• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Prediction: How will GC battle Shake up?

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
Brullnux said:
WheelofGear said:
1. Valverde
2. Aru
3. Henao (in case Froome is not there)

If Froome is there, it's game over for the rest.
When has Froome ever done two GT's in the same year at the level of the best? I don't think we can count Froome in as a favorite even if he shows up until stage 6 (or whenever the first real mountain is). That goes for all the people who went to the Tour - Bardet, Pinot, TJ, Nibali, Purito, Piti. Valverde and Rodriguez have pedigree in two good consecutive GT's a year, the rest don't. Nibali can do two (2010: 1,3 2011: 2/3,7, 2013: 1,2) but they are all Giro - Vuelta. I still believe that Valverde isn't really that good a GT rider anymore. Quality wise in Gt's he is below Aru, the Big 4, above TJ, Pinot, Peraud, Pozzo. But Pozzo is fresh. If Pozzo arrives in top shape then he will podium. Henao is a wildcard and will top-5 or flop.

Quality wise in GT's he is below Aru HOW?
Because Aru is constantly improving whereas Valverde is declining in GTs (also improving in classics). Before the Tour I would've said this. But Valverde was good in the Tour so actually Piti is above Aru . What I was trying to say was I think Aru will beat Piti here. However, this is his last chance to win another grand tour IMO, so may go all out.

Also, on a MTT where they are both in top shape, Aru will beat Valverde. Valverde could not go within 30 seconds of Nairo on a MTT up aMonte Grappa.

Brullnux said:
WheelofGear said:
1. Valverde
2. Aru

When has Froome ever done two GT's in the same year at the level of the best? I don't think we can count Froome in as a favorite even if he shows up until stage 6 (or whenever the first real mountain is). That goes for all the people who went to the Tour - Bardet, Pinot, TJ, Nibali, Purito, Piti. Valverde and Rodriguez have pedigree in two good consecutive GT's a year, the rest don't. Nibali can do two (2010: 1,3 2011: 2/3,7, 2013: 1,2) but they are all Giro - Vuelta. I still believe that Valverde isn't really that good a GT rider anymore. Quality wise in Gt's he is below Aru, the Big 4, above TJ, Pinot, Peraud, Pozzo. But Pozzo is fresh. If Pozzo arrives in top shape then he will podium. Henao is a wildcard and will top-5 or flop.

The guy has been chasing a TdF podium for 10 years and just when he gets it he's no longer a good GT rider :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Arredondo said:
DBotero said:
Arredondo said:
ILovecycling said:
I wonder how Piti will handle his Tour fatigue this year.He is a year older and he was on the big peak in the spring.Yep, he also was very tired last year but we could see that he couldnt handle AC and CF pace.TBH I think the rider who will win this vuelta will be around AC level of last year Vuelta.
I think that Astana boys (except Nibali) has bigger chance of winning this thing unless Quintana totally burries himself for Piti.

Aru and Landa will do better then Piti in the Vuelta. Just because they are really explosive riders by themselves, so they should not lose too much time in the punchy stages. And in the real mountain stages (11, 16) they are capable of dropping Bala by at least 1 minute.

The only Tour guy capable of beating the Astana team is Quintana.

He crashed a few days agohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIYSTjS5Hc
He wasn't in the Astana front group yesterday.
He won't get the leadership.
Why are you so convinced he'll be a factor in Vuelta :confused:

Because he doesn't give a **** about team orders :p

But no way Valverde is the main favorite. Astana is too strong for that. Also Quintana is better then Piti in a GT. Look at Froome and Contador last year: the best climbers eventually will come to the fore.
thats true, but we dont know how he handles 2 GT's in a row in this age.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

WheelofGear said:
1. Valverde
2. Aru

I would like to see Sergio in a great GT shape, but I dont think it would be enough for a podium, he didnt go for GC result in a GT for few years now :(

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Mr.White said:
Brullnux said:
WheelofGear said:
1. Valverde
2. Aru

Quality wise in GT's he is below Aru HOW?
Because Aru is constantly improving whereas Valverde is declining in GTs (also improving in classics). Before the Tour I would've said this. But Valverde was good in the Tour so actually Piti is above Aru . What I was trying to say was I think Aru will beat Piti here. However, this is his last chance to win another grand tour IMO, so may go all out.

Also, on a MTT where they are both in top shape, Aru will beat Valverde. Valverde could not go within 30 seconds of Nairo on a MTT up aMonte Grappa.

Well I think Piti will beat Aru at Vuelta.
Also have to disagree on the MTT topic, Valverde's top shape is above Aru's and he was always good in MTT-s

Brullnux said:
WheelofGear said:
1. Valverde
2. Aru

Froome is older now. Riders over 30 tend to be able to ride two GTs in a row very well.

It depends on whatever he wants to do it or not. It takes a lot of effort, not just physically, but also psychologically. And he is going to be a dad.

WheelofGear said:
Brullnux said:
WheelofGear said:
1. Valverde
2. Aru

Froome is older now. Riders over 30 tend to be able to ride two GTs in a row very well.

It depends on whatever he wants to do it or not. It takes a lot of effort, not just physically, but also psychologically. And he is going to be a dad.
wait what?

