• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What do you think should be done about stage 16?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What would you do about stage 16?

• Other (say below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was told to keep it here

My standings:
I have my own standings, giving a 90 second penalty to Quintana, Rolland, Hesjedal in the top 20, for no particular reason

1. Quintana 73:07:01
2. Uran +0:11
3. Evans +1:51
4. Majka +1:58 (+1)
5. Aru +2:04 (+1)
6. Pozzovivo +2:19 (+1)
7. Kelderman +2:36 (+1)

8. Rolland +3:26 (-4)
9. Hesjedal +4:16
10 Kerslovski +6:32
11 Vuillermoz +12:50
12 Geniez +16:10
13 Basso +20:58
14 Monfort +21:05
15 Rabottini +22:44
16 Dupont +25:07
17 Pellizotti +27:00
18 Cunego +32:17
19 Rogers +33:30
20 Herrada +37:34

cineteq said:
Keep results 'as is' is not fair at all, since it wasn't the riders' fault the ambiguous communication relayed by RCS to the teams.

It is too late now Cineteq.

I would focus on the race now. See if actually Quintana is stronger than the other GC contenders.

Now the problem is if Roland and Hesjedal take the other podium spots.

Escarabajo said:
It is too late now Cineteq.

I would focus on the race now. See if actually Quintana is stronger than the other GC contenders.

Now the problem is if Roland and Hesjedal take the other podium spots.
Maybe too late. But taking 2 min. out of his time was the fairest thing to do.

And yes, Quintana is stronger than anybody else anyway. :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
sir fly said:
The stage should be repeated!

This, lets see some more epic racing. :D And Quintana would win by 5 minutes this time waiting to attack until the final climb.

Seriously speaking, it's too late to do anything at this point. Just move on with the race. The other guys can try to the best of their ability to take back the time they lost to Quintana. The was that Quintana climbed that stage I'm confident that he will show over the coming stages that he would have taken that time anyways.

LOL my viewpoint moved as more and more info came out.
1-Epic ride, shame there was a polemic and that left a bad taste
2-Epic ride, shame there is still so much controversy it isn't about the ride anymore.
3-Post RCS announcement that the the translation of the message from Italian had been such that 20 teams got it wrong. My reaction: take away the damn rider radios and let them ride.
4-Post Marco Velo quotes: Oh my, bad Nairo and anyone that went past the red flag. Some measures of recompense should be instituted.
5-Post ALL teams including the ones that benefited deciding a time deduction should occur: I agree seems sensible and all the teams are in agreement, let's do that. Hence this is what I voted for.
6-Now: RCS and UCI are d*ckheads for keeping it going when ALL the teams agreed on a sensible solution!

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Once the organisers came to the conclusion that the descent of the Stelvio was in their opinion dangerous they should have announced that the finish line would be the top of the Stelvio.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Those guys, and their teams, are now targets. People are ****ed. The Giro has a long history of teams ganging up on a rider/team they don't like.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
There is no such thing as team 'Columbia', so I'm afraid it's impossible to DQ them ;)
Agreed, poor effort on my part, my sincere apologies.

What should be done?

All those involved should get a medal for showing they want to race and not hide in the bunch untill the last climb. Especially Hesjedal. And I dont even like the dude. How bout that.

Really, why neuter a race? Was Andy involved? No? So move on.
Race Radio said:
Those guys, and their teams, are now targets. People are ****ed. The Giro has a long history of teams ganging up on a rider/team they don't like.
Yeah, Movistar are really afraid now...

Which Italian teams exactly? The times of Moser are long gone Race...

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Agreed, poor effort on my part, my sincere apologies.

What should be done?

All those involved should get a medal for showing they want to race and not hide in the bunch untill the last climb. Especially Hesjedal. And I dont even like the dude. How bout that.

Really, why neuter a race? Was Andy involved? No? So move on.Yeah, Movistar are really afraid now...

Which Italian teams exactly? The times of Moser are long gone Race...
+1.

LOL. No more helicopters for the Italians!!

And cancellation of mountain stages.

Once they start racing again every GC rider will look after their interests.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Race Radio said:

And suddenly the reason Movistar also would have agreed to taking away the 2 minutes that their man gained becomes clear.

"We know the race jury won't do anything, but we'll say we would agree with 2 minutes being taken away anyway. That they can't gang up on us, we agreed with them." :D

Escarabajo said:
Of course now is too late. I agree with you with keep as it is. Maybe the title should have been" What would you have done".

