• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

what will be the top 10 in the vuelta

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sergey&#174 said:
122 posts and not one person has mentioned Denis Menchov.

He's a twice winner of this race and finished 5th last year, albeit working for Cobo in the later stages. Surely with the team that Katusha are fielding, he's got to be in with a top 10 shout.

After this years tdf menchov is likely done. Im talking career wise

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Sergey&#174 said:
122 posts and not one person has mentioned Denis Menchov.

He's a twice winner of this race and finished 5th last year, albeit working for Cobo in the later stages. Surely with the team that Katusha are fielding, he's got to be in with a top 10 shout.

Sounds like we've timewarped a few months back to the TDF. Majority of posts claimed he would at least podium, if not do top 5. It was his best and perhaps only opportunity to have racked up a 3 grand tour sweep for his career, so enough motivation of the lifetime to achieve. He failed miserably by consistently getting dropped again and again on relatively non-steep climbs, didn't fight for breakaway payback for the team, and went by unnoticed. Now he's tired and has better riders on his team so where will he finish ?

will10 said:
Wow, looking at prov. startlist on cyclingfever, the sprint field is pretty tame.
Surprising that not a single top sprinter has chosen to start. Sagan/Goss/Greipel/Kittel/Cav could all have dominated the sprints here rather easily. Now we're left with Swift and Degenkolb as the top sprinters. They'll probably get around 3 stages each...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
Surprising that not a single top sprinter has chosen to start. Sagan/Goss/Greipel/Kittel/Cav could all have dominated the sprints here rather easily. Now we're left with Swift and Degenkolb as the top sprinters. They'll probably get around 3 stages each...

Well who cares about sprinters in this vuelta?

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
After this years tdf menchov is likely done. Im talking career wise

orangerider said:
Sounds like we've timewarped a few months back to the TDF. Majority of posts claimed he would at least podium, if not do top 5. It was his best and perhaps only opportunity to have racked up a 3 grand tour sweep for his career, so enough motivation of the lifetime to achieve. He failed miserably by consistently getting dropped again and again on relatively non-steep climbs, didn't fight for breakaway payback for the team, and went by unnoticed. Now he's tired and has better riders on his team so where will he finish ?

Well, Paddy Power (UK bookmaker) have him at 150/1 (1/4 top 3) and I've backed him each-way. I personally don't think he's finished. FFS - he's only 32 years young.

Geox were quite cute in last years Vuelta and switched team leaders during the tour as Cobo looked strongest. Katusha might play the same card if Menchov is stronger than J-Rod and Moreno.

I've £25 each-way on Denis. It's merely reinvesting money I won when he finished 3rd on the Angliru last year (when he was 40/1 for the stage).

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
maltiv said:

Well there is only about 4-5 stages for the sprinters, and that is being generous!

Plus Bouhanni is there, and Viviani, and Breschel, still decent sprinters.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
gustienordic said:
Well there is only about 4-5 stages for the sprinters, and that is being generous!

Plus Bouhanni is there, and Viviani, and Breschel, still decent sprinters.

Swift can climb a bit(relative to other sprinters) not good season injury wise so not sure how he'll go tho

will10 said:
Wow, looking at prov. startlist on cyclingfever, the sprint field is pretty tame.

In 1 of the many Vuelta threads I allready listed all the sprinters that ride the Vuelta.
It's all B and C sprinters, but imo it's great. A lot more unpredictable winners, but I think Bouhanni, Swift and Degenkolb will be the guys to beat in the sprint this year.

Tbh Goss should've went to the Vuelta. Atleast he could've won a stage in Spain :D

PedalCastro said:
Points jersey to go to a climber??

Definately. Just like last year when Mollema won it on the last day just beating Rodriguez by finishing 11th in the bunch sprint in Madrid.
Rodriguez will once again be the main contender for the points jersey I think, but if Contador has good form this Vuelta he will have a say in this as well :)

I don't think Mollema has the form he had last year.... unfortunately.

iZnoGouD said:
Sergio Paulinho can sprint and climb!

Wanna bet he won't win a single stage?

If he wins a stage I will use an Machado avatar... or Paulinho. Or something you want me to use until 1 November.

If he doesn't win a stage you have to use this as avatar.

581923616_4_ms8Q.jpeg

Deal? :)

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Did not really look like he could climb so well this tour though

Allergy + both Paulinho and Nicki Sørensen were not meant to peak for the Tour.

Btw read a column by Riis about rider roles for the Vuelta:

Nicki Sørensen, Noval and Tosatto are to take care of Bertie on the flat stages.
Pires and Paulinho for the medium mountains and early-stage big mountains
Majka, Navarro and Jesus for the big mountains + last climb

Got a feeling Majka might just turn out to be the last guy with Bertie.

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I know that Quintana is popular here (forum), but still too much love for him I think... Or then you know things that I don't.

Have you any news about Movistar? Cobo will be their man, but what is Pitis role?

And what is Quintanas role/target? Helping Cobo and Piti, KOM, stage win or GC top10-top15?

TRENDING THREADS