• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Prediction: How will GC battle Shake up?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Pozzovivo definitely is a dark horse for the overall victory. He was in the shape of his live until his crash at the Giro. Also, he always starts a grand tour like fireworks before fading away in the last week. This time the Vuelta basically is over after 2 weeks. It depends on whether he can pull out a fantastic tt again.

Nibali won't ride. Aru and Landa are fresher and peaked for this. No space for Nibali imho.

Aru is the big favorite. This time he hasn't been ill and should carry his peak shape with him. Also the steep walls in Spain should favor him.

Landa has got to slave again. But I doubt he is gonna hold back this time if he climbs stronger than Aru again. Aru really has to earn his leadership this time.

Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Purito are all tired from the Tour. They won't be pack fodder if they go, but except maybe Quintana they should be too worse to take the win.

I got no clue about Majka to be honest. He should be a bit tired too, but seems to have a great recovery. That said even if he was fresh I don't know his level against the others. Giro 2014 seems years away in terms of his development.

Bardet just really got back in decent shape towards the end of the Tour. Maybe Ag2r can field both him and Pozzo here as dark horses and try to win the race. The steep walls normally should favor his explosivness as well.
In an Interview that was published in La Gazzetta yesterday Nibali said that he'll ride the Vuelta, but he'll just try have fun, the team is probably almost forcing him to ride it.
I don't know about Majka, he'll probably try to win Poland before the Vuelta, but he has shown great recovery before so who really knows.

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
carton said:
Valverde, vanGard, Majka are my picks if Froome and Nibali don't show up. Stage 10 is a killer but a bit early. Stage 20 is good for a long raid but not against a strong team. Stage 16 and the very flat post rest day Stage 17 TT will likely crown the winner.
You mean stage 11?
Yep, thanks. The early monster:
perfil_11.png

It may catch a few guys off guard coming off a rest day. Definitively a stage were the Vuelta could be lost, but I don't see it as the stage it will be won.

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
In an Interview that was published in La Gazzetta yesterday Nibali said that he'll ride the Vuelta, but he'll just try have fun, the team is probably almost forcing him to ride it.

A rider of the quality of Nibali maybe riding for fun but he will also be riding to win. No doubt about that. That is what champions are all about. At the Giro there was obviously a little bit of tension between Aru and Landa, now we can add Nibali to the pot of ingredients, lets see what the final result is. Add a little Vino and I'm sure team morale, bonding, will be OK. :p

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site

carton said:
perfil_11.png

It may catch a few guys off guard coming off a rest day. Definitively a stage were the Vuelta could be lost, but I don't see it as the stage it will be won.

Like the smile of a Great White, and just as scary.

Guybrush said:
DBotero said:
jsem94 said:
DBotero said:
It's the last chance for Valverde to win another GT,i think they'll fully support him and only if he's bad Quintana will step up.

Valverde already has a GT under his belt. The Vuelta that Cadel lost because of some BS ;).

Where did i said he didn't won one:confused:

fixed

Not necessarily.Maybe i was analyzing the possibility for him to win a GT these days,at his young age of 35.

carton said:
perfil_11.png

I know you already wrote that you don't think the vuelta will be won there but I just have to say again that I think soooooo many people overrate this stage. This on stage 20, okay we would maybe have some fun, but on stage 11 this stage will be crap. This is the 2nd really serious mtf and besides some little gaps on the one or other uphill finish I expect only tiny time gaps up to this stage. Maybe that will change here but all these great passes in andorra that could normally be used for attacks will be unnecessary because nobody will be stupid enough to risk his gc position with a crazy 40k long range attack from the Collada de la Galina. I like that the vuelta tries to go away of single climb stages but to put the hardest one of the few ones in this vuelta on stage 11 is a real waste.
Better wait for this one:
E263OBO.png

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Froome doesn't seem to be motivated enough and his form was clearly on the decline. I doubt he'll enter, as it would tarnish his image if he did poorly in it. Majka doesn't seem to have what it takes this year and will probably resort to stage hunting. Piti should be good but this Tour really did a number of his energy efforts. Still, I'd choose Piti over anyone else over the popular favorites. I think, though, they'll be some surprise and some unknown ends up winning it.

Re:

orangerider said:
Froome doesn't seem to be motivated enough and his form was clearly on the decline. I doubt he'll enter, as it would tarnish his image if he did poorly in it. Majka doesn't seem to have what it takes this year and will probably resort to stage hunting. Piti should be good but this Tour really did a number of his energy efforts. Still, I'd choose Piti over anyone else over the popular favorites. I think, though, they'll be some surprise and some unknown ends up winning it.

Valverde dug very deep in last years Tour as well and still did good in the Vuelta. In the past he hasn't had much trouble doing a good Vuelta after the Tour. His form wasn't even at it's highest in the beginning of the Tour; it's not like he has been sustaining his top form for a long time.