• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What was the best Men's Road Race World Championship in past 10 years?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What is the best Men's Road Race World Championship in past 10 years?

• Geelong, Australia - Thor Hushovd

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ibanez said:
Because everyone else is picking Mendrisio, I will vote Salzburg, Bettini's first win. He made several attacks on the final lap, getting away with different riders every time, only to be brought back. Millar, in his first season back, ended up appearing to be the last guy off the front and was brought back, only for the Spanish to pull a number on the entire peloton through a corner in the last kilometre. Only the experienced Zabel and a resurgent Bettini can follow.

Sanchez puts in a huge leadout, and the sprint comes down to a Battle Royal between Valverde Zabel and Bettini - the most consistent bunch sprinter around and the two punchiest classics riders in the world. Valverde goes too early and fades, Zabel looks to be the one, but Bettini nabs him on the line to get his first Worlds. 30 seconds later he is surrounded by Journalists and Italian support staff, holding his bike over his head like a trophy.

I wanted Zabel to get it - but Bettini did ride a great race. A testament if there ever was one to never staying far from the front, and not giving up either! Can't remember how they managed to peel off the front like that, think it was McEwen that led the bunch in about 5 seconds later so it was packed with sprinters. I think following that move came down to reaction times and intuition more than legs - Sanchez is a great rider but he's no Cancellara on the flat. Hardly a surprise it was two of the biggest veterans of the sport who got on the wheel in time.

Great description! Makes me want to go youtube and review it!:)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/iconic-images-uci-worlds-road-race

Perhaps this year....

cancellara09_600.jpg

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
whatever was the best, no doubt tomorrow will surpass them all :rolleyes:

Tomorrow will be the worst since Zolder.

And to think Belgium has to wait at least till 2016 for a chance to host the Worlds. You can make a good race in Leuven though. People that make courses like this should be shot. At a paintball contest.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Tomorrow will be the worst since Zolder.

And to think Belgium has to wait at least till 2016 for a chance to host the Worlds. You can make a good race in Leuven though. People that make courses like this should be shot. At a paintball contest.

I'm not even looking forward to the race.

The nature of the course is ridden too hard, so the idea of attacks and such is gone.

Please o Please don't let cav win :(

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I'm not even looking forward to the race.

The nature of the course is ridden too hard, so the idea of attacks and such is gone.

Please o Please don't let cav win :(

I'm looking forward to it, but only because I'm curious as to what Cancellara will do.

And Phil has a shot in the sprint I guess. Must suck for the Dutch with their climbers team though :eek:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I'm looking forward to it, but only because I'm curious as to what Cancellara will do.

And Phil has a shot in the sprint I guess. Must suck for the Dutch with their climbers team though :eek:

maybe we get an earth-quake and a landscape re-model overnight :eek:

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I've come to the realisation that I probably actually don't care about the race tomorrow. The course is awful, the racing will be dire, and we'll be left with a winner I don't much care for and have no interest in ever seeing race.

I wouldnt mind if EBH would be the winner, fan of EBH after I saw him destroy everyone on the Collet d'Allevard tbh :p.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
how so??????? thor & gilbert have their own races they want to win. a wc jersey won't change that.

Just wondering. But I think Im gonna support Cancellera! GVA might have a small shot if there is a sprint of a small group. Wouldnt mind Gilbert too. Anyone but sprinters! Even Niki Terpstra

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Just wondering. But I think Im gonna support Cancellera! GVA might have a small shot if there is a sprint of a small group. Wouldnt mind Gilbert too. Anyone but sprinters! Even Niki Terpstra

GVA wont be a facctor, sorry. It will be al for gilbert, he will go in the lasts km or two I'm sure. If not wait for the end.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
GVA wont be a facctor, sorry. It will be al for gilbert, he will go in the lasts km or two I'm sure. If not wait for the end.

If he goes and it doesnt work he will be too tired to sprint. It will be like last year again. GVA will be given a chance to sprint. But he might have to work his *** off for gilbert first.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
If he goes and it doesnt work he will be too tired to sprint. It will be like last year again. GVA will be given a chance to sprint. But he might have to work his *** off for gilbert first.

he wont go until the end tho. It would be idiotic to do so. what do you think, gva will have a chance to regroup after the end and then go himself? Unlike last year there is no climb 10km before the end where gilbert could launch. Phil will wait for the end also, it's his best chance.

Anyway GVA even if he got a chance to sprint at the end wouldn't win, too much good opposition would be left at the end,

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

If GVA wins Peter van de Veire will ride his bike all the way to Copenhagen. We can only hope.

The only way GVA can be a threat is if all the sprinters are out. And that will mean he will have done the work to get rid of them. I wish Boonen could have been here then Gilbert would be given a massive chance to attack and then Boonen could have won. Now Gilbert has to attack to reduce the field then also try in the sprint.

I think Boom could go well for the Dutchies, he's my dark horse who is in good form. He needs to get in a break though.