• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Welcome to the CN Forum - Come and introduce yourself

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I've been reading the board for a while and finally decided to join. Right on time, I'd say, since important races are beginning.
I'm a cycling fan and recreational cyclist for almost 20 years. Tour de France is a race I absolutely adore, but I've no less respect for the northern classics.

The forum rules I've read are clear and fair, but I've noticed there's a lot of discussion about moderators, violations, suspensions... So, can someone explain to me what a troll is and what is a sockpuppet. These two terms are frequently mentioned in discussions, but poorly explained in the rules. It seems that there's certain level of disagreement regarding the terms, so I want to be sure before start posting.

Cheers!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi Lafers, welcome to the forum. :)

A troll basically is a poster that seeks to start arguments through the use of controversial, inflammatory, off topic, insulting posts in order to disrupt a threads discussion; making it essentially unreadable. So if I were to go to the Armstrong thread and start preaching his cleanliness and posting in a way to rile people up, I would be trolling. Basically posting in a way that makes the forums not a very nice place.

A sockpuppet is an account made by a user that already has an account. If you'll notice, this is against forum rules.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Lafers said:
Hi,
I've been reading the board for a while and finally decided to join. Right on time, I'd say, since important races are beginning.
I'm a cycling fan and recreational cyclist for almost 20 years. Tour de France is a race I absolutely adore, but I've no less respect for the northern classics.

The forum rules I've read are clear and fair, but I've noticed there's a lot of discussion about moderators, violations, suspensions... So, can someone explain to me what a troll is and what is a sockpuppet. These two terms are frequently mentioned in discussions, but poorly explained in the rules. It seems that there's certain level of disagreement regarding the terms, so I want to be sure before start posting.

Cheers!
So it could safely be assumed that you are at least, 21-years-old. At least. At the very least.

And yet these terms are not only mysterious to you, but you were unable to find any clear explanation of those terms outside of this forum. Would that be correct?

Something tells me that new examples of both may soon appear for our reading pleasure.

Welcome. :)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanx for the responses.
Even though there's a note of distrust and suspicion in Granville's one. I guess it's the result of experience on the board.

Howdy. I've been reading this site for a long time and I've just decided to come out from the shadows...
Cycling and record collecting(metal) are my passions...
Groupie of other members' posts such as jens attacks, hrotha, the hog, the hitch...
Sorry for my poor English...
And so it goes...

Black Betsy said:
Howdy. I've been reading this site for a long time and I've just decided to come out from the shadows...
Groupie of other members' posts such as jens attacks, hrotha, the hog, the hitch...
And so it goes...

Your English is good but record collecting not so:p

Only joking, welcome aboard BB:)

Don't be scared to post. The guys can bite sometimes but on a whole the bark is worse:)

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Black Betsy said:
And so it goes...

excellent taste in both music and posters.

Im looking forward to reading more of your posts.

TRENDING THREADS