• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 16: Circuito de Navarra - Logroño (40.2km)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:
Not sure I get the hyperbole around Froome for this result. Surely 30 seconds on Kelderman and a minute on Nibali is just about par from what we have seen in the last five years. Maybe even slightly under par for such a flat, non technical TT.

You are missing the point completely

This performacne is at the end of his 2nd GT in a row riding for GC when everyone else in the race who rode the Tour are showing the signs (at some point, but mostly now )......this is why its remarkable and quite unbelieveable :rolleyes:

I don't agree with you at all.
Froome is amazing in TT's even when he is tired and fading in the mountains.
Last years Vuelta where he certainly was not the strongest rider in the mountains he won stage 19, a 37km TT, by 44 seconds over Castroviejo. His closest GC rival was Contador, who lost about 2 minutes to Froome.

So, the way I see it, Contador did way worse in last years Vuelta TT (having not finished the Tour) compared to Froome than this years Vuelta TT (when both finished the Tour).
Or, another way of putting it is as follows: Froome did worse in the TT today than he did in last years TT where his closest GC rival hadn't finished the Tour.

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:
Not sure I get the hyperbole around Froome for this result. Surely 30 seconds on Kelderman and a minute on Nibali is just about par from what we have seen in the last five years. Maybe even slightly under par for such a flat, non technical TT.

This performacne is at the end of his 2nd GT in a row riding for GC when everyone else in the race who rode the Tour are showing the signs (at some point, but mostly now )......this is why its remarkable and quite unbelieveable :rolleyes:
It's remarkable and unbelievable if you haven't been following cycling for the last five years. :rolleyes: If you have been following, then it's pretty much business as usual. He put in a better TT later on in the Vuelta last year.

The point is that being surprised by it at this stage is ridiculous.

I have been following cycling for alot longer and the who said anything about being surprised ...geez waht is the point if you cannot read what is in front of you ...

HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:

It's remarkable and unbelievable if you haven't been following cycling for the last five years. :rolleyes: If you have been following, then it's pretty much business as usual. He put in a better TT later on in the Vuelta last year.

The point is that being surprised by it at this stage is ridiculous.

I have been following cycling for alot longer and the who said anything about being surprised ...geez waht is the point if you cannot read what is in front of you ...
Oh I see, so your use of words like 'remarkable' and 'unbelievable' were not surprise, just a snide Clinic reference. In that case, I suggest you take it there. I'm out.

Ruby United said:
HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:

I don't agree with you at all.
Froome is amazing in TT's even when he is tired and fading in the mountains.
Last years Vuelta where he certainly was not the strongest rider in the mountains he won stage 19, a 37km TT, by 44 seconds over Castroviejo. His closest GC rival was Contador, who lost about 2 minutes to Froome.

So, the way I see it, Contador did way worse in last years Vuelta TT (having not finished the Tour) compared to Froome than this years Vuelta TT (when both finished the Tour).
Or, another way of putting it is as follows: Froome did worse in the TT today than he did in last years TT where his closest GC rival hadn't finished the Tour.

Did he not say that he was saving energy for the upcoming stage(s) or am I mistaken?

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
and i 'd say that he could win another stage but it will be difficult , Nibali did a great tt just 57 seconds back to Froome i was hoping for something better to have a race more open but the dominance is clear , Froome is impressive he ride this after a tour de france won , and now he is dominating la vuelta agianst a fresh Nibali , it's better than Indurain who in his victories didint' face riders like Nibali while doing the double

Re:

meat puppet said:
Was the amount motopacing even amongst the gc boys? Understood froome got less than some others. If so, all the more impressive from him.

It certainly looked to be benefitting some more than others. It's a bit ridiculous how much better Valverde and Contador generally do in flat TTs in Spain than elsewhere - especially in recent years.

