and mobile phones in riders faces inside the barriers immediately after the finish? That’s why we often see team managers/soigneurs form a barrier around the rider to give them some breathing room. Perhaps the broadcast journalists are required to stay behind the barriers, but I don’t think the country’s and region’s news journalists follow those protocols.
That's other races though, and its rare you see anyone shoving a microphone at a rider immediately post finish for a quote, theyre tv camera crew, photographers, teams and if the barriers don't extend far enough sometimes it's just joe public.

but the journalists were supposed to be behind the barrier, Eurosport know that for a fact because their journalist on the ground was behind the barrier.