• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What has happened to vladimir karpets?

I was going to post this in the regular road racing section, but figured it could take a turn towards the clinic so I posted it here instead.

I just noticed karpets finished 12th in the russian time trial championship, which upon further research is actually his best individual result in the past two years. This is a guy who has finished in the top 15 of two giros, two tours, and three vueltas, and also won the tour de suisse and catalunya in 2007. And yet now he's more well-known for his mullet and being near alberto's crash in the tour a few years back.

So is it as simple as he was doping and now he's not? Or are there other explanations?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
I was going to post this in the regular road racing section, but figured it could take a turn towards the clinic so I posted it here instead.

I just noticed karpets finished 12th in the russian time trial championship, which upon further research is actually his best individual result in the past two years. This is a guy who has finished in the top 15 of two giros, two tours, and three vueltas, and also won the tour de suisse and catalunya in 2007. And yet now he's more well-known for his mullet and being near alberto's crash in the tour a few years back.

So is it as simple as he was doping and now he's not? Or are there other explanations?

Delilah cut his mullet?

His doping in the early years must have been off the charts. So even when he looked like a future GT winner he had no improvement left. When he was doing some OK performances in say the 2010 Giro he was probably still doping, but less, although that is the same for pretty much anyone.

I can only guess that he is now, for all intents and purposes, clean. Will he get another pro contract or this will be it for him. It makes you wonder if he's gone down the Popovych (whose career had a few similarities) of staying clean personally whilst helping others dope.

As you say, the doping explanation is far too simple. He could have always been clean, but you'd have to be reasonably creative. I for one miss seeing his flowing locks and massive gear in the occasional ITT (these days he starts before the cameras roll).

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
His doping in the early years must have been off the charts. So even when he looked like a future GT winner he had no improvement left. When he was doing some OK performances in say the 2010 Giro he was probably still doping, but less, although that is the same for pretty much anyone.

I can only guess that he is now, for all intents and purposes, clean. Will he get another pro contract or this will be it for him. It makes you wonder if he's gone down the Popovych (whose career had a few similarities) of staying clean personally whilst helping others dope.

As you say, the doping explanation is far too simple. He could have always been clean, but you'd have to be reasonably creative. I for one miss seeing his flowing locks and massive gear in the occasional ITT (these days he starts before the cameras roll).

I also enjoyed the hip check he delivered to Contador in the TdF a few years ago. That was epic.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
freud describes something called the samson complex.

when a mullet'ed man gets his hair chopped, he becomes emasculated and impotent

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
How rotten this sport must be if you used to dope and win, and now forced to be somewhat clean and act as pack fill. How do you keep the fire going to train and suffer?
hot rocks. they maintain heat

TdF '07, Stage 19 ITT (56km), result:

1 LEIPHEIMER Levi Discovery Channel PT 100 -
2 EVANS Cadel Predictor - Lotto 70 ,,
3 KARPETS Vladimir Caisse d'Epargne 50 ,,
4 POPOVYCH Yaroslav Discovery Channel PT 40 ,,
5 CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto Discovery Channel PT 32 ,,
6 GUTIERREZ PALACIOS Jose Iván Caisse d'Epargne 26 ,,
7 HINCAPIE George Discovery Channel PT 22 ,,
8 PEREIRO SIO Oscar Caisse d'Epargne 18 ,,
9 HOSTE Leif Predictor - Lotto 14 ,,
10 ASTARLOZA CHAURREAU Mikel Euskaltel - Euskadi 10 ,,

Disco and Caisse knows a thing or two about positioning on a TT bike.

Dazed and Confused said:

Wow! That's the most absurd Top 10 ITT in history.

Popo the dealer!

thehog said:
There's only a long range shot of it.

France 3 put the magnifier over it and you can see Karpets hip checking him.

What I could find about the account of the incident is vague. Karpets said that Alberto hit him with his wrist and he bumped him. :)

Each team should be allowed an extra domestique solely for helmet-cam purposes. :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Microchip said:
What I could find about the account of the incident is vague. Karpets said that Alberto hit him with his wrist and he bumped him. :)

Each team should be allowed an extra domestique solely for helmet-cam purposes. :D

Contador got his handlebars tangled with Karpets saddle, Karpets bumped him off the road.

Dazed and Confused said:

I'd love to see Chicken in this TT :D

Dazed and Confused said:

It is the same for Jose Ivan, a man that even won Giro delle Emillia, and I saw him flying in Burgos, my land.

all of this keep well with the theory (it is not a theory, but in a forum must be like that) inside the cycling word, that from 2008 to 2011 cycling was cleaning.

Some riders remain (Valverde), others got better (Hesjedal), others got a little beat worse (Contador) or quite worse (Anton, Karpets, Jose Ivan, Kreuziger (considering he is young and was very primsing) ) I
In general colombians and french riders improved are better...

It is not always a rule to interpretate the cycling now. I.e. Gesink didnt improve, but his case seems different. As well, If someone now dope a little the improvement in result in clear. i have my doubt with Purito and Kathousa in generall.. they could be clean or just better without doping and improve for that, but as well they could dope now...I hope no.

Anyway in the case of Karpets, the typical case of east rider who were very primising, could be more things...he is now in a new role as domestique, and for that reason he has no own results, but he is doing a good job. He has changed his mind and his motivaton is different.

Karpets was with something in doping in Kathousa, as well as Kolobnev and others, nothing happened finally, but he was out of Kathousa, and in cycling if he wouldnt be there Unzue.

About his problem in the Tour with Contador... I saw that, other people didnt see, I dont Know how people see that in this forum.

It would be interesting, in a conspirative mode, to know what happened then...but the fact is that both of them are less strong now, and that fall was a knee problem for Contador that was bad for him in Pyrinees.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Only dirty rider was Leif Hoste.

Hahahaha. First Scott SoCal and Blackcat had me laughing and now this. Great thread guys! Picking on the first clean Tour since those yanks sullied everything! :rolleyes: