• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WADA, Contador and Plasticizers

"Extensive research is underway involving populations of athletes and samples from the general population, but we can not predict their outcome."

Indeed. I started a thread earlier which showed data indicating that the values for DEHP metabolites can be very high in some non-transfused individuals, and also can vary greatly in one individual over time.

Here are a couple more links from the same group (and if I were AC, I would hire Dr. Silva as my scientific advisor):

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/3/688.long

Study of 379 men shows highest values for MEHHP, MEOHP and MEHP of 2886, 1780 and 876, with 95% values of 601, 444 and 112. These are the same metabolites analyzed in the Segura study that showed large differences between transfused and non-transfused individuals. We still don't know the two metabolites which had values of 480 and 210 for Bert, but it's a good guess that one if not both of them is in this group of three. Can't be sure, though, since the German lab reportedly is using a slightly different test.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1253667/?tool=pubmed

Fig. 1 in this study shows that some individuals exhibit changes in MEHP values of 10 times or more during a 24 hour period. Again, this is relevant to Bert's reported drop of about 10 times from 7/20 to 7/21. This study shows that such changes are possible in ordinary individuals day to day.

Well, if the test turns out to not be reliable it'll be a shame. Although perhaps it won't be too much of a loss, since there's so many obvious ways to beat the test even simply by using different bags, so a different approach would be needed anyway.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The test for plasticizers is largely irrelevant. Contador will be DQ'ed from this year's Tour and get at least 1 year, just like every other Clenbuterol positive athlete.

The burden will be on Contador to prove the meat he ate was contaminated. He will be unable to do this. So the only question is will Contador get a 1 year or 2 year suspension, not whether he will be sanctioned at all.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't a conclusion supposed to have been reached by yesterday? I'm sure Dopeadore is already aware of his sanction-- the question is how long will they wait to make it public

I'm going to be really disappointed if they end up letting Contador off with just a slap on the wrist. I might be able to believe Contador if he had just tested positive for traces or Clenbuterol or if just plasticizers had been found in his blood, but not both. Both happening at the same time clearly point to blood doping, there are just too many coincidences involved to make any other explanation plausible.

hey, when Cyclingnews publishes a new which can hold good consequences for Contador then inmediately a shadow comes over him again...

El Pais publishes the same new as, very, very, good news for Contador:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/depo...rueban/nada/elpepidep/20101014elpepidep_8/Tes

so the plastizers don't proove anything, next step, and only one, Clen, tainted meet is pausible, then, what if he gets one year ban and it keeps Tour de France? This might be like the worst-best scenario for him. He won't be happy, of course, but a year goes quickly and he keeps the Tour.

If the food contamination is considered in the process, as it seems it is, then he could not be stripped from TdF. And if they do, more than never cycling will be in an admistratice-burocracy-technicallity state of things.

In my oppinion only a clear clase of volunteer doping should end with 2 years ban and the stripped titles.

I don't think UCI wants to put ASO in a hurry due a technicality, then the conclusion seems good for Contador.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Blakeslee said:
I'm going to be really disappointed if they end up letting Contador off with just a slap on the wrist. I might be able to believe Contador if he had just tested positive for traces or Clenbuterol or if just plasticizers had been found in his blood, but not both. Both happening at the same time clearly point to blood doping, there are just too many coincidences involved to make any other explanation plausible.

You can ignore all comments about plasticizers until (or more like if) the test is ever validated. In all I've read I think reports of it being reliable are premature.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Aguirre said:
so the plastizers don't proove anything, next step, and only one, Clen, tainted meet is pausible, then, what if he gets one year ban and it keeps Tour de France? This might be like the worst-best scenario for him. He won't be happy, of course, but a year goes quickly and he keeps the Tour.

You cannot keep your Tour title when you test positive during the race, contaminated food or not (of course we all know the contaminated food explanation is a bunch of horse shlt). I hope it's 2 years but I'm not counting on it.

M Sport said:
You can ignore all comments about plasticizers until (or more like if) the test is ever validated. In all I've read I think reports of it being reliable are premature.

From what I have read the situation with the plasticizers test is similar to what happened with the homologous blood doping test when it was used in the Tyler Hamilton case. Just like the homologous blood doping test, the science behind the plasticizers test is not new and it is an accurate way of measuring the level of plasticizers. What they are still debating is where to set the level which would trigger a positive test.

If the rumors turn out to be true about the amount of plasticizers found in Contador's test (8 times above normal levels), I suspect the levels will be so far above whatever they are considering to be a normal baseline level that a transfusion can be the only explanation.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Altitude said:
You cannot keep your Tour title when you test positive during the race, contaminated food or not (of course we all know the contaminated food explanation is a bunch of horse shlt). I hope it's 2 years but I'm not counting on it.

If they manage to spin this into an insignificant penalty, I am out of this sport as a fan.