• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
gooner said:
I drank Guinness many times but I would still put it behind Beamish(my own drink) in the list of Irish stouts. It kind of has a more malt, coffee and chocalate taste to it. I was never a big fan of the other stout Murphys.

Alas, it's too bad I've never been to Ireland to taste any of those! Over here on the continent we have to make do with just Guinness I'm afraid. (I've been to England a few times, but I was still young and not really in a beer drinking company, so I had no chance to taste it there.)

But hey, I live in Belgium nowadays I haven't got anything to complain about regarding beer..... :p

There are actually some stouts over here as well, but it's a bit of a different style from the Irish ones. I quite like Guinness compared to Belgian and Dutch stouts (although there are some great ones over here as well), so if I ever have the opportunity I would definitely like to taste some more Irish style stouts. :D

ILovecycling said:
All those nederlands and belgique beers are pretty good also but today (and almost all days :D )...

I've been to Slovakia on a holiday a few weeks ago and I tasted some Czech and Slovak beers there and they were pretty good. I didn't really see any type other than Pilsner, but what I've tasted there is certainly better than most Belgian and Dutch pilsners and it's not certainly not worse than some of the better pilsners from over here. :)
Hi
as we really drink lot of beer here (mostly only pilsner type, people drink fruit *** beer over the summer recent years:p ) we really recognize even a slightest differences between pislner type of beer.
e.g. slovakian beer is a lot different than the czech one - taste wise, but looks and is prepared quite similair.
As you said about your Ned beers, I tasted a lot of them (there are two great belgian restaurants in Prague and they have some local nederlands and belgian beers) and I like them esp in late spring or summer,they are more 'light' than czech beers.OTOH I doubt any czech would say that he likes other beers better, cuz we are used to it, its very high quality (really :p ) and even those cheaper ones about 1 - 1,50 euro are comparable or better than other central european top beers (except germany), so its quite usual to drink 5 or more czech beers when sitting with friends.
Personally apart from our beers I like some german beer,nederlands and belgian (havent tried much irish or danish), and as for summer I like 3-4 labels of mexican 'light-with-lemon' beers but they are incomparable with europeans and esp german and czech ones but really good for hot weather unlike czech beers (really risky to drink them in this weather :D )

If you ever go to czech rep. again I can recommend you local small beer labels,because these are the best.So feel free to write me :)

Deschutes River Ale

Deschutes-River-Ale.jpg

Initially it tastes a bit foofy and flowery, but it has a nice clear kick to it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Chech beer. Smadny Mnich 'Thirsty Munk' :D
They pack it in plastic 1.5 liter bottles.

@Ilovecycling: afaict there isn't much local Dutch beer. We have two huge globalized brands (Heineken, Grolsch) and a handful of other beers, but not comparable at all to the hundreds of Belgian and German beer flavors. That said, I'm not much of a connoisseur tbh.

@tricycle rider: sounds good! tasteful descriptions. :D

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
gooner said:
I drank Guinness many times but I would still put it behind Beamish(my own drink) in the list of Irish stouts. It kind of has a more malt, coffee and chocalate taste to it. I was never a big fan of the other stout Murphys.

Alas, it's too bad I've never been to Ireland to taste any of those! Over here on the continent we have to make do with just Guinness I'm afraid. (I've been to England a few times, but I was still young and not really in a beer drinking company, so I had no chance to taste it there.)

But hey, I live in Belgium nowadays I haven't got anything to complain about regarding beer..... :p

There are actually some stouts over here as well, but it's a bit of a different style from the Irish ones. I quite like Guinness compared to Belgian and Dutch stouts (although there are some great ones over here as well), so if I ever have the opportunity I would definitely like to taste some more Irish style stouts. :D

ILovecycling said:
All those nederlands and belgique beers are pretty good also but today (and almost all days :D )...

I've been to Slovakia on a holiday a few weeks ago and I tasted some Czech and Slovak beers there and they were pretty good. I didn't really see any type other than Pilsner, but what I've tasted there is certainly better than most Belgian and Dutch pilsners and it's not certainly not worse than some of the better pilsners from over here. :)

If you ever go to czech rep. again I can recommend you local small beer labels,because these are the best.
Some of them are probably the best ones, as we are told by these days so uncomprehensibly popular food and drink shows, but other aren't really better than big brands. I think most people say the small, local beer labels are the best because the've heard it in tv and what's said in tv...well, that must be true. But stil they go on and drink the cheapes, or cheapest, because here even the cheapest lagers are good :)

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
@Ilovecycling: afaict there isn't much local Dutch beer. We have two huge globalized brands (Heineken, Grolsch) and a handful of other beers, but not comparable at all to the hundreds of Belgian and German beer flavors. That said, I'm not much of a connoisseur tbh.

