• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is your favourite suplement?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The brain is to think of yourself

The brain is to think of 杭州装潢yourself. Scientific research has proved that the brain is divided into left hemisphere and right 杭州装潢公司hemisphere. Left hemisphere is to the right of the people all 杭州酒店装修of the activity is generally left with the language, concepts, figures, analysis, logical reasoning and other functions; the杭州写字楼装修 right hemisphere is to the left of the people all of the activity, the right brain with music, painting, space geometry , imagine 杭州装饰公司that the integrated functions.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I think we are off topic but what the heck

I am a big fan of Hammer stuff so on the ride I use heed and perpetuem for long rides and no solid food although I some times use a bar just to keep me happy and something in my gut.

Pre ride I don't eat 3 hours before I ride

Post ride I use a recovery drink like recoverrite or R4 or I mak a smoothy with a frozen banana and some frozen berries and soy milk and a scoop of protein powder this works great for me. I have issues with milk in general.

Ok now the real question, I have tried most of the hammer products but really haven't found a big difference in my performance to be honest. I do like their vitamins however and find that I feel much better when I take them. I am olso taking omega 3 sups as I just read dr andy pruits book and highly suggests them for old farts like me

L

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Most overlooked cheap multivitamin

All kidding aside, an absolute deal when it comes to multi-vitamins are the generic prenatal vitamins sold at your local pharmacy. During my wife's first pregancy her physician suggested she a take generic prenatal vitamin. (Folic acid being one particular key vitamin for pregnant women). Out of curiosity I compared it's multi-vitamin profile to what a visiting buddy of mine was taking as suggested by the British Columbia provincial coaches. Well, at around 20-25% of the cost the prenatal replicated the multitude of capsules he had been taking. So next time I went to the pharmacy I doubled up on the prenatals.

Also a key nutrient many cyclists could do with is extra Calcium and Vit D to offset the mild osteoperosis cyclists seem to develop (2000mg Ca and 1000UI vit D daily). How do I know? Ask me about my comminuted femur fractor last April.

happy cycling

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Come on dudes,
Nothing replaces a balanced diet. Pre-ride normal water. During glucose and electrolites disolved in water. Solid fuel during training: nothing better than PB&J. Solid food during races:gels due to their convenience. Post ride, anything that has some protein and carbs (which include burritos) and a couple of cold beers to get a nice buzz with little alcohol.

Post-ride: skim milk, chocolate powder, glutamine enhanced protein powder, and a banana mixed in a blender. I don't know that it does much, but it is an easy way to get some quick calories in. As an alternative, yogurt plus a banana, peach, mango, strawberries, etc. is also nice.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cytomax, Lara or Cliff bars, and/or Gu gels on the bike (if hard or > 2 hours). Water if recovery ride. Personally, I prefer solid bars on the bike because I tend to get gastric cramps with gels after a while, even if taken with fluids. Obviously personal preference, but gels and bars should be tasty and not too sweet. Carb-to-protein ratio should be about 3-4:1.

For recovery, Cytomax recovery, chocolate milk, or homemade banana smoothie.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Zippywhoosh said:
Also a key nutrient many cyclists could do with is extra Calcium and Vit D to offset the mild osteoperosis cyclists seem to develop (2000mg Ca and 1000UI vit D daily). How do I know? Ask me about my comminuted femur fractor last April.

just picked up on this piece. Cycling and osteoporosis has been getting some press recently. Cycling does not stress the bones enough to prevent bone loss so despite being better than the inactive population we are at risk of osteoporosis and breaks.

I am sure you are right about the calcium etc. but the best for most is to do some real bone stress exercise as well. Jogging would do or weights but as a regular part of training.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
World of Warcraft Gold Tips

Most people are asking how to farm gold in WoW. Well, here are some methods for you to try out. In the south, middle edge of The Badlands zone, nestled in the small valley, you can farm normal rock elements. These people seem to drop a lot of grey loot which vendors for 50 silver to 1.5 WoW gold, and they drop it at every kill. Also, they drop Elemental Earth too, which is sold at the auction house for 1-3 WoW gold a piece. The average drop is 1 out of 17. Another way of how to farm wow gold, is to farm elemental slaves on the west side of Alterac mountains, for the chance to get elemental earths. This goes for about 1-3 World of Warcraft gold a piece on AH.

