• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I almost had my lights punched out once for telling a bartender that he poured the Guinness wrong (he poured it like a Bud). This was a couple of years ago in a Caslno in Las Vegas. I usually don't make a fuss about this, but they were charging $8 a beer and I planned to have a few.
Anyway, I mongering why the classic Guinness our is sometimes so hard to come by. Doesn't Guinness have some kind of instruction?

Last night
Sixpoint Gorilla Warfare Porter

Substyle%20-%20Robust%20Porter.preview.jpg

Ithaca Ground Break Saison

images

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
flyor64 said:
I did!!!

You know what though, I did not like the Kasteel. At 11% ABV all I could taste was the alcohol and it had a "sweet" taste at that...drank it begrudgingly :rolleyes:

Try Karmeliet next time you're in the area. 15% but still tastes like beer, and a great one at that. (Edit: This is not the bottled Karmeliet Tripel. I'm not exactly sure what the full name was, I'm going by fuzzy memory from some bar in Lille...)

Quixote said:
I almost had my lights punched out once for telling a bartender that he poured the Guinness wrong (he poured it like a Bud). This was a couple of years ago in a Caslno in Las Vegas. I usually don't make a fuss about this, but they were charging $8 a beer and I planned to have a few.
Anyway, I mongering why the classic Guinness our is sometimes so hard to come by. Doesn't Guinness have some kind of instruction?

It's the same in most of the world. Some bartenders know how to pour 'em, many don't. :(Although most bartenders aren't that aggressive...)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
OK, I've tried the strong Belgians - Duvel, Chimay, Westmalle Triple and they all have what I can only describe as a 'tinniness'. The only Belgian I've found to my taste is Leffe, either Blonde or Brune. Does anybody else recognise this tinny aftertaste or is it just me? Any other suggestions given that men must drink beer when watching cobbles? :confused:

A

Anonymous

LugHugger said:
OK, I've tried the strong Belgians - Duvel, Chimay, Westmalle Triple and they all have what I can only describe as a 'tinniness'. The only Belgian I've found to my taste is Leffe, either Blonde or Brune. Does anybody else recognise this tinny aftertaste or is it just me? Any other suggestions given that men must drink beer when watching cobbles? :confused:

You are probably drinking those beers too cold and/or they have not been poured correctly and in the wrong glassware.

Additionally, you may want to gravitate more towards the Belgian strong ales, Dubbels and Quadruppels. They tend to be more sweet with the candied sugars and Big, Big Malty, ripe fruit flavors busting through.

Be sure to drink these beers around 55 degrees (F) or so. Too cold and you will not get the full body of the beer.

Lastly, be careful:D These are typically 7 to 10% or more ABV.

Try St. Bernardus Pater or Apt 12, Rochefort 8 or 10, Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue Label), Le Trappe Dubbel or Quad, or even something like Gulden Draak.

These beers are really, really good and are basically a prerequisite for the Northern Classics.:D

Scott SoCal said:
You are probably drinking those beers too cold and/or they have not been poured correctly and in the wrong glassware.

Additionally, you may want to gravitate more towards the Belgian strong ales, Dubbels and Quadruppels. They tend to be more sweet with the candied sugars and Big, Big Malty, ripe fruit flavors busting through.

Be sure to drink these beers around 55 degrees (F) or so. Too cold and you will not get the full body of the beer.

Try St. Bernardus Pater or Apt 12, Rochefort 8 or 10, Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue Label), Le Trappe Dubbel or Quad, or even something like Gulden Draak.

These beers are really, really good and are basically a prerequisite for the Northern Classics.:D

too cold. not good. listen to Scotty.;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

Scott, thanks for the advice. I'd generally gravitate to the hoppy/malty side rather than sweeter and enjoy dark beers. Do you or anybody else have any Belgians that you would recommend that aren't too strong ie less than 8%?

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
Scott, thanks for the advice. I'd generally gravitate to the hoppy/malty side rather than sweeter and enjoy dark beers. Do you or anybody else have any Belgians that you would recommend that aren't too strong ie less than 8%?

Have you tried any Saisons? That style tends to be fairly hoppy, and below 8%. Here are a couple I've enjoyed (both are much more mellow compared to Tripels):

http://www.brasserie-dupont.com/dupont/en/6967-saison-dupont.html

http://www.st-feuillien.com/SaisonENG.php

A

Anonymous

Bag_O_Wallet said:
Have you tried any Saisons? That style tends to be fairly hoppy, and below 8%. Here are a couple I've enjoyed (both are much more mellow compared to Tripels):

http://www.brasserie-dupont.com/dupont/en/6967-saison-dupont.html

http://www.st-feuillien.com/SaisonENG.php

Nailed it.

@LugHugger

Many of the Belgian farmhouse ales are fantastic. Dupont Saison is readily available in SoCal (don't know about your locale). Moinette Blond might be something for you to try and Fantome Saison would be another you might like.

A

Anonymous

So, De Struise Brouwers has a store in Bruges. Off the shelf you can buy Pannepot and some other absolute stellar beers from as far back as 2008.

I fell in love with a couple different versions of Black Albert...

060110%20054.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Don't be surprised when you see, in the very near future, many high end American craft beers in a can.

I am not complaining :D this one is nice, smells like a porter, but tastes surprisingly (given the darkness in the glass, it's as dark as cola, and the smell) like an ipa (which it says it is). Not too hoppy and no discernible bitter after taste. I am more of a pilsner drinker and some ipas are a little too herbal or floral for my liking. This one tastes great.

Why the 'return' to the can?

A

Anonymous

usedtobefast said:
it does keep better. like screw top wine.

oh and Scott did you do the trip to Belgium?

Yep. Fifth year. Best ever.

Go figure, a great bike race in the middle of beer Mecca. Heaven on earth.

TRENDING THREADS