• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
krebs303 said:
l will never understand the popularity of Corona.
Bohemia isn't to bad.
But except for Noche Buena I stay away from Mexican Beer.
We do have world class wines grown about 35 miles south of me in the Guadalupe Valley. But back to beer.
A 12 pack a day is just too much dinero for good beer. And weekends I worked as a bouncer in a country western bar with Pabst Blue Ribbon on tap.
My next time in the states I am going to go to The Back Abbey that Scott So Cal was mentioning. I do like good beer. But some days it just comes down to whats on sale
And brewerjeff I have brewed my own beer and was thrilled with the results.
And have been toying with the idea of doing it again but nobody down here can tell me if it's legal here in Mexico.

Perhaps we should have a CN forum night at the Back Abbey if the stars align and you are in town the same time as Race Radio.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Hugh Januss said:
Perhaps we should have a CN forum night at the Back Abbey if the stars align and you are in town the same time as Race Radio.
Sounds good to me. Do they have Pearl in a can?:rolleyes:
It wouldn't be be the same without Scott. When is his ride?
I can come north anytime.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Sounds good to me. Do they have Pearl in a can?:rolleyes:
It wouldn't be be the same without Scott. When is his ride?
I can come north anytime.

The day before the pro's ride the Tour of Flanders. I would attend, but the tyranny distance be a harsh mistress.

A

Anonymous

Homebrew - Mexico

krebs303 said:
l will never understand the popularity of Corona.

And brewerjeff I have brewed my own beer and was thrilled with the results.
And have been toying with the idea of doing it again but nobody down here can tell me if it's legal here in Mexico.

Buenos Dias! I checked on the American Hombrewers' web site http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/
and under the "Find a Homebrew Club in Your Area" there is a club listed in Mexico. Potosi Homebrew. I imagine getting some supplies could be a challenge. My experience as a homebrewer and the experience of others is that it is easy to make good beer, but it is even easier to make bad beer. Ruthless sanitation, attention to detail, humility and refrigeration are the keys.

A German brewer once told me that in brewing school they were taught that the best beer is one where half way through the first glass the drinker is starting to think about the second glass. Makes sense if you're selling beer.

And that "Corona" signature taste used to come from exposure of hop resins to ultraviolet light through the clear glass. It is called "skunky", or "light struck". Same thing happens to Heinie in the green bottles. Here's an experiment anyone can try. Get a nice highly hopped beer. Put it in a clear glass. Leave it in direct sunlight for 10 minutes and voila, skunked Heinie (unless thasy have used pre-isomerized extracts).

craig1985 said:
The other night in Roma, which is a Western Queensland town, had this beer called Fat Yak, and another called Toohey's New. The Yak is a local brew AFAIK, and is a lot heavier then Toohey's, although I'm not sure of their levels of alcohol. Out of the two I would go for Toohey's.

Fat Yak Pale Ale is brewed by Matilda Bay (Fremantle), owned by Fosters. It isn't bad, not as strong as Creatures' Pale Ale so more appealing to Lager drinkers/can drink more in a session.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Inbev too big to fail? They control 70% of the beer market, and when they don't deliver, bars run out of beer...

Apparently the Belgian beer supplies are dwindling fast due to an already 4 day (?) strike from Inbev employees.

Het Nieuwsblad

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
brewerjeff said:
. I imagine getting some supplies could be a challenge.

No there is a Home Brew Mart just 40 miles from me. Can the drug dogs tell the difference between pot and hops? they smell the same to me. Would hate that hassle. Of course being accused of trying to smuggle drugs INTO Mexico might be a first:)

A

Anonymous

CN Forum Beerfest at the Backabbey... Uh, sounds like a hangover coming on.

Reminds me of this past year at Paris-Roubaix. My wife and I are there hours before the race goes through (Camphin en Pevel) drinking beer with the locals. One fine young Belgian asks me what time the race was to come through and I told him "in a few hours."

He replies, "oh, that's terrible, I'm going to miss it."

"Why?", I ask.

He replied, "I'm going to be horribly drunk by then."

Sure enough, he was passed out in the ditch next to the pave when the race roared by. I love the Belgians.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
CN Forum Beerfest at the Backabbey... Uh, sounds like a hangover coming on.

Reminds me of this past year at Paris-Roubaix. My wife and I are there hours before the race goes through (Camphin en Pevel) drinking beer with the locals. One fine young Belgian asks me what time the race was to come through and I told him "in a few hours."

He replies, "oh, that's terrible, I'm going to miss it."

"Why?", I ask.

He replied, "I'm going to be horribly drunk by then."

Sure enough, he was passed out in the ditch next to the pave when the race roared by. I love the Belgians.

laugh.gif

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't drinking, and I don't know what the other person was drinking, but on Friday night I got some drunken text messages on phone from somebody on another forum I visit.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I wasn't drinking, and I don't know what the other person was drinking, but on Friday night I got some drunken text messages on phone from somebody on another forum I visit.

and did you answer to those messages?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I was at a gathering the other day and the host slapped a cold beer in my hand . Now the code says that you say thanks and have a drink with the guy. In this case the beer was a Rainier. I'd never tried one but knew it was a pretty weak and sketchy brand. I stuck to the code. For one sip, then excused myself under the guise of checking out his new deck and dumped the beer on the ground. Hard to describe how that beer tastes other than to say that somebody else had already consumed and passed it. My advice if this happens to you - screw the code.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Because on the 26th of this month I will be doing at least 260-270km, I think the night before I will go and buy myself a beer or two from the grog shop to keep in the fridge when I get home from my odyssey.