Now Darwin must be rolling over in his grave.

Arredondo said:
ILovecycling said:
I wonder how Piti will handle his Tour fatigue this year.He is a year older and he was on the big peak in the spring.Yep, he also was very tired last year but we could see that he couldnt handle AC and CF pace.TBH I think the rider who will win this vuelta will be around AC level of last year Vuelta.
I think that Astana boys (except Nibali) has bigger chance of winning this thing unless Quintana totally burries himself for Piti.

Aru and Landa will do better then Piti in the Vuelta. Just because they are really explosive riders by themselves, so they should not lose too much time in the punchy stages. And in the real mountain stages (11, 16) they are capable of dropping Bala by at least 1 minute.

Looks as if being a Purito-fan demands 85% of the time spent on Valverde.

And yes, Quintana could win in theory but if theory been a GT-rider its palmares would be outstanding. With this being said newcomers to the sport shouldnt get their hopes up too much on Quintana as the Astana duo occasionally attacks from further out then 2-3 km from the finish. Besides he cant do much this Vuelta without asking how high when Bala says jump.

Is the consensus that they basically switch roles from the Tour at Movistar? Im not so sure, I think they will be at equal terms of the beginning like the 2013-Tour. At least that's what I am hoping for considering the very well designed and extremely hard stages 11 and 16.

Escarabajo said:
WheelofGear said:
Brullnux said:
WheelofGear said:
1. Valverde
2. Aru

wait what?

Yeah. But it seems to be the case. :) 25 year old riders rarely rides two GT's. Only the very best like Quintana.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Is the consensus that they basically switch roles from the Tour at Movistar? Im not so sure, I think they will be at equal terms of the beginning like the 2013-Tour. At least that's what I am hoping for considering the very well designed and extremely hard stages 11 and 16.
they declared this very clearly (but before the Tour) ;)

WheelofGear said:
Escarabajo said:
WheelofGear said:
Brullnux said:
WheelofGear said:
1. Valverde
2. Aru

wait what?

Yeah. But it seems to be the case. :) 25 year old riders rarely rides two GT's. Only the very best like Quintana.
only because they don't ride two gt'sp per year that doesnt mean that older riders have better regeneration. For example, AC rode giro and tour this year, but he was shitty in the tdf.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

No_Balls said:
Arredondo said:
ILovecycling said:

Looks as if being a Purito-fan demands 85% of the time spent on Valverde.

And yes, Quintana could win in theory but if theory been a GT-rider its palmares would be outstanding. With this being said newcomers to the sport shouldnt get their hopes up too much on Quintana as the Astana duo occasionally attacks from further out then 2-3 km from the finish. Besides he cant do much this Vuelta without asking how high when Bala says jump.

I'm interesting in top riders. And Bala is a top class rider ;)

It's not about attacking from 2/3 k out. If Aru decides to attack from far out, or Landa, or Nibali, the other GC guys have to react. If Aru is going full genius on La Gallina, Quintana has to follow. And in that situation, i think they should be able to drop Bala. Just look at Ancares and Farrapona last year: if the real climbers attack, he can't follow. But that's the same for Purito, Pozzovivo, Henao, Van Garderen etc.

Isn't one of the stages named after Purito? The Andora stage (stage 11).

He is pretty hyped for this Vuelta. And I'm pretty sure he will podium regardless of the TT. It's his final chance and he shouldn't be tired after the Tour. Unlike Valverde, he has saved a lot of energy in the Tour.

If there is no Froome, I can't see him losing a huge amount of time to the rest of the GC guys.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:

He is pretty hyped for this Vuelta. And I'm pretty sure he will podium regardless of the TT. It's his final chance and he shouldn't be tired after the Tour. Unlike Valverde, he has saved a lot of energy in the Tour.

If there is no Froome, I can't see him losing a huge amount of time to the rest of the GC guys.

That's the spirit! :D

Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:

Without Froome and Quintana (as a contender), there is no clear favorite. Purito should be one of the strongest climbers. He is still fresh.

Based on what we saw on Huy, I still think he is the king of the short, steep climbs. He defeated a Froome in super-shape and the rest of the favorites.

And I bet he'll do anything possible to win stage 11 which is the hardest stage there is.

I am pretty sure that he will be better on the climbs than Pozzo, Aru, Rolland, Tejay even Nibali.

The true danger man is Landa. Not sure if he can beat him.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Velolover2 said:
Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:

Without Froome and Quintana (as a contender), there is no clear favorite. Purito should be one of the strongest climbers. He is still fresh.

Based on what we saw on Huy, I still think he is the king of the short, steep climbs. He defeated a Froome in super-shape and the rest of the favorites.

And I bet he'll do anything possible to win stage 11 which is the hardest stage there is.

I am pretty sure that he will be better on the climbs than Pozzo, Aru, Rolland, Tejay even Nibali.

The true danger man is Landa. Not sure if he can beat him.

I agree about Pozzo, Rolland, Tejay and Henao. Nibali could be. But i think Aru will be the better climber.

I think top-5 is possible for Purito. With a little bit of luck podium, but winning is out of question imo. But i just want him to win 1 or 2 stages and just be in the mix.