I wonder if there is much the organisers can do about it though. Contador was being led out by two Guardia Civil for most of the route. I wonder if the race organisers even have the jurisdiction to tell the police or Guardia Civil, in charge of crowd control, to go further ahead.

spalco said:
Angliru said:
Did he not say that he was saving energy for the upcoming stage(s) or am I mistaken?

That's what he said. Do you believe it?

What would be the point of announcing it, so that his rivals will give less effort? That makes no sense. So that his rivals will give even more effort thinking that they will make up some time they otherwise might not, and consequently be worn out for the upcoming stages? Is it a mind game he thinks that he and his team are capable of playing with their rivals, so beneath the Sky intellect that they fall over themselves trying figure truth from fiction? I think they pay him no mind and ride their own race (itt). I really can't see what is to be gained from making his announcement if only to make, as I stated in another thread prior to the start of today's stage, his inevitable victory seem even more ridiculous in the eyes of viewers when it happens.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:

Defending yellow for most of the Tour, followed by post-Tour crits and appearances, including a trip to Kazakhstan, appears to be the new optimal preparation to smash the Vuelta almost from the beginning. No problem defending red this long. :eek:

Re:

telencefalus said:
and i 'd say that he could win another stage but it will be difficult , Nibali did a great tt just 57 seconds back to Froome i was hoping for something better to have a race more open but the dominance is clear , Froome is impressive he ride this after a tour de france won , and now he is dominating la vuelta agianst a fresh Nibali , it's better than Indurain who in his victories didint' face riders like Nibali while doing the double

Please stop. :sad:

Angliru said:
[...]I really can't see what is to be gained from making his announcement if only to make, as I stated in another thread prior to the start of today's stage, his inevitable victory seem even more ridiculous in the eyes of viewers when it happens.

Preemptive excuse for a mediocre performance is an explanation I could see. I don't think it's possible to half-ass a TT anyway though if you care at all about the result.

Beech Mtn said:
HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:

Defending yellow for most of the Tour, followed by post-Tour crits and appearances, including a trip to Kazakhstan, appears to be the new optimal preparation to smash the Vuelta almost from the beginning. No problem defending red this long. :eek:

Froome spent most of his time training, actually.
In the 25 (or so) days between the Tour and Vuelta he rode 3000km in training - almost equivalent to another GT!

Ruby United said:
klintE said:
Pharazon said:
jarvo said:
Kirby seems to think Froome will average 52km/hr in this time trial????
kirby's an idiot
Vroomeys avg. speed: 51.319 km/h - barely missed
51.3 km/h seems close to 52 km/h number wise, but translated into time you can see it is quite a foolish prediction:
52 km/h for 40.2 km = 46 minutes 23 seconds.
30 seconds is a foolishness edge?
Please

Gigs_98 said:
I think this could be a very strange TT in which Froome ends up winning the stage since not so many great TT'ers are riding the vuelta but he won't gain that much time since his TT shape this year hasn't been great. I think the most likely scenario is that Nibali will lose around a minute to Froome maybe a little more.
I'd call that a good prediction :cool: ;)

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site

Ruby United said:
Beech Mtn said:
HelloDolly said:
DFA123 said:

Froome spent most of his time training, actually.
In the 25 (or so) days between the Tour and Vuelta he rode 3000km in training - almost equivalent to another GT!
WELL IF this is true , he is not human ,and if he is he will fade bad becasue like dottor ferrari say if you train too hard your career is going to last very few

klintE said:
Ruby United said:
klintE said:
Pharazon said:
jarvo said:
Kirby seems to think Froome will average 52km/hr in this time trial????
kirby's an idiot
Vroomeys avg. speed: 51.319 km/h - barely missed
51.3 km/h seems close to 52 km/h number wise, but translated into time you can see it is quite a foolish prediction:
52 km/h for 40.2 km = 46 minutes 23 seconds.
30 seconds is a foolishness edge?
Please

I specifically said 'quite foolish.'
Calling him an idiot because of that prediction is harsh.