• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Prediction: How will GC battle Shake up?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Would be cool if Astana went with full strenght, Nibali, Aru, Landa, Fuglsang, Lopez, Scarponi and 3 out of Lulu, Kangert, Tiralongo, Cataldo, Lutsenko, Rosa.
Giro team with Nibali instead of Kangert, he'll need some rest after riding Giro and Tour, would already be awesome, even more if you could find a spot for Lutsenko.

jsem94 said:
jaylew said:
Exactly. I wish I could have seen it, but could hardly even find any NEWS about it. I saw he obliterated the field... from CQranking. So, yeah.
Me too. I'm a big Terpstra fan and I posted about the win in the "lesser known races" thread before there was one for Wallonie. Thought about making a race thread but when I saw they were only televising one stage I figured there was no point.

Despite that, I'm also interested in the Vuelta :eek:, a GT that starts in a few weeks, one that's usually more exciting than the Tour and one in which there is genuine intrigue regarding who will start. It's not like we're putting together projected full 2016 GT team rosters only one week into this year's TdF :p

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Ruudz0r said:
Would be cool if Astana went with full strenght, Nibali, Aru, Landa, Fuglsang, Lopez, Scarponi and 3 out of Lulu, Kangert, Tiralongo, Cataldo, Lutsenko, Rosa.
Giro team with Nibali instead of Kangert, he'll need some rest after riding Giro and Tour, would already be awesome, even more if you could find a spot for Lutsenko.

Ah ye forgot Kangert was also in the Giro he shouldnt be here then. I think Lopez will go and Im really looking forward to how he will do. Colombia has already announced their Avenir line up and since Lopez is not in it (WT riders allowed this year) Im pretty sure he is going to do the Vuelta.

Valverde vs J.Rod should be good,i think one of them can win it.Froome and Nibali won't show up,Landa will do domestique duty for Aru who will be one of the challengers alongside Majka.I hope Sky will try Henao as a leader this Vuelta.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
DBotero said:
Valverde vs J.Rod should be good,i think one of them can win it.Froome and Nibali won't show up,Landa will do domestique duty for Aru who will be one of the challengers alongside Majka.I hope Sky will try Henao as a leader this Vuelta.

Quintana will be there too.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
DBotero said:

If Valverde takes his TDF form into the Vuelta would be a decent bet. Not sure about Froome but the way Astana is run at times and how Nibali improved as the tour went on, wouldn't be surprised of he went, leading to 3 unhappy Astana riders all wanting to be leaders. I have similar thoughts about Henao, if he fails (which I expect) can't see how Sky can keep him

Arredondo said:
DBotero said:

Might be,but he won't ride ftw in Vuelta a Espana this year.Valverde will get the leadership.

Pozzovivo definitely is a dark horse for the overall victory. He was in the shape of his live until his crash at the Giro. Also, he always starts a grand tour like fireworks before fading away in the last week. This time the Vuelta basically is over after 2 weeks. It depends on whether he can pull out a fantastic tt again.

Nibali won't ride. Aru and Landa are fresher and peaked for this. No space for Nibali imho.

Aru is the big favorite. This time he hasn't been ill and should carry his peak shape with him. Also the steep walls in Spain should favor him.

Landa has got to slave again. But I doubt he is gonna hold back this time if he climbs stronger than Aru again. Aru really has to earn his leadership this time.

Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Purito are all tired from the Tour. They won't be pack fodder if they go, but except maybe Quintana they should be too worse to take the win.

I got no clue about Majka to be honest. He should be a bit tired too, but seems to have a great recovery. That said even if he was fresh I don't know his level against the others. Giro 2014 seems years away in terms of his development.

Bardet just really got back in decent shape towards the end of the Tour. Maybe Ag2r can field both him and Pozzo here as dark horses and try to win the race. The steep walls normally should favor his explosivness as well.

Am I going crazy or did nobody mention Plaza Molina yet? :p

Screw Froome and Valverde etc, I hope we have a weird one again. Some crazy outcome when someone like Plaza or Arroyo ends up in a break and hangs on to win.
I know it will never happen but I can dream.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Nibali won't ride. Aru and Landa are fresher and peaked for this. No space for Nibali imho.

Things can of course change but here's what Nibs said yesterday:

"Now I will take a break for a week. I'm happy to be with my family tomorrow, there is nothing more beautiful. I'll take a short breather and then I'll probably do the Vuelta."

Wishful thinking but I'm hoping they all go and they just let the road decide who is leader.

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
staubsauger said:

Things can of course change but here's what Nibs said yesterday:

"Now I will take a break for a week. I'm happy to be with my family tomorrow, there is nothing more beautiful. I'll take a short breather and then I'll probably do the Vuelta."

Wishful thinking but I'm hoping they all go and they just let the road decide who is leader.

Wow Nibs go for it :). Landa is moving to Sky, why on earth would he be the leader? Let Nibs and Aru decide on the road.

Valverde, vanGard, Majka are my picks if Froome and Nibali don't show up. Stage 10 is a killer but a bit early. Stage 20 is good for a long raid but not against a strong team. Stage 16 and the very flat post rest day Stage 17 TT will likely crown the winner.

How on earth can you seriously think that Landa is given team leadership at the Vuelta with Aru and possibly Nibali riding it????
Just to remind you, he had a very good Giro, but we are still waiting for him to confirm his talent. Then, maybe, he would get a chance to lead.

I'm sure Froome won't go. Tired. No real motivation. But I hope he gives a thought to the Giro for 2016. A rider that only targets the Tour will never be one of the best, ihmo.

Quintana might go, instead. He is young and I'm sure his body can recover TdF efforts in time. Plenty of climbing in the Vuelta and I'm sure after missing the Tour "the little Colombian" has got enough motivation for another GT.

Contador won't go. No point. He didn't manage to recover for the Tour. Let it go for the Vuelta after 2 hardly fought GTs.

Nibali? I think he'll go... against his will. Astana orders! And they will mess it up... Aru and Nibali, pretending to work together. It's never gonna work.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
DBotero said:
Arredondo said:
DBotero said:

Might be,but he won't ride ftw in Vuelta a Espana this year.Valverde will get the leadership.

Unzue said they will decide it on the road. And i think Quintana will go full genius to break Valverde's ambition at last.

Arredondo said:
DBotero said:
Arredondo said:
DBotero said:

Unzue said they will decide it on the road. And i think Quintana will go full genius to break Valverde's ambition at last.

I don't believe this,will see.It's the last chance for Valverde to win a GT,i think they'll fully support him and only if he's bad Quintana will step up.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
DBotero said:
Arredondo said:
DBotero said:
Arredondo said:
DBotero said:

I don't believe this,will see.It's the last chance for Valverde to win a GT,i think they'll fully support him and only if he's bad Quintana will step up.

I fear Astana will drop him quite hard on the stages to Cortals and Ermita de Alba. So better keep Quintana in store.

[/quote]
I fear Astana will drop him quite hard on the stages to Cortals and Ermita de Alba. So better keep Quintana in store.[/quote]

Astana Giro version surely,Astana Tour version don't think so,Astana Vuelta strenght unknown :D
Btw i hate this quote crap :(

TRENDING THREADS