Dutch beers tend to be in the same style as Belgian beers, just overall not as good. There are a couple of good breweries in the Netherlands though. Dutch breweries tend to be a bit eclectic though making beers from many different styles. IPA's are trending nowadays in the Netherlands (and to a lesser extent in Belgium). That's a good thing by the way because I like IPA's. :)

There is a brewery called 'Jopen' which has some very nice beers. They have a pretty decent stout and very good quadrupel (albeit with a very atypical taste) called 'ongelovige thomas' IIRC.
jopen-ogt-kleur.png

Furthermore, there is an amazing brewery on Texel. I can recommend any beer from them. Their brewery seems to be growing a bit, because when I first learned about them some years ago their beer was quite difficult to find outside of Texel, but in recent times I've seen it a couple of times in café's with a large beer selection and in some 'slijters' (is there an English equivalent for a slijter?!). Anyway, that's a good thing because their beer is amazing. :)

I think their most famous beer is a wheat beer, called 'Skuumkoppe'. It's more a German style wheat beer than a Belgian/Dutch one, but it's very nice. Dutch/Belgian wheat beers tend to use a lot of herbs for the flavour, whereas German wheat beers just use wheat instead of of barley without all sorts of extra ingredients.
skuumkoppe-fles-groot.png
skuumkoppe-glas.png

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm now drinking a St. Georgen Bräu Doppelbock
beer_143739.jpg

I'm not so used to German style beers. In fact I think this is the first time I'm drinking a doppelbock, so I don't have a whole lot of intelligent stuff to say about this. Quite malty and sweet. So far I like it though, not necessarily a very complex taste, but quite nice nevertheless (which conforms to my general impression of German beers btw). :)

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Am now drinking an Aldaris Porteris. A kind of stout from Latvia. It's a present from my sister who spent new year in Riga and Talinn. Apparently there is a separate style of stouts called "Baltic Porters", of which I now have the privilege to try a specimen.

PorterisBottleRasa2014.png

I didn't knew what to expect first. Heck, I didn't even know what a Porter was before I got this. I heard the word before, but apparently a Porter is basically the same as a stout. Obviously the colour is very dark, it being a stout. The smell is rather faint, so I didn't really know what to expect. The taste is quite malty and a bit sweet compared to the stouts I'm used too. It still tastes like a stout, but it's a bit sweeter than Irish, Dutch and Belgian stouts that I drank before. Not as dry as a Guinness or something.

I'm quite pleased with this though and I'd definitely try some more of this style of beer, or even this particular beer, if ever I had the chance. I'm not planning to visit the Baltic states anytime soon, so I don't think I'll be getting my hands on a Baltic porter in the near future. So I'm just gonna enjoy this one as long as it lasts now. :)

Anybody else ever tried a Baltic Porter before?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
My fist Wieselburger Schwarzbier.
dfbe1f23bd.png

I have to say that it's pretty good, but South Tyrolean beer is pretty bad, almost every single Austrian beer is better than the stuff that we produce. :D

So I've been thinking about a drinking game you could do while watching cycling. But I think its kinda hard to do practically and its kinda ridiculous. Basically, if riders on tv are doing a climb, you have to drink. If they do 5km at a certain gradient, you have to drink 200ml of a beer of that %. So basically, if the riders have to do the Col de Manse, you have to drink about 400ml of regular beer in the time they climb it. Could be extened to whole stages.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
So I've been thinking about a drinking game you could do while watching cycling. But I think its kinda hard to do practically and its kinda ridiculous. Basically, if riders on tv are doing a climb, you have to drink. If they do 5km at a certain gradient, you have to drink 200ml of a beer of that %. So basically, if the riders have to do the Col de Manse, you have to drink about 400ml of regular beer in the time they climb it. Could be extened to whole stages.
So only Doppelbock and Eisbock for the Vuelta? :D

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Your favourite beers

Enjoying a nice bottle of Fuller's ESB here... :cool: Which just happens to be my favourite beer.

FullersESB2.jpg

Stout, strong and an awesome finish. This beer has it all.

What beers do you particularly enjoy?