• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What Should be Nibali's Tactics in the giro 2013?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What Should be Nibali's Tactics in the giro 2013?

• Just listen to vino.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More Strides than Rides said:
A few days before I race, I imagine myself going away solo 2/3s into the race. As the race gets closer, I get a little more practical imagining a move on some corner or hill farther in. By race time, I'm usually only lighting my matches in the last kilometer, if I'm even contending.

The best tactic is to get to the finale with more left than the other guy: stay in his draft, keep the pace even, and do everything right (nutrition, hydration, ect.) along the way. If he is stronger than you, you have to force him to screw up one of those. The most easy is making him lead. Very rarely does out-foxing actually work mano-a-mano

I would sit on Wiggans's wheel, and let the journeymen/outside contenders go away. Sky/Wiggans will chase them eventually, if not in the early stages. Sky will weaken, Wiggans will work, and then nibali finds himself in a position where he has more left, then goes.

He will make up 4 minutes with this genius approach?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Call me crazy but I think he should pedal faster than the rest (at same gearing as his competitors, for you gear inch jokers), that just might do it. :p

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
A few days before I race, I imagine myself going away solo 2/3s into the race. As the race gets closer, I get a little more practical imagining a move on some corner or hill farther in. By race time, I'm usually only lighting my matches in the last kilometer, if I'm even contending.

The best tactic is to get to the finale with more left than the other guy: stay in his draft, keep the pace even, and do everything right (nutrition, hydration, ect.) along the way. If he is stronger than you, you have to force him to screw up one of those. The most easy is making him lead. Very rarely does out-foxing actually work mano-a-mano

I would sit on Wiggans's wheel, and let the journeymen/outside contenders go away. Sky/Wiggans will chase them eventually, if not in the early stages. Sky will weaken, Wiggans will work, and then nibali finds himself in a position where he has more left, then goes.

I always shake my head when I see guys fly and die in the name of "just going for it." Racing is simple, a lot simpler than people make it

There's a lot of sense in that comment however, sometimes winning or breaking another opponent/s can be achieved with a massive disregard to sense, logic or even the rule book. See recent Nibali at Trentino13, Contador Vuelta12 Feunte De as examples.
My opinion would be as a few mentioned earlier take small time bonuses where possible and gain on MTF and descents. Nibali's main effort needs to go into limiting his loss in the ITT under 3 minutes there's half a chance, if over, then teammate or 3 up the road and hit an all out attack on a hard stage. All or nothing. Test Sky to their limits of power/organisation and Brads mental strength (which I doubt is as invincable as some may believe) and desire to win hard.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Easy.
Team up with Garmin, Movistar and BMC and let the fireworks begin...
-to absolutely no use, the SKYBORGS will totally dominate this from start to finish.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
xrayvision said:
Easy.
Team up with Garmin, Movistar and BMC and let the fireworks begin...

It would have been possible only 3-4 teams could have united with one leader - Nibali. All of them solve their own talks rather than make anything possible that Wiggins couldn't win.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have an idea how much Nibali could realistically make up with time bonuses? I'd guess somewhere up to a minute if he wins a few MTF stages, plus a few more seconds gaps along the way. He is going to need at least one decisive day in his favour (1-2 minute gap).

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Only reason Wiggo rants about doing the Giro/Tour double is because he know he is going to lose the Giro to Nibbles. He will crack early in the climbs and decide to save himself for the TT wins.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
Just listen to vino.

which means

Consider each stage with some difficulty as an opportunity to take time.

+

Go Pantani crazy and attack way earlier, maybe talk with some riders (hesjedal, evans,...)

This!:D

10chars

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
melkemugg said:
Only reason Wiggo rants about doing the Giro/Tour double is because he know he is going to lose the Giro to Nibbles. He will crack early in the climbs and decide to save himself for the TT wins.

I thought this at one point too before being blinded by all the hype. This time last year Wiggins had Paris-Nice and Romandie under his belt. This year a 5th at Catalunya and a 5th at Trentino is not quite so dominant. What happened to all that bs about "no races for training, only going ftw"? Not on the same trajectory this year. Nibali on the other hand has hit his targets.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Sorry about the name, i always thought it was mbiruo:cool:

And dude, you think i abandoned Contador? You think i dont pray every day he wins Tour and Worlds this year?

