• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta Stage 17: Villadiego - Los Machucos (180.5 km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

spalco said:
bosfor said:
Red Rick said:
Alberto Contador will win this bike race

For once let this meme come true.

It's actually possible today too.
It's possible on any stage, but I don't think it's at all likely today. As Flecha said, the rain is a huge disadvantage for riders who prefer to climb out of the saddle and he is clearly not among the best 4-5 climbers in the race.

Anyway, I expect a breakaway win, or otherwise either Lopez or Froome.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
spalco said:
bosfor said:
Red Rick said:

It's possible on any stage, but I don't think it's at all likely today. As Flecha said, the rain is a huge disadvantage for riders who prefer to climb out of the saddle and he is clearly not among the best 4-5 climbers in the race.

On Angliru 2008 he didn't went out of the saddle that much neither. He simply danced away from everybody sitting in the saddle.

Even if nothing spectacular happens in the gc battle today, this is probably at least the most scenic stage of the race
Portillo de Lunada:
lunada10.jpg

lunada04-750x350.jpg

Puerto de Alisas:
52807530.jpg

Los Machucos:
20130501_103758-1024x768.jpg

I really love this region

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
spalco said:
bosfor said:
Red Rick said:

Stage 5 and 7 showed he may be as strong as Froome on these climbs. Even Woods could do well. It's the longer endurance climbs that doesn't suit Alberto anymore. He is a chance I reckon.

More than 9 minutes gap. Suppose, no interest to win the stage in the bunch. Denifl or Alafpolak ftw

Lopez was the strongest on 2 previous challenging stages. If he is today he will attack, possibly 3km to go

EDIT: outdated, Astana and Bora working on the front, gap getting lower immediately

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Break needs 4 and a half minutes at the foot of the penultimate climb minimum I think.

Seems legit, but the advantage will probably have been almost diminished by then.

quote="skippo12"]Bora seems to think that Majka can win the stage against the GC contenders.[/quote]

The earlier they reel in the break, the more chance Majka has.

TRENDING THREADS