• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta al País Vasco 4–9 April 2016

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage
Clipboard_zpsobrbcows.gif

Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
jonan92 said:
Matteo. said:
Tomorrow only the rain could mix the cards

Aia is a much harder climb, the peloton will break in pieces IMO
I had to specify, among the favorites . Among them I do not see the intention of attacking" from far".
maybe the Sky duo...but i'm not sure

They should try, one of them, they have two riders on top and the ITT is not the best for both of them, so they should try to gain some seconds

A little disappointed by the stage, I had expected more. There is nothing worse when the big favourites attack 300 metres from the top... Thought it would be harder today.

Hopefully Aia will prove more demanding and make the big guys come out to play. Not even the second tier guys tried something today.

The last climb had some beautiful scenery.

Navarro deserves a stage win from this race. Wonder how much he has left for tomorrow.

My dislike for Gerrans is not as strong as some others here, but I'm happy that Cummings managed to fool him and the "sprinters".

Re:

Geraint Too Fast said:
It's always a good day when Cummings wins a bike race. Is he the best opportunist in the current peloton?

It feels that way. He sits at the back of the peloton for days on end and then pops up to win. He could be getting regular top 10s in WT stage races but I guess he prefers the thrill of putting everything into one stage per race.

Re:

Samamba said:
Can someone give me more information about the different sides of the Aia? Which one is the hardest, the 1st, 2nd or 3rd? And what about the Garate? That one looks really hard on the profile.
You probably mean Arrate. As far as I know the profile of this new, harder side is the one they'll face in the ITT on saturday. If I'm not mistaken on stage 5 on friday they ride the famous Arrate climb that has been used many times in the recent editions. It's 7,3km at 6,7%.

I'm not sure about the Aia sides. All I know is they are short but steep.

Edit: Sorry. I saw there actually is Garate :eek:

Re:

Samamba said:
Can someone give me more information about the different sides of the Aia? Which one is the hardest, the 1st, 2nd or 3rd? And what about the Garate? That one looks really hard on the profile.
The hardest is the last one that they do. It's only 1.4km but is super steep and narrow. Its the one they did in the TT last year, and the last climb in the stage that Landa won:

aia-aritzmendi-profile.png

The second time up is the next hardest and climbs up to Aia from near the coast. It's steep to start with then becomes relatively steady. This one is also a pretty narrow road. There is only about 2km of descent though between the second and third climbs, so not much recovery before the steepest one.

aia-altxerri-profile.png

The first way up is quite easy. It's a long false flat followed at about 1-2%, followed by maybe 2km at 6-7% into the town. There are a couple of steepish corners, but nothing special and its quite a wide road.

There is also a fourth way :) which is the way they will descend at the end of the day. But that is the main road to Aia - it's pretty gentle gradient and the widest road of the lot. The corners are gentle, and you can do nearly the whole descent without having to brake, so it's not especially technical.

Garate is not too hard, but might put a few in difficulty if ridden hard:

garate-getaria-profile.png

johnymax said:
Samamba said:
You probably mean Arrate. As far as I know the profile of this new, harder side is the one they'll face in the ITT on saturday. If I'm not mistaken on stage 5 on friday they ride the famous Arrate climb that has been used many times in the recent editions. It's 7,3km at 6,7%.

One of the previous climbs to Arrate before the end will be from a new and harder side

jonan92 said:
johnymax said:
Samamba said:

One of the previous climbs to Arrate before the end will be from a new and harder side
Are you sure? Which one? Alto de Ixua maybe 35km to go?