• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WC 2012: U-23 Men and Elite Women Road Races

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
don't think tomorrow they will race like that, although Tommeke has a better chance than I previously thought... Kaz deserved that win, they looked serious and executed well

Eshnar said:
Weren't short stages more exciting than longer ones? :eek:
When will this mediatic legend be wiped out?

I think stages like these are pretty good
PROFIL.gif

Otherwise, yeah they suck

Bemelerberg is horrible for the race. Relatively easy climb followed by nasty false flat with wind. The worst scenario for a solo or small group against the peloton. This race has the same problem as the AGR. Hard, but not selective.

By the way, Belgian U23 riders doing marginal gains after the race (cooling down). I expect them to win everything from now on.

burning said:
I think stages like these are pretty good
PROFIL.gif

Otherwise, yeah they suck

And in this stage, you got the best rider of the generation attacking full-out on the first kilometres of the stage... only to be caught by the bunch at the foot of the last climb.

Add another big climb before Telegraphe and that wouldn't have happened.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
That's because the best punchers of the U23 don't have the power to pull through their attack on the flat on the top. Pro's are different, more power.

Id say it goes the other way. In the u23 both the attackers and chasers have less power so there is less slipstream and the hill is longer.

In the pros they will have more power so go faster which means the hill will last less time - less of an obstacle, and slipstream will be higher.

The example is MSR which has become more and more of a spritners race as power in the peloton has increased.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Sure, with another 90k on sunday, the course will be selective, but still, I expected, or rather hoped for, that we would have seen more carnage in hte U23 race.

It's obvious that hard attacks prior to the last lap will have smal chance on succeding. The distance from the top of Cauberg and foot of Bemelberg is just too long. The belgians shouldn't panic when attacks come on Cauberg, because the long flatter section will be enough to catch any dangerous attacks.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Id say it goes the other way. In the u23 both the attackers and chasers have less power so there is less slipstream and the hill is longer.

In the pros they will have more power so go faster which means the hill will last less time - less of an obstacle, and slipstream will be higher.

The example is MSR which has become more and more of a spritners race as power in the peloton has increased.

That's why from the last 5 editions of Milan-San Remo only 2 have been won in a sprint. :rolleyes:

Eshnar said:
Already discussed about that... that was good only thanks to a desperate AC attack, which had no chance at all of succeeding. At the bottom of L'Alpe the peloton was full. Just like nothing happened.

If only Andy worked with Contador :eek: still, I think that If there is no flat on short stages, I think they can be really entertaining

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
If they race like this tomorrow Phil will win.

You think? I actually have a hard time seeing Gilbert opening up a gap big enough on Cauberg to hold all the way to the finish. It will depend on how big the peleton is on Cauberg, if guys like Freire for example still have guys that can help chase on the flat section before the finish.

El Pistolero said:
That's why from the last 5 editions of Milan-San Remo only 2 have been won in a sprint. :rolleyes:

Do you really go to a university?

I swear to god, no one stupid enough to think that a conveniently chosen sample of 5, without even making comparisons, can prove or disprove a century wide trend would get anywhere near a university in this country.

Falken said:
You think? I actually have a hard time seeing Gilbert opening up a gap big enough on Cauberg to hold all the way to the finish. It will depend on how big the peleton is on Cauberg, if guys like Freire and Boonen for example still have guys that can help chase on the flat section before the finish.

I dont think that Boonen's guys will chase Gilbert :eek:

burning said:
If only Andy worked with Contador :eek: still, I think that If there is no flat on short stages, I think they can be really entertaining
Problem is that, even if you are Contador, you can't stay away from a full, fresh peloton. As long as air drag plays a role, you're screwed. If there is no flat, only climbs above 9% gradient, only technical descents... maybe a short stage could be good (or at least as good as a longer one)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Do you really go to a university?

I swear to god, no one stupid enough to think that a conveniently chosen sample of 5, without even making comparisons, can prove or disprove a century wide trend would get anywhere near a university in this country.

Century wide trend? You think Milan-San Remo has been a sprinters race for a century? Wow, you really know nothing about this sport!

I chose 2008 as a starting point because they added a new climb in 2008(Le Manie) and this climb has caused the selection at least 2 times since then.

At least try to pretend you know something about Milan-San Remo. ;)

Since 2003 5 editions have been bunch sprints and 5 have been won solo or in a small group.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Falken said:
You think? I actually have a hard time seeing Gilbert opening up a gap big enough on Cauberg to hold all the way to the finish. It will depend on how big the peleton is on Cauberg, if guys like Freire for example still have guys that can help chase on the flat section before the finish.

Pro riders will be able to force an actual selection on the Cauberg. As if Spain will try to gamble on Freire just so Boonen can beat him in a sprint.