• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should happen to Sky for getting food on Stage 18?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What should happen to Sky for illegally taking food?

• Both Porte and Froome should be 'penalised'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Froome disqualified and imprisoned in the Bastille, the UK kicked out of the United Nations, and Winston Churchill dug up and his head put on a spike on the Champs-Élysées.

or...y'know, a few seconds penalty, if you are feeling merciful.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Sky should be thrown out of the WorldTour for this.

Seriously though, he would've lost more than 20secs if he didn't get any gels

I doubt that, he had only like what? 3k to go? Besides, gels take like 15 or so minutes for the body to absorb and make use of. So don't think it made much difference.

Afrank said:
What's the usual penalty for taking food? Just follow the rules and give him that. I don't see it as a big deal really, so he took some food, so what? Not like it gave him a big advantage over everyone else.

While I agree, whatever the penalty is, just use the rules.

To the bolded, it's a BIG DEAL. In this case, hunger knock with many Kilometres left on a massive climb like that would have meant losing minutes to his GC rivals. Yes, in the span of 3-5 Km, the GC would have been rearranged a bit.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I miss the 'Froome should be forced to do six Alpe D'huez laps in the rain against Vinokourov without food and be penalised the time he lost to Vino in the GC' option.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Sky should be thrown out of the WorldTour for this.

Seriously though, he would've lost more than 20secs if he didn't get any gels

no, it didn't make any differenc,.e froome simply blew. he was already on the verge of blwoing before that when quintana countered purito.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
wwabbit said:
He has to be spanked by LaFlorecita.

Where is the punishment?? :D Epic lulz.

I voted "all of Sky should be penalised", but I didn't mean all, I just meant Froome, Porte and the DS. I would say it is fair to deduct time from Froome and Porte and give a fine to the DS

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
The answer I'd like to give is "10 minutes for both riders".

However, the fair answer is, "whatever the rules say". And, if the rules aren't specific, it should have been the time a bonking rider would have been expected to lose from that point to the finish.

20 seconds is a joke.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think rules are rules. Penalties should apply but a DSQ ?? Are you serious ?? LOL

I voted for 'a couple of minutes' but that is only in context of the gap in this years tour.

I think the decision should be arbitrary although the flaw with that is that the French tend to be biased (harsh but fair).

If this was a Tour in which the top two were within 10 secs of each other - you have just ruined the Tour - if you gave a two minute fixed penalty.

In this case 20 secs is much too little, but generally speaking is probably appropriate as a standard penalty.

That's my thoughts for what it's worth. :eek:

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
no, it didn't make any differenc,.e froome simply blew. he was already on the verge of blwoing before that when quintana countered purito.

^^ this pretty much before quintana went away he took longer too close with every up in tempo

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Whatever the normal penalty is but, honestly, this brings disgrace to the Yellow jersey. He has a huge lead so he figured it's ok to cheat since even being docked a minute wouldn't really threaten his overall ambitions. Disgraceful and offensive. Play by the rules, this isn't some rider in 120th place off the back and off camera holding onto a car for a few seconds, it's the Yellow jersey!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
User Guide said:
Nah after today Bjarne Riis has dibs rest of the week.

Lol!

papafrog said:
Whatever the normal penalty is but, honestly, this brings disgrace to the Yellow jersey. He has a huge lead so he figured it's ok to cheat since even being docked a minute wouldn't really threaten his overall ambitions. Disgraceful and offensive. Play by the rules, this isn't some rider in 120th place off the back and off camera holding onto a car for a few seconds, it's the Yellow jersey!

Yes I agree it is a bit of a disgrace

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
papafrog said:

Cheating is far more a part of the tour de France than playing by the rules :p

He should be penalized 5 minutes resulting in this top 5 at the start of fridays stage.
1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 71:02:19
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:00:11
3 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 0:00:32
4 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:00:44
5 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 0:00:58
:D I'd pay money to see that.

TRENDING THREADS