• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta stage 20. Corvera → Alto de El Angliru - 119km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

benzwire said:
LaFlorecita said:
With all this hype, I think we are in for a massive disappointment :eek: breakaway win and the top-5 to finish within 30s of eachother.
debbie-downer-300x230.jpg
Alright, alright, Alberto Contador will win this bike race

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Mmm. Still no spanish victories at this Vuelta. Cycling becoming more and more international?

Anyway my heart is with Contador, his victory would be the final showdown of a hugely successful career, although it's probably going to be Froome's day... unless Nibali performs a miracle.

Gigs_98 said:
Just started watching Pedro Delgado's preview for the Angliru and he did it with...Samu Sanchez...now that's controversial
Less controversial than Horner doing it with LeMond :D . Mods working overtime..

But with tregards to the topic, I will quote the greatest philosopher in recent times, Netserk: "I like happy endings."

I'm not a Contador fan, but I admire his style and I respect his panache. And in this Vuelta, he's living up to the legend, attacking time and time again, refusing to to go away, refusing to lose...what do-or-die is all about. A win tomorrow and hopefully a podium finish would be a great ending. Overall win? We can't be that greedy.

In the era of earpieces and calculated moves, Alberto will be missed. He may be the last old school cycling champion. Instincts, guts, roll the dice.

I hope that he wins this bike race.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Tonton said:
Gigs_98 said:
Just started watching Pedro Delgado's preview for the Angliru and he did it with...Samu Sanchez...now that's controversial
Less controversial than Horner doing it with LeMond :D . Mods working overtime..

But with tregards to the topic, I will quote the greatest philosopher in recent times, Netserk: "I like happy endings."

I'm not a Contador fan, but I admire his style and I respect his panache. And in this Vuelta, he's living up to the legend, attacking time and time again, refusing to to go away, refusing to lose...what do-or-die is all about. A win tomorrow and hopefully a podium finish would be a great ending. Overall win? We can't be that greedy.

In the era of earpieces and calculated moves, Alberto will be missed. He may be the last old school cycling champion. Instincts, guts, roll the dice.

Great post. Tomorrow the last old school boy will retire.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, we'll see what's going to happen but many things have to happen to have Contador like a winner of Vuelta.

1) Really good legs from Contador, no problems on the descents and being much better than their contenders
2) The help from Niballi and a collaboration between both riders and their teams
3) Sky and Froome being not so good and no collaboration of other contenders to fill the gap and keep pushing (which it's not going to happen, I think)

I don't know why I think somethikng wrong is going to happen on the descent. Abraham Olano y Fernando Escartín dropen on the descent of Cordal and Alex Zulle dropen on the descent of Cobertoria (but the road has changed since then).

Anyway, tomorrow it's the final battle of the biggest cyclist from the new millenium,

Alto de la Reigada, np (km 12,7):  450 m – 12 km – 3,5 %
Alto de la Cobertoria, 1ª (km 79,5):  1.195 m – 8,1 km – 8,6 %  *sin contar subida previa
Alto del Cordal / La Soterraña, 1ª (km 96,4):  790 m – 5,7 km – 8,6 %
Alto de L’Angliru, Es (Meta):  1.560 m – 12,5 km – 9,8 %

Whatever happens tomorrow, ¡gracias Contador!.

Zakarin will try to do Wilco in the Angliru. He can do it. But both worry about Contador taking the podium spot and may react if Berto attacks...helping Dawg in the process.

Nibali? Sky could be wiped off the road if the action begins early, but Froome has the option to stick to Vinnie's back wheel and win. Only a vintage Squalo can shake a struggling Froome off his back wheel and make up the time.

Tomorrow can be a classic, or be a dud. Contador will attack: what else?

Krzysztof_O said:
Contador to go thermonuclear on Cobertoria 45 km from the finish. It'll encourage Nibali and a few other strong climbers to attack on Cordal and join him. Team Sky will be forced to chase and burn their domestiques. Isolated Froome will crack on Angliru. Unfortunately Alberto will pay for his huge effort on steep Angliru slopes but his move will decide the race: the winner will be Shark of Messina.

Some amazing write ups on the first three pages of this tremendous thread. Thank-you in particular to Red Rick for taking on - and being deserving of - the honor of the OP (second biggest AC fan to Flo), and what a great job he has done with it.

Sadly I have a feeling that the above poster may be right; that Alberto Contador can no longer win this bike race, but only influence it for another. If he races 'sensibly' and goes halfway up the final climb, then he may sneak onto the podium, but surely he cannot take so much time on both Nibali and especially Froome in only twenty-five minutes of racing?

But if he waits until then, and we see that Froome is weak and he loses two minutes, and Nibali loses one minute, then we will always wonder, what if?

Alberto Contador is not about what if's.

But I predict a little restraint here. He won't go on the first climb. Any attack on the first climb is still over 40 kms from the finish. Any attack on the penultimate climb is less than 30 kms to go to the finish. AC shall attack on Cordal.

This is the best balanced move to make. It creates less chance of completely blowing up in the final few kms, whilst still making the race harder for longer, thus at least creating the slightest of chances for a miraculous overall victory.

For now we can still dream, and so we should. Nothing in life is certain, but all that matters is that there is a chance.

Alberto Contador could win this bike race.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
My predictions:

Christopher Froome will win this bike race.
Vincenzo Nibali will give it a go with 5km to go, find out that the best he can do is protect second place.
Alberto Contador will give his best effort to get third place but will fall short.

My HEAD says EXACTLY this :(

But my HEART says something else entirely :)

With the predicted rain, the descents are going to be critical. Makes me think Bardet could upset the GC guys by attacking on the penultimate climb, extending on the descent, and beginning the Amgliru with 1:30, which for a climber of his ability could be enough.

Tonton said:
Gigs_98 said:

Good post.

Was going get out on my bike tomorrow morning but I want to watch this live, mostly in appreciation of Alberto -
the last time we'll see him dance on the pedals.

We need to will this into existence:

Alberto Contador will win this bike race.

Contador to attack at 5km to go, Froome bridges up to him, they work together to the finish line 30s ahead of Nibali et al. Froome gifts Contador the stage, they share a handshake, then a hug and then a kiss....

Gigs_98 said:
Just started watching Pedro Delgado's preview for the Angliru...In case you want to watch it yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlRlFaG4NRY
Perico is 57, and looks like he would still finish in the middle of the field if he were racing. He's been riding up Angliru for years and putting many of those to video. He must live near there, or "enjoy" the climb. If you undersand any spanish at all, this is fun to watch, from some years back now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xs1DicRFjE

Tonton said:
Gigs_98 said:

:confused:

I don't recall writing that, and being European and all, I'm more to tragedies than Hollywood happy endings. Life is tragic; fairytales are for kids ;)

Froome just needs to keep an eye on when Nibali tries an attack. It's all down to managing the time he has on the others,. He will watch Contador ride off into the unknown but he will keep an eye on his time gain and manage him accordingly. He should have no need to panic unless he comes off his bike, he has the team to control the race until the last climb then it's TT time all the way up the Angliru.