But at the moment he is riding like a joke. Thats the brutal truth of the matter. And one must always face the truth even when it appears unpleasant.

He can ride like a joke all year long if he wins Tour no?Look at his bad GTs...Giro 08,Vuelta 12 struggled but he still managed to win,he is a master of GTs.Alberto never gives up and this will kill Froome.U know,like Alberto says.Tomorrow more!:cool:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
He can ride like a joke all year long if he wins Tour no?Look at his bad GTs...Giro 08,Vuelta 12 struggled but he still managed to win,he is a master of GTs.Alberto never gives up and this will kill Froome.U know,like Alberto says.Tomorrow more!:cool:

You can't imagine what he's gonna collide with. In this case these attack can destroy only them [Nibali and Contador].

Nibali is ready to attack from the bottom of the Giau with a risk of being dropped out of top 3-5, what do you think?

Morbius said:
Anyone have an idea how much Nibali could realistically make up with time bonuses? I'd guess somewhere up to a minute if he wins a few MTF stages, plus a few more seconds gaps along the way. He is going to need at least one decisive day in his favour (1-2 minute gap).

Nibali will need a massive improvement to win a couple of mtfs. He's never won one in a gt before. Maybe could have on bola in 2010 but that's as close as it got.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I wouldn't count on BMC, regardless. Evans just wants to reach a good level and maybe win a stage. The Tour is his main goal.
Even better. Evans soft pedals the first mountain stage and loses a lot of time. Then on a hard mountain stage, BMC and Astana send some doms ahead. Evans and Nibali bridge to them on the last descent, the doms burn themselves up and then Evans and Nibali give it all. Evans is gifted the win. Nibali wins 2 minutes.

airstream said:
In GTs Vino always strongly paid for his redundant moves. Nibali can go his way in this regard

Vino was never going to win a grand tour unless he took these risks and rode aggressively. He did happen to win the Vuelta though so it did ultimately pay off to a certain degree. He was never the best versus the clock nor was he among the elite gc climbers so he could've ridden conservatively and hoped for the best possible finish in the gc or he could go for broke as he did and hope to create chaos and at best causing his stronger rivals to make mistakes. I think he rode in a fashion that gave him the best chance at success. What comes to mind most is the Tour stage to Gap (in 2003 I believe) where Beloki had his horrific crash on the descent and Armstrong's often mentioned improvisation to avoid Beloki, all caused by Vino's aggression.

As far as Nibali if not for his aggressive riding he never would've won TA this year nor would he have made the podium of MSR. I think his aggressive riding has been more of an asset than a detriment to his success.

Does anyone remember the last time Nibbles rode il giro: the head shaking, the Bertie doesn't respect me routine, the hand holding with his director on the Gavia stage? He should aim for a podium. I root for Nibali usually, but it's going to be painful when Bradley reaches across Ryder to scruff the hair of the shark in congratulations.

Ferminal said:
He will make up 4 minutes with this genius approach?

I didn't vote in the TT thread, but I think it will be near three minutes.

Regardless, I answered the question, "What should Nibali's tactics be?".

For Nibali to win, he will have to find more form on top of what he has shown to be his best in the past, and Wiggans will have to have missed out on some of the calculated components of his 2012 prep.

Nibali won't win unless Wiggans shows weakness. Sitting on Wiggans and waiting for the opportunity is much safer than soloing and hoping Wiggnas can't come back. I voted for the Purito option, but that and the third options aren't exclusive of each other

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
You can't imagine what he's gonna collide with. In this case these attack can destroy only them [Nibali and Contador].

Nibali is ready to attack from the bottom of the Giau with a risk of being dropped out of top 3-5, what do you think?

You are on my ignore,so luck that I wasnt logged in when I read this post...anyway,
1.only do or die attacks can help them cos like you said Froome(respect.Wiggins at Giro) is/are so strong
2.yeah,maybe out of Top 10,but whats the deal?...he made the podium twice,win or fail,second place sux in this case;)

TRENDING THREADS