• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2024, stage 21: Madrid - Madrid, 24.6k (ITT)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Surely Skjelmose is a strong enough TTer to defend a 68 second advantage over Lipowitz for white.

I would think that Mas taking second is about 75% likely, and Skjelmose catching Gaudu is about 40%, but no other changes in the top 10 (or, barring Yates catching Dunbar, in the top 25)

Last edited:
Is Mas even better than O'Connor in a TT? Hoping O'Connor blows Mas up tomorrow.
Their head to head in flat TTs suggest O'Connor has a fighting chance.
Don't know what happened in the stage 1 TT, O'Connor really had a shocker.

I'm pulling for O'Connor and think he will smash it. Decathlon are a new force this year!

Is Mas even better than O'Connor in a TT? Hoping O'Connor blows Mas up tomorrow.

I'm pulling for O'Connor and think he will smash it. Decathlon are a new force this year!

I certainly expect O'Connor to beat Mas?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Question is if Gaudu will be able to keep Lipowitz behind him. In the opening time trial of this race, Gaudu lost around 2.5 seconds per km to the German, but in the one in Romandie, which was harder, the difference was 3 seconds. However Lipowitz will have to claw back 4 seconds pr km tomorrow, so the 16 seconds Gaudu gained on him today may possibly have decided that battle, although Lipowitz TT level after 3 weeks is still unknown, and a complete Gaudu disaster wouldn't really come as a surprise.

Using comparisons from prior races seems to reinforce the current trend favors Mas. Doesn't matter what happened 6 months ago. Form in a GT is what you have now. I'd give them even chances which makes it very exciting.

Question is if Gaudu will be able to keep Lipowitz behind him. In the opening time trial of this race, Gaudu lost around 2.5 seconds per km to the German, but in the one in Romandie, which was harder, the difference was 3 seconds. However Lipowitz will have to claw back 4 seconds pr km tomorrow, so the 16 seconds Gaudu gained on him today may possibly have decided that battle, although Lipowitz TT level after 3 weeks is still unknown, and a complete Gaudu disaster wouldn't really come as a surprise.
Meh, meh, meh...how will the riders feel after today? I would argue that Gaudu finished the stage fresher than the other two, who were exposed and played yo-yo, agonized in the final.

Primoz has the bag. Ben vs. Enric is a tough call. Interesting. I will watch.

Of course, I want the Swiss and FDJ to win. Allez Stefan!

O'Connor vs Mas timetrials which the both raced

d2yT6fk.png
All I get from this is that Mas is systematically better at GT ITTs and a disaster at Dauphiné ITTs

Maybe it was today not sure, but he was sick 2 days ago so it could also definitely just him not feeling well. But hopefully it's indeed just saving energy and he can do a good TT tomorrow. Doubt he'll be able to win tho, he hasn't had his Tour legs this Vuelta. His first TT was also bad.
Campenaerts says he is fine again and just saved himself yesterday.

Campenaerts says he is fine again and just saved himself yesterday.

The English translation said Victor has been freed from diarrhea, I'm happy to hear Víctor has been "freed" from diarrhea as well! 🤣