+1000 exactly my thoughts

christopherrowe said:
Oh, no, I don't think they're equally likely to be overturned at all. I'm merely stating that it's my interpretation of the rules as written that such an outcome would be supported by said rules (as written). The likelihood of such occurring, especially on a Grand Tour, seems vanishingly small. I point it out simply as part of larger projects: (1) I'd like people to look at this particular incident in the light of the UCI rules as they are written and enforced (or not enforced), and (2) I'd like to see community agitation for rules reform in the service of increasing rider safety, decreasing human errors of judgement on the parts of organizers and commissaires, and increasing sporting excitement.

fair enough- I do too hope not to witness an incident of this caliber ever again-specially for the sake of the riders- the Organizers can always walk away from it with PR & excuses whilst the riders being the main protagonists will be marked/labeled by unfair judgement & prejudice produced by the incident.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Why don't they gang up on the organizers!!!

Or the UCI. They did not accept the team suggestions!
Race Radio ‏@TheRaceRadio 56 min.

Most of the Peloton is angry with the 3 riders who gained time on the descent yesterday. Expect fireworks on the road the next 3 days.

Question should be: which teams are able to make havoc in la Corsa? Answer? Garmin - Europcar - Albarca.

Question answered.

del1962 said:
then passing a red flag motor can also allow the organisers to give out a time penalty surely.

There is (apparently) nothing in the rulebook about what a motor bike with a red flag means. This isn't Formula 1, where btw a red flag means stop or return to pit.

There can't be new rules and penalties introduced during the race.

If the statement from the organization is correct (basically that the flags were there to help with visibility) they should have used the standard yellow flags that they use at traffic islands and roundabouts.

On the other hand, if the red flags has no purpose - why did they have red flags ready on top of the Stelvio at all?

cineteq said:
Keep results 'as is' is not fair at all, since it wasn't the riders' fault the ambiguous communication relayed by RCS to the teams.

But it wasn't the riders' in front fault's either, so from that viewpoint it isn't fair to penalize those riders either.

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Will the effect just be for the current Giro? I wouldn't really be surprised if this will hold effects for the next few years, where certain riders will ride against Q (especially in GTs), rather than for themselves.

I also agree that this topic title should've been something like 'should have been done about', not 'should be done'.

Sorry for duplicate post, but . . .
Here's an ironic twist: Uran's account of the situation atop the Stelvio indicates that HE was one of the riders who didn't follow directions:

"On the Stelvio I heard from Davide Bramati that the downhill will be controlled by motos with a red flag for the safety of the riders, and that we could have maintained our position on the descent without attacking," Urán said."

"He told me to put on my rain jacket and pay attention in any case. At 300 or 400 meters I had my jacket from one of our masseurs. I managed to wear my jacket before the top so at that point I didn't stop at the top like a few of my colleagues did. I THEN STARTED DESCENDING, BUT I DIDN'T SEE ANY MOTORBIKE"

Just goes to show how ridiculous and convoluted the post-race protests have become: Uran failed to follow the directions to follow a motorbike with the red flag; he simply headed down.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Gaul 58 said:
Once the organisers came to the conclusion that the descent of the Stelvio was in their opinion dangerous they should have announced that the finish line would be the top of the Stelvio.

Never going to happen when you have $1000 per seat premium reception area at the finish line.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I voted to keep as is. Until the organisers have a robust set of rules, procedures and methods of conveying them, then the responsibilty of stage 16 rests with the organisers and not the participants.

When nullifying the downhill was considered they should let every team know so no one would attack unless they wanted the mountain points. Then as the first guy hits the top they then put on a safety car as they do in F1 just at the front of the race. If laggards catch back up then so be it.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, no course of action would be fair to all at this point in time. Giving penalty time would penalize the energy expended by the three, particularly that of Hesjedal and Rolland, both who were out of their element on the final climb, giving it all they got just to wheelsuck.

It is a sad situation for Quitana as he will forever be branded in negative light. Perhaps minimized if he tows competing team riders to the line and gifts stages to them, much to the like of what Contador used to do.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
BorIeX9IUAAbZHX.jpg

From twitter ...

@l_guercilena: Marco Velo, driver of Safety Moto "my red flag was up, Quintana passed me!" pic.twitter.com/ujDJIlkvha #giro

"my red flag was up quintana signalled to us on more than one ocassion to accelerate then he passed us and took off"

TRENDING THREADS