Jun 22, 2009
www.rokstok.com
Clayton said:
My top three are a good quality protein, Acetyl L Carnitine to keep the fat burning and Gen Tec's Thermo Fuel to fully power workouts. You can probably work out from this that I am a Clydesdale but I love being strong and don't really want to get my weight too low at the expense of power.

Non hormonals that are not hyped on here.........

MAN Body Octane : Non stim preworkout/ergo that boosts endurance and work output

MAN Clout : Best creatine plus extras product I've tried. Stacks well with the body octane.

This combo has given me amazing endurance and power output. I have to seriously make myself take breaks between sets. I can do a set, rack the bar and I'm ready to go again immediately. Great stack for endurance athletes, sprinters, or any athelete who's sport produces a lot of lactate acid and requires maximum power output.
13195.jpg

for during endurance rides (MTB or Road) I prefer TORQ, MULE or Cliff bars as they're the easiest to eat. Depending on length of the ride, Gu or TORQ gels as well.
liquids: one 750ml bottle of straight water, 500ml bottle of High5 4:1 Energy mix
After, will be BSc protien or in a pinch either a protien bar of some sort or PB on toast, with a proper meal within a couple of hours of finishing.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
1. Proper diet
2. plenty of water --daily
3. I use B12 supplement prior to a TR
4. Water and recovery drink during rides, sometimes GU or energy gels (depending in the intensity)
5. EAS protein powder(~23 grams of protein) mixed in with juice or water or milk and a few strawberries or banana or some type of fruit to provide flavor
6. 4.8 grams of amino acid supplements (full array of aminos)
7. eat ~1- 1 1/2 hours after ride

Since I have started using the EAS protein drink after ride my muscles are recuperating faster and I feel great.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Electrolytes are probably the best supplements you can take.

Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium and Sodium. I see people all the time cramping up on bike rides because they drink way too much water without replenishing these four electrolytes.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
CERA, Testosterone patches on my nuts and an autologous blood transfusion after a hard training cycle. Seems to be what the pros do.....

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
nobrakes said:
My favorite suppliment is good, wholesome organic food.

Excellent concept. I would add that it is possible that you don't get all the nutrients you need unless you try really hard. I add half a full-spectrum vitamin (I use generic Centrum equivalent) every morning and night just to fill in the corners.

Studies have shown that cyclists have low bone density so a calcium supplement was suggested in a few studies I read. Sorry that I can't pull chapter and verse from my brain on sources; Google it I guess.

Now, I find it more trouble than my lazy @$$ will go through to take organic on the bike when you're out for 6 hours. After 20 years of fiddling, I have settled on:

I have tried several on-bike beverages and like Accelerade best. One bottle of that and one water. I mix it to a strength dependent on how long I'm out. 1 hour ride = thin (don't usually take extra water unless it's over 95F). 4 hour ride = strong. I then intake it at a commensurate rate and thin it with water if necessary. Taking extra powder is a P.I.T.A. so I'd rather have it syrupy.

PowerGel and Gu and both pretty good. PowerGel Orange has a chemical flair that I have given up on. Overall, the GU is thicker and sort of odd, but flavors are much better. Both stay down well and are easily cut with a single mouthful of water. I don't like to take half a bottle to get the goo out. Colorado has some water stops few and far between once you head for the hills so it is a balancing act.

Recovery drink is best accomplished by: one scoop of QUALITY protein (so soy if you want, but get it at a health food store), 1/2 cup orange juice (and again, use good stuff, going back to the post quote at the top), skim milk (we get ours from the local hippie dippie dairy), a fat pinch of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla for flavor. Sometimes I add a scoop of psyllium husks for some thickness, and more fiber is never a bad thing.

All in all, the best supplement is to put in the best food you can before you ride. Let your body stockpile it for you. Choose wisely and don't cheap out on what you do put in.

<and if you made it this far, thanks for reading all this>

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Studies have shown that cyclists have low bone density so a calcium supplement was suggested in a few studies I read.

Very true on the bone density of cyclists but calcium supplements will not help without the appropriate stress across the bone. Cyclists have better bone density than inactive people but that's still pretty poor. The only effective supplement is appropriate stress to the bone structure. Go do bar bell weights or similar.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
arrhythmia rules said:
Studies have shown that cyclists have low bone density so a calcium supplement was suggested in a few studies I read.

