• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What do you think of the Dr Maserati permaban?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Dr. Maserati have been permabanned?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
So a permanent ban is, in essence, a ban that lasts until you ask for it to be lifted. Doesn't seem all that sensible. Why not just call it an indefinite ban if you are leaving the door open? But at least it provides some possible remedy for group overreaction.

pedaling squares said:
So a permanent ban is, in essence, a ban that lasts until you ask for it to be lifted. Doesn't seem all that sensible. Why not just call it an indefinite ban if you are leaving the door open? But at least it provides some possible remedy for group overreaction.

I think it's supposed to be 'until you ask for it to be lifted and agree to follow the rules.'

As for the overreaction; agree there! Come on everybody, just let it go!*

*Singing optional.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

It's a little more complicated then
banned member: "can I come back?"
Mods: "sure."

The banned member would need to express that they understand the reasons for their ban, are sorry for them, and agrees to not make the same mistakes/follow the rules.

As opposed to what some might think, we (the mods) are not unreasonable. We're always willing to cooperate with members in order to come to a just and reasonable solution to problems and situations.

(Speaking in general here, not specifically about the Dr. Mas situation)

PeterB said:
...This is how I read it:

The post seems to carry two messages:
1. The poster wishes that the specific mod does not moderate his posts. He also hints that reason for this wish is some previous occurrence, on which he felt he wasn't treated fairly. Note that the poster does not demand not to be subject to moderation at all, he just asks not to be moderated by this specific mod.

2. In his second message, the poster reserves the right to seek justice (to the extent of his opinion) at the mod's supervisor....

3. Irrespective of the decision on point 1., a temporary ban should probably be handed, but not for the content of the post, but more for its tone (as the same message could have been communicated in much more friendly way)

Of course this is not real life but internet forum. This place does not belong to the members. The management of the site and mods (via authority granted to them by the management) have right to decide, whether they want a particular member to stay being a member, or whether they want to end his/her membership.....

Very reasonable post PeterB. I have bolded and coloured a couple of pertinent point.

Unfortunately DrMas did not only demand to not be moderated by Berzin, he demanded to not be moderated at all...an issue that has raised its head (several times I believe) in the past.

He then threatened all the mods with getting "Netserked", which for want of a better description means getting sacked (I will point out that Netserk actually asked to be relinquished of his position).

And finally it was Dan himself...along with Susan...who immediately asked that DrMas be permanently banned. Judges decision being final in your parlance. And just to clarify, Berzin had nothing to do with the decision or act of banning DrMas.

Dr. Maserati:
And if you attempt another stunt like you did last week with me, or anyone else - I will go straight to Dan, with all the screen grabs and other information about what you do, (and what you don't do) - and I will make sure you are Netserked.

(And if any other mod interferes with this post they will suffer the same fate)

Anyway the door is open to Dr. Maserati. There are several examples of members being reinstated for one reason or another, including "eLazarus" ;) Perhaps if DrMas enters that open door he will come back an even better poster than before after learning from past mistakes.

sittingbison said:
Very reasonable post PeterB. I have bolded and coloured a couple of pertinent point.

Unfortunately DrMas did not only demand to not be moderated by Berzin, he demanded to not be moderated at all...an issue that has raised its head (several times I believe) in the past.

He then threatened all the mods with getting "Netserked", which for want of a better description means getting sacked (I will point out that Netserk actually asked to be relinquished of his position).

And finally it was Dan himself...along with Susan...who immediately asked that DrMas be permanently banned. Judges decision being final in your parlance. And just to clarify, Berzin had nothing to do with the decision or act of banning DrMas.

Anyway the door is open to Dr. Maserati. There are several examples of members being reinstated for one reason or another, including "eLazarus" ;) Perhaps if DrMas enters that open door he will come back an even better poster than before after learning from past mistakes.

The Maserati ban bothers me much less than the circumstances that precipitated his (unacceptable) behavior.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
sittingbison said:

No he did not.

He then threatened all the mods with getting "Netserked", which for want of a better description means getting sacked

So what? If what Mas alleges is true then the mod should be sacked. If not, then moderate the post. Good grief.

Anyway the door is open to Dr. Maserati.

Personally I'd be extremely disappointed to see him beg to come back here. Why should he?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Very successful and well known poster tries to intimidate officials.
backfires and gets lifetime ban.

Over reaction
Witch hunt
Everyone else was doing naughty things
Done lots of good for the forum
Fellow posters fail to condemn

hmmm

Have to say, it wasn't sensible suggesting that Berzin take the matter to DB.

I shall miss Dr M

don't mind if he is allowed to come back but if DB wants to make a point; fair enough

I think the problem for most people is that Dr Mas acted the way he did because, he believes, someone with elevate powers was purposefully interfering with his posts to bait him into reacting, which people think is clear misuse of a mods powers. Whether Berzin was involved in the ban is immaterial at that point. I didn't see what happened so I'm not sure if this is the case, but I'm guessing the mods don't agree with him and feel the edits etc. were justified.

Sound about right?

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
I think the problem for most people is that Dr Mas acted the way he did because, he believes, someone with elevate powers was purposefully interfering with his posts to bait him into reacting, which people think is clear misuse of a mods powers. Whether Berzin was involved in the ban is immaterial at that point. I didn't see what happened so I'm not sure if this is the case, but I'm guessing the mods don't agree with him and feel the edits etc. were justified.

Sound about right?

Funny part is Mas and a handful of others here are directly responsible for at least some of the front page content at this website.

If what SB says is true... That Mas was run off by Dan himself then that's not only unfortunate but makes one wonder why the suits would discourage occasional sources of news to this site that is absolutely free of charge.

I don't get it but I'm sure it makes sense to somebody.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
You guys are all so full of yourselves, no one is innocent. I wish that I would be perma-banned just so I insure that I never get involved with any of the asinine exchanges of electrons that permeate this place. This forum is almost as bad as the group of people that live in their mom's basement and play GTA 5 until they poop themselves.

Tear yourself away from your electron exchanging device and for the love of God, go for a ride

Foghorn Leghorn said:
You guys are all so full of yourselves, no one is innocent. I wish that I would be perma-banned just so I insure that I never get involved with any of the asinine exchanges of electrons that permeate this place. This forum is almost as bad as the group of people that live in their mom's basement and play GTA 5 until they poop themselves.

Tear yourself away from your electron exchanging device and for the love of God, go for a ride

Your 10-post posting record consists almost entirely of you insulting the forum and it's members. I don't think anyone's going to be too upset if you get your wish.

!

Scott SoCal said:
Funny part is Mas and a handful of others here are directly responsible for at least some of the front page content at this website.

I don't get it but I'm sure it makes sense to somebody.

i don't get it either...............surely dan googles info for cn front page content.........

just like other forum members

Mark L

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
You don't think it is OK for a MOD to stalk and bait a poster and then ban them when they get the reaction they were asking for? Come on that is just normal moderator behavior.

Only in this place.

TRENDING THREADS