• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What Happens Next?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now that we are this far into the pit, gotta say I'd be both surprised and disappointed if no civil cases came out of this. Surely Lance will become toxic enough to not be protected to a similar extent as he was before? Hope Novitzky gets to finish off what he started, somehow.

If not, then it's a joke really, just like the Birotte thing.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
One thing that should really happen next is a big apology to the LNDD, the AFLD, Patrice Clerc and 'The French' in general from all those who happily went along with the way Armstrong fed and exploited anti-French xenophobia, especially in the USA.

We had a situation where the French had made doping a criminal offence; the ASO had tried to exclude riders like Virenque and dodgy teams like Astana from the Tour (only the have the UCI rap their knuckles); the AFLD was looking to do more testing, even considering on the line tests (killed off by the UCI in preparation for Armstrong's comeback) and most of their home riders had been scared into riding clean, or at least cleaner than most of the rest of the peloton, and as such had to accept they were always going to be also-rans. Even the ASO under Clerc seemed determined for a while to clean up the sport, that is until Clerc was sacked after the interventions of Armstrong / McQuaid.

Meanwhile the ASO and the French public in general had to look on as Armstrong and his team mates pissed in the face of the Tour year after year, despite being pretty much certain that he was doping, whilst they were attacked every time they pointed to the truth and no opportunity was lost to "rub... Gallic nose into the pavement again, always a trusty pleasure" as the Texas Monthly put it. ('Lance Armstrong Has Something to Get Off His Chest', July 2001.)

Many of these attacks were most unsavoury, going way beyond the 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys' nonsense that the Brits like to engage in. (Whilst, of course, forgetting that the biggest ever example of people 'running away' from the onslaught of Hitler's armies that occurred in WW2 was provided by the Brits at Dunkerque!)

I note that even Cheryl Crow found this part of Armstrong's tactics distasteful saying:

I don't think the French people are on a mission to strip him of his integrity. It's just a handful of people pursuing that theory, and it's tiresome and a nuisance, and it will eventually end, I hope.

Imagine the fury in the USA if it had been shown that the world baseball league had been dominated for year by a bunch of Cubans, who humiliated the home teams, only for it to be shown they did so by taking doping to new extremes. In comparison all this seems to have raised little more than a 'Gallic shrug' in France.

It's not just individuals like Walsh, Kimmage and Lemond who deserve an apology.

P.s. I am myself a Brit, not French!

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
burning said:
Eagerly waiting for Lance's statement, wonder what will he say about everything

He'll probably tell some lies

Nah, he is the victim of a conspiracy on the part of people who are "pissed that some effeminate Frenchman didn’t win" and "represents American exceptionalism". :rolleyes:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...-de-france-titles-banned-from-sport-for-life/

lance-armstrong_628x434.jpg

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Robert21 said:
One thing that should really happen next is a big apology to the LNDD, the AFLD, Patrice Clerc and 'The French' in general

Agreed. Obama/Clinton have a few phone calls to make today. Worth checking what the French media coverage is like.

Robert21 said:
One thing that should really happen next is a big apology to the LNDD, the AFLD, Patrice Clerc and 'The French' in general from all those who happily went along with the way Armstrong fed and exploited anti-French xenophobia, especially in the USA.

We had a situation where the French had made doping a criminal offence; the ASO had tried to exclude riders like Virenque and dodgy teams like Astana from the Tour (only the have the UCI rap their knuckles); the AFLD was looking to do more testing, even considering on the line tests (killed off by the UCI in preparation for Armstrong's comeback) and most of their home riders had been scared into riding clean, or at least cleaner than most of the rest of the peloton, and as such had to accept they were always going to be also-rans. Even the ASO under Clerc seemed determined for a while to clean up the sport, that is until Clerc was sacked after the interventions of Armstrong / McQuaid.