Very true on the bone density of cyclists but calcium supplements will not help without the appropriate stress across the bone. Cyclists have better bone density than inactive people but that's still pretty poor.
Hi arrhythmia rules, very true that cyclists should be doing load bearing exercises, however many cyclists do have lower bone density than inactive people. But they will live longer and have better health over all of course.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Generally I try to keep a track on what I am consuming before I delve into supplements.
The post cycling supplements that I have been using are protien powders and shakes. So a combination of fruits and protien shakes does the trick.

In terms of during cycling supplements, I have recently started taking Amino Vital during my rides.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I found a 'gel' test in Europe's biggest cycling magazine, in German. Available here, in PDF

It lists the following gels:

Born; Hammer; High Five; Isostar; Maxim; Nutrixxion; Penco; Powerbar; Sponser; Squeezy; Xenofit.

Mind you, the German rating is based on the 'lowest' number, ie 1.4 is better than 3.0. It describes the taste, energy content, price, flavours, texture, and some added notes by a sports physicist.

Perhaps it's of use, if you want to switch/start gels.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
arrhythmia rules said:
Hi again

These emails have got me to check things again. WHO rehydration therapy uses per litre 2.6g sodium chloride for the sodium, 13.5g glucose to help absorption, 1.5g potassium chloride for the potassium, the chloride from these, and 2.9g trisodium citrate for the citrate. Not sure what the citrate does or how it fits for sweat loss but generally in sports drinks it is not mentioned. I understand with salt it maintains a neutral solution (pH 7.0) which may be important for WHO rehydration needs. However it may have other uses. The other requirements above are well met with fruit juice, water and salt. Almost ideally suited to endurance sports. Please tell me if I am missing something.

So my use of low sodium salt to give added potassium is particular to my heart condition. Most folk will find the potassium in the fruit juice sufficient or use a small amount of low sodium salt plus ordinary salt. I will use a mix of the two next time.

The WHO use glucose to help intestine absorption. Sugar is essential for this, plain water will not do. However in general glucose is not good in a sports drink and slower release fructose is preferable though I understand not ideal. I do not know whether fructose would slow salt absorption significantly over glucose but suspect it will be slight if at all. However in any case steady consumption should alleviate that issue.

Calcium and magnesium are the other electrolytes mentioned in very small quantities as being lost in sweat. If eating normally they should not be an issue though low magnesium is a general dietary issue for many with heart arrhythmias.

Re glucose it can at times be useful when a quick boost is needed but is generally not good. For that I sometimes carry things like macaroon bars or how about Kendal Mint cake?

One further point. All these are bad for tooth and gum health. This can be helped by drinking over the tongue and missing your teeth or by using water to rinse the mouth. Or just brush your teeth at the end.

Is calcium an eloctrolyte?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I've got a friend who is a really good XC ski racer, marathon skater and cyclist - having raced internationally in all three disciplines. She's also a sports nutritionist and works with a number of national teams in a variety of codes.

Her advice on nutrition supplements, protein powders and all that? Unless you are diagnosed with a specific deficiency, they're pretty much all bull**** and you're throwing good money after bad. If you have a balanced diet, then the majority of what goes also goes out without being used by the body.

Her recommendation for the ideal post-workout recovery drink? Chocolate milk (milo and milk or whatever).

Her recommendation for a during workout drink? Like a couple of the previous posters said, watered down juice with a pinch of salt.

I've taken her advice - in conjunction with a really simple dietary analysis (and a few simple, small but significant changes to my diet) - and have never felt better. Definitely not wasting money on gels and crap like that any more!! :)

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
flyor64 said:
Just read an article on FRS in Men's Journal. Anyone try it yet? Is it living up to the hype?

Yeah, I have. It gives you clean energy for a good length of time, and it's healthy, especially in comparison to most energy drinks. Lance doesn't just use it cause he gets paid and is part owner of the company. What do you think fuels all that tweeting?

I like pea protein mixed with whey protein in a nonfat chocolate frozen yogurt smoothie. I use about 10 ounces of nonfat milk or almond milk. I also add monglucosamine, bee pollen, yogurt, omega oil, flax seed, and maybe a little ovaltine. Tastes great, and those types of protein absorb over a long period, so they are great before or after a workout, but I especially like it after a ride for superior recovery. Combining proteins also gives you better absorption of the protein into your body.

Milk thistle is also great for cleansing the liver; the key organ in your body.

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Outlast by Outlast Energy all the way. It's easy to drink at full strength and doesn't upset my stomach. My muscles also feel much better the day after a hard ride.

TRENDING THREADS