• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Warning for Lance fans

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Laszlo said:
holy carp batman, yes you did and you repeat it again despite your denial ! you must be a politician, or at least destined for such an orifice.

I think it might be worth to examine LAs actual training logbook during his tdf years and contrast that with that of some of his rivals. Merckx always said, to become a good cyclist you must ride lots ( or words to that effect). I think that is very true, personally, I never had any athletic talent growing up, but when I got into cycling I treated it like a major addiction- I rode lots and pushed myself to achieve personal best times on a near daily basis- and I got darn fast on regular wheels and steel- I always caught guys on the road, even coming back on double centuries. I think most of your doping proponents are weekend warrior racer types- people only willing to go half-way- and have no knowledge of what you can do when you decide to go all the way and more. Do yourself a favour and push yourself sometime, maybe you can realize you don't need to cheat or drugs to achieve personal greatness- you just need to get serious and push yourself.

Lance > lazy cake eating euro trash
Not drugs, it is higher cadence, more training, weight loss, and plus he was the only one ever to preride the mountain stages before the tour.

Laszlo said:
holy carp batman, yes you did and you repeat it again despite your denial ! you must be a politician, or at least destined for such an orifice.

I think it might be worth to examine LAs actual training logbook during his tdf years and contrast that with that of some of his rivals. Merckx always said, to become a good cyclist you must ride lots ( or words to that effect). I think that is very true, personally, I never had any athletic talent growing up, but when I got into cycling I treated it like a major addiction- I rode lots and pushed myself to achieve personal best times on a near daily basis- and I got darn fast on regular wheels and steel- I always caught guys on the road, even coming back on double centuries. I think most of your doping proponents are weekend warrior racer types- people only willing to go half-way- and have no knowledge of what you can do when you decide to go all the way and more. Do yourself a favour and push yourself sometime, maybe you can realize you don't need to cheat or drugs to achieve personal greatness- you just need to get serious and push yourself.

Translation: "I was a nerd, a spaz, and a clutzoid with no athletic talent, but then I started riding lots. I am able to pass many riders on the road (most of whom are probably doing an easy day and don't know that I think I am racing them). I can also pass people during centuries and charity rides. I am awesome. I never tried racing, but I know I am fast. Why cannot the rest of you be as awesome as I think I am?"

EDIT: New word that does not pass the word filter: spaz. WTF!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
Did you watch the race? Festina went up a notch from the year before - they were so juiced in that race that they were nearly glowing. Riis was another year older, they were all on the program, the best guy won. Pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
So you say.... we know by his own admission Riis doped in 96, and therefore we can conclude he did so again in 97- but where did he place ? I believe Zulle and Jaja admitted doping too and never won the tdf. Floyd was busted for testosterone, not epo. Your statement is absolute proof of nothing- but to be fair, it cannot be disproven either; winning does not equal doping and vice versa; it is not proof, just a squiggle on a page.

The skinny I got from a doctor was that Floyd was blood doping and the testastorone was a mask for another substance in the new blood(EPO).? Makes sense to me.

Laszlo said:

First off I love cycling as well and I'm always happy to hear when people decide to commit to the sport and put themselves into that positive feedback loop of healthy living and hard training and good sleep and getting stronger and fitter. It feels great and you are seeing the results so good for you.

But let me ask you, what does you and me making ourselves fit and fast on a bike have to do with Lance Armstrong doping himself up to beat other dopers at the Tour de France where you have a pack of the very best cyclists in the entire world and most of them are full of PED's on top of being genetically gifted at what they do? There is just no equivalence here. There is no parallel between even making yourself a top local racer and winning local races at the amateur level and a pro racer at the top of his game trying to win the most prestigious bike race in the World.

BikeCentric said:
There is no parallel between even making yourself a top local racer and winning local races at the amateur level and a pro racer at the top of his game trying to win the most prestigious bike race in the World.

I can agree with that! When you look at your power to weight and realize that if you lost 10-15 lbs and could hold you VO2 power for 30-60 minutes, you'd still get beat ... well, it puts it into perspective.

Thank goodness I can enjoy a non-cycling career, extra glasses of wine (or beer), and time with my little one :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:

I despise Lance and I believe with utter certainty that he is a cheat and a liar.

But yeah, I used to be one of those pesky "weekend warrior racer types" who only went halfway. The races I did on the weekends were UCI semi pro classics or national elite Euro Kermesses or criteriums....but those are all eminently achievable without really having to push yourself, and if you don't win you can always just chuck a wobbler and say that everyone better than you is doping.

when i was out "training" I often used to look on admiration at one of those "serious" guys out pushing themselves....you know riding on the outer ring at 30km/h on their Trek with one of those yellow wristbands that only the ultra-elite are allowed to wear. We were all terrified that such bastions of athletic talent and training dedication would lower themselves to actually riding a race, and then once they got their elite licenses (probably after a week or so) they'd come and humiliate us each weekend. Hell I'm sure a lot of them had what it takes to go pro, riding centuries for fun and all....I just heard (Thank God!) that most of those guys are reluctant to race as they don't want to destroy cycling by winning too easily, and in any case they're racing against themselves which is far more honourable than racing against the best guys in your country.

Respect!