Meanwhile the ASO and the French public in general had to look on as Armstrong and his team mates pissed in the face of the the Tour year after year, despite being pretty much certain that he was doping, whilst they were attacked every time they pointed to the truth and no opportunity was lost to "rub... Gallic nose into the pavement again, always a trusty pleasure" as the Texas Monthly put it. ('Lance Armstrong Has Something to Get Off His Chest', July 2001

Much of these attacks were most unsavoury, going way beyond the 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys' nonsense that the Brits like to engage in. (Whilst, of course, forgetting that the biggest ever example of people 'running away' from the onslaught of Hitler's armies that occurred in WW2 was provided by the Brits at Dunkerque!).

I note that even Cheryl Crow found this part of Armstrong's tactics distasteful saying:

Imagine the fury in the USA if it had been shown that the world baseball league had been dominated for year by a bunch of Cubans, who humiliated the home teams, only for it to be shown they did so by taking doping to new extremes. In comparison all this seems to have raised little more than a 'Gallic shrug' in France.

It's not just individuals like Walsh, Kimmage and Lemond who deserve an apology.

Well put, although I don't think ASO should be viewed with such integrity. They profited handsomely by the Armstrong "phenomenon," which transformed the Tour, ever the biggest global cycling event, into a colossal business enterprise of gargantuan proportions that significantly exceeded even its mammoth past.

Then having milked the cash cow for all it was worth, the moment LA retired (the first time) Jean-Marie Leblanc comes out with something to the effect: "We have come to the end of an era, from which it is best to move on." This seems hypocritical.

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
What about Carmichael?

In all the coverage of this issue I haven't seen much about Chris Carmichael and how he is implicated or not in the Lance/Postal saga. I know he says that he is a seeing is believing guy and he saw nothing, but for someone who studied performance and power and all the associated metrics did he never even muse that something might be going on?

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
GWAR79 said:
What happens next is that the rest of the world's doping agencies need to buck up and do their job as well as the USADA does

What? For them to be kicked in the nuts like the French authorities were over so many years, and not just in regards to Armstrong? Recall the hoo-ha about Landis' positive, 'Let Levi ride' and all the rest.

What really needs to happen is for ordinary people to stop being blinded by nationalistic allegiances, to look past the rabble-rousing and flag-waving and take an objective view. This just might embolden the various authorities to do 'what is right' more often. Unfortunately, I see no sigh of this happening with regards the supporters of the team that is currently dominant in the Tour...

As the French say "Plus le change plus la meme chose".

P.s. Good on USADA for the action they have taken. If only they could have been more proactive when Armstrong's Epo use was first brought to light. Still, better late than never I suppose.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
rhubroma said:
I don't think ASO should be viewed with such integrity. They profited handsomely by the Armstrong "phenomenon," which transformed the Tour, ever the biggest global cycling event, into a colossal business enterprise of gargantuan proportions that significantly exceeded even its mammoth past.

Then having milked the cash cow for all it was worth, the moment LA retired (the first time) Jean-Marie Leblanc comes out with something to the effect: "We have come to the end of an era, from which it is best to move on." This seems hypocritical.

I agree that the ASO threw away their integrity when the sacked Patrice Clerc. However, I am certain that the supposed commercial benefit of having Armstrong dominate the Tour is just another part of the 'Armstrong myth'.

If Armstrong hadn't won others would have, carrying their own commercial value, and in any case the value of the American TV rights and so forth for the Tour were always small beer. The Outdoor Life network only paid 3 million Dollars for the TV broadcast rights to the Tour across the whole of the US!

Even at the height of Armstrong's reign French domestic viewers accounted for by far the biggest single audience and together France, Germany and Spain account for approaching 70% of the global viewing market for the Tour. Viewing figures for American channels like Versus / OLN were always surprisingly small given the size of the USA and the dominance of 'home boy' Armstrong, and I am sure that the true commercial worth of the Tour outside France reflected this.

To look at things another way, in France 3.8 million French people watched the Tour in 2005, or about 16% of the total population. The viewing figures for the USA were around 600,000 viewers in total. Given that the US has a population of around 310 million this means that only about 0.19% of the American population bothered to sit down to watch Armstrong dope his way to his seventh Tour 'win'. This was the peak year for Tour viewing in the US and in the earlier years of Armstrong's reign the figures were much smaller, fewer than 100,000 viewers in total in the early years, or about 0.03% of the total population.

Armstrong's era did not change the fact the true commercial value of the Tour is set firmly in Europe.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Robert21 said:

Meanwhile the ASO and the French public in general had to look on as Armstrong and his team mates pissed in the face of the Tour year after year, despite being pretty much certain that he was doping, whilst they were attacked every time they pointed to the truth and no opportunity was lost to "rub... Gallic nose into the pavement again, always a trusty pleasure" as the Texas Monthly put it. ('Lance Armstrong Has Something to Get Off His Chest', July 2001.)

Many of these attacks were most unsavoury, going way beyond the 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys' nonsense that the Brits like to engage in. (Whilst, of course, forgetting that the biggest ever example of people 'running away' from the onslaught of Hitler's armies that occurred in WW2 was provided by the Brits at Dunkerque!)

WW2 WTF.Shoot off at a tangent why don't you.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
simo1733 said:
WW2 WTF.Shoot off at a tangent why don't you.

A tangent? How so when so many have attacked 'The French' for speaking the truth about Armstrong over the years by calling them 'Cheese-eating surrender monkeys'. When such a phrase is used as an insult discussing its provenance seems to be entirely reasonable to me. Two examples highlighting its common usage:

Lance Armstrong decision greeted with sadness in France

The animosity towards the seven-time Tour winner was always overstated in a country where a president was his biggest fan

The French were always more sceptical of the Armstrong myth than the Americans, who lapped up the notion of the star cyclist with a seemingly impossible personal saga of cancer survival, and winning the Tour de France an unprecedented seven times. Armstrong's peak of fame coincided with the years of French-US friction over the Iraq war and the era of the "cheese-eating surrender monkey". He himself seemed to play up the notion that the French public resented an American triumphing in the country's biggest sporting event.

But if in reality the French sporting public bore him little rancour, France's razor-sharp sporting press was on his case. It was the top-selling French sports-paper l'Equipe that first published stories linking Armstrong to performance-enhancing drugs, and the book LA Confidentiel that linked the cyclist to doping was only published in French.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/24/lance-armstrong-sadness-france-tour

Armstrong crossed the Atlantic and showed the French and all the other cheese-eating surrender monkeys of Europe how to ride a bike up and down a few mountains.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/aug/25/america-lance-armstrong

Plus thousands of rather more cutting comments across the web using the same phrase.

Bottom line is Armstrong fed and exploited such attitudes and all who took part should be ashamed of themselves, especially McQuaid who was never slow to 'bash the French' in support of Armstrong.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
A new professional cycling organization displaces the UCI, run by a number of former UCI executives.

Vince Foster time for Armstrong with a full confession penned by Sally Jenkins and mailed to l'Equipe.

Big book and movie deals about the tragic hero's life fund another two decades of cancer hysteria.

The Earth continues to rotate about its axis.

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
IT´s October 29th that we will see what is going tto happen in ther future ! I hope Chris Prudhomme has the guts to declare that all results from 1990 forward are " Suspect " and thus end speculation !

In declaring the " Le Tour " 100th edition , he has the opportunity to change the " rules " and declare that ONLY those RACERS that have gone before a " Truth & Reconciliation panel will be allowed to participate ! He will be able to demand that their Teams´ personnel ONLY include staff that also have gone before this panel .

Do you think that he can do this ? Has he the backbone ?

My comment elsewhere follows and my blogs state what i would like to see for the future of Cycling :

Glad to see that some people such as Emma & Betty have been vindicated for their FORTITUDE in standing up to the BULLYING they were subjected !

Like Steve Tilford , i say B*LLSH'T to those that " confessed " in the past days !

Those of you taking the SIX Months have NO Credibility !

