• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 14: Écija - Sierra de la Pandera (175 km)

This weekend the riders will hit some of the Andalusian mountains. Today's stage has three climbs, but the toughest is clearly the finish on La Pandera.

Fernando Escartín commentary:
Mountain. The heat will accompany the peloton during a “leg-breaker” stage with a final climb up La Pandera (HC). The accumulated exhaustion and high temperatures will hinder a stage that could be favourable for a breakaway win, depending on everyone's interests regarding the general classification.

Profile:

PROFIL.png

Climbs:
Km 85.5 - Puerto El Mojón - 8.8 kilometre-long climb at 3.7% - category 3
Km 153.1 - Puerto Locubin - 8.5 kilometre-long climb at 4.8% - category 2
Km 175.0 - Sierra de la Pandera - 12 kilometre-long climb at 7.3% - category H

Sierra de la Pandera:
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Final 5 km:
PROFILKMS.png

The Sierra de la Pandera has been a finish several times before in the Vuelta. In 2002 Roberto Heras won; in 2003 Alejandro Valverde; in 2006 Kashechkin. In 2009 Damiano Cunego won the stage from a breakaway. Alejandro Valverde lost 14 seconds to Samuel Sánchez, but he kept the leader's jersey.

Forecast looks hot and sunny for the weekend which is good for Froome, hopefully he isn't feeling the effects of his spills on Thursday.

Think Sky will let the break go unless Froome is feeling super, so it will be up to the other teams if they want a stage win.

Pantani_lives said:
The Sierra de la Pandera has only been a finish once before in the Vuelta. In 2009 Damiano Cunego won the stage from a breakaway. Alejandro Valverde lost 14 seconds to Samuel Sánchez, but he kept the leader's jersey.

IIRC Sierra de la Pandera has been finish at least three times before in the Vuelta ;)
2003: Valverde
2006: Kashechkin
2009: Cunego

ice&fire said:
Pantani_lives said:
The Sierra de la Pandera has only been a finish once before in the Vuelta. In 2009 Damiano Cunego won the stage from a breakaway. Alejandro Valverde lost 14 seconds to Samuel Sánchez, but he kept the leader's jersey.

IIRC Sierra de la Pandera has been finish at least three times before in the Vuelta ;)

Thanks, the website I used only goes back to 2007. I'll edit the OP.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Forecast looks hot and sunny for the weekend which is good for Froome, hopefully he isn't feeling the effects of his spills on Thursday.

Think Sky will let the break go unless Froome is feeling super so it will be up to the other teams if they want a stage win.

That's correct: if he feels good he'll attack going for the stage. Otherwise i see nibali gain few seconds

There have been a stage finish here also in 2002, 2003 and 2006. This time the approach to the climb will be different.
I saw it by the first time in 2003 and I must say I it impressed me both by the time Heras won on that stage in a short distance to Isidro Nozal, the yellow jersey, (1:26 in about 4km) as by the look of the mountain. It seems hostile and cosy at the same time.

Re: Re:

klintE said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
klintE said:
I want to see Enric, Atapuma, Majka and Bardet in the break.
Lame break lacking riders with climbing abilities will kill me.
I'm afraid Majka has no legs. No shape in this race.
No legged Majka is still like 7 times better for that course than some De Clerc or so

Hype remains even in the face of evidence :lol:
And what did poor de Clerc do to be the but of such exaggeration

Pantani_lives said:
ice&fire said:
Pantani_lives said:

Thanks, the website I used only goes back to 2007. I'll edit the OP.

Also:
2002: R. Heras

TRENDING THREADS