ONLY Joining together and demanding that Jacques Rogge IMMEDIATELY calls an " AMNESTY IN ALL SPORTS " could you win any redemption !

FOR SPORT the ONLY way forward is to clean the " decks" , ONCE AND FOR ALL !

Jacque Rogge needs to TODAY , write to ALL Heads of Government that participate in Olympic Events and give them 7 days to arrange their Legal processes so that " Double Jeapardy " will not occur when their Nations Athletes ( Past & Present ) step forward to accept their responsibility for previous misdeeds as DOPERS !

Having obtained cooperation he should implement a 2 stage process :

Firstly , call on ALL Athletes , past & present , to declare their status and past behaviours relating to Doping before the DEADLINE , on missing that date they will be subject to " LIFE TIME BANS " from ALL & every Sporting related employment or activity .

Second Tier will require those who worked with ATHLETES that did not volunteer their past behaviours , to step forward with that information by a date deadline ! Those that do not do so , will be treated as fully aware of the risks and thus ALSO subject to " LIFE TIME BAN "!

Jacques Rogge needs to demand ANY & ALL " IOC Delegates " involved with WADA / UCI to stand down whilst their past associations are investigated by an Organisation such as " Interpol "! Innocent until proven Guilty is the watch word but USADA has provided enough evidence for Jacques Rogge and John Fahey of WADA to demand compliance with this precautionary action .

Note that i do not need to hide behind fictious " IP names "!

Support the Petition that you people started and help fund " Paul Kimmage " in taking down those that try to attack FREE SPEECH !

What happens next?

A few old riders are kicked out or upstairs. The UCI actively sweeps doping under the carpet, the media actively helps with this by not asking tough questions and attacking whistleblowers. The next great white hope arrives, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and we carry on as before.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
What (I hope) happens next?

Media coverage is building, and will soon move beyond Lance to UCI. Next 21 days are critical. If UCI decides to take this to CAS it will become a mess for them.

Tinman said:
Pages 157-163 are very damaging for Pat & Hein. I cannot see them survive this. Jacques Rogge must pressure for resignations. If not this will become a huge public spectacle that will affect all sports administrations and ultimately IOC.

Most likely scenario, UCI will rubber stamp, Pat & Hein will be found new roles in cycling sports promotion, UCI will get new management and there will be a T&R. And doping control will mostly move outside UCI.

...the IOC to review cycling's involvement in the Olympics.

This is so broad (even I am amazed), all results from the last decade are effectively nullified. Until the sport can prove it has cleaned up, and that results are reliable, there isn't much choice but to suspend it.

Dave.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
...the IOC to review cycling's involvement in the Olympics.

This is so broad (even I am amazed), all results from the last decade are effectively nullified. Until the sport can prove it has cleaned up, and that results are reliable, there isn't much choice but to suspend it.

Dave.

the IOC to pressure Pat to rubber stamp immediately, before it transcends into other sports administrations. And then get both Pat & Hein a cushy job in sports ($$$) promotions somewhere, with a new UCI leadership doing a T&R... That will settle the public and the media for a while...

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Heavy duty questioning on P.M. on Radio four now, it is being trailered as "how widespread is doping in the peloton"http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_four

Apogolies beforehand if you is in an donated by Shammy Grivill or the Poorly party conference!!

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9:10062409:133:11-10-2012:

RTE radio 1:01:40 starting with sports news and then straight into David Walsh on Pat (plank) Kenny's show up to 1:15:20 and the last Quack Pat made is unavailable as he is a slow reader

1:16:55 he reads out an email and demonstrates why we calkl him Pat the Plank!!

Brailsfords on BBC R4 shortly, silly ******s trailered it on the 5-6 news and put it on 6-6:30 news, different program!!

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
ManInFull said:
What I really want to know is when does Lance do the 60 Minutes or ESPN interview?

Armstrong is only going to trot his lawyer out to do the tv circuit along with spokespeople from Livestrong. That's his M.O. Now.