• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What will Lemond say?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

ThaiPanda

BANNED
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
editedbymod said:
Here is my thought.

Yes a conspiracy theory but hear me out.

I think that he paid someone for Floyd to test positive. But that's a stretch. Could be true.

Right. :D

A busted Landis, with nowhere to turn, that has mountains of dirt on Armstrong and USPS during those years. Yeah, he wants that guy busted and desperate. :rolleyes:

A better question with potential conspiracy theories attached: Why did all of the shyt hit the fan, for all competitors, after Armstrong retired? 06/07/08 all had doping issues in the TdF, but none in 09 and yet in 10.

If Armstrong was paying off the UCI to keep himself unbusted, if the competition was doped why weren't they busted when he rode? Landis himself was whinging it in 2005, and he still didn't get busted. Then, he gets on a more organized team funded program in 2006 and goes AAF? WTF is up with that?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
editedbymod said:

It's too long for me to do this but here's a few thing which I didn't know before:

1) Fat Pat McQuack apparently wrote 3 letters to Greg and threatened to sue him.

2) Greg apparently knew of Landis positive beforehand.

3) He learned from a mechanic in 1999 about payments to the UCI.

4) He thinks that Landis does have evidence, that Kristin Armstrong will talk, and so will Tyler Hamilton

5) He inhaled :eek: :eek:

About the $300,000:

Ich weiß, dass er jemanden bezahlen wollte, das zu erzählen. Ich kann nicht sagen, wer es ist, weil derjenige heute noch im Feld arbeitet. Aber er bekam letztes Jahr 300 000 Dollar dafür geboten, um zu behaupten, dass ich Epo nahm. Er hat abgelehnt.

I know that he [LA] offered to pay someone to say this. I cannot tell who that person was, because he still works in the field. But he was offered $300,000 last year to claim that I used EPO. He declined.

I wonder who that was?

Cobblestones said:
I know that he [LA] offered to pay someone to say this. I cannot tell who that person was, because he still works in the field. But he was offered $300,000 last year to claim that I used EPO. He declined.

I wonder who that was?
why o why when someone is saying he knows a person he wont tell us name...if hes speaking the truth where s the problem with that?

to me that statement has as much credibility as "my sources told me":rolleyes:

i can make up hundreds of statement like that about anyone in the world,my point is if you know a person tell a name or just stfu greg

May 20, 2010
Visit site
3) He learned from a mechanic in 1999 about payments to the UCI.
Wonder if said mechanic might be Julien Activegin Devriese.

About the $300,000:

know that he [LA] offered to pay someone to say this. I cannot tell who that person was, because he still works in the field. But he was offered $300,000 last year to claim that I used EPO. He declined.
I wonder who that was?[/QUOTE]

Shall we start the guessing?

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
saganftw said:
why o why when someone is saying he knows a person he wont tell us name...if hes speaking the truth where s the problem with that?

i can make up hundreds of statement like that about anyone in the world,my point is if you know a person tell a name or just stfu greg

It was Dirk, but Dirk is a very big fan of Greg's so he declined.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
TexPat said:
Wonder if said mechanic might be Julien Activegin Devriese.

I wonder who that was?

Shall we start the guessing?[/QUOTE]

Someone who rode or worked with LeMond, cant be too many english speaking people who would consider doing that for Uniballer

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
you idiot Kevin Costner is the greatest american cyclist ever its true they made a movie about it aswell...

LOL!

I was one of about sixty or so extras for the bike racing scenes. I could tell you some hilarious stories from that movie. But even with months of coaching, none of the actors could ride worth a hill of beans -- especially Kevin Costner.

The funny thing is that he seemed like a caveman when he was doing his lines. (He was still basically an unknown at that point.) But one day they let the extras watch the dailies (footage shot the day before) and Costner was incredible. You literally could not take your eyes off of him. That's when I knew he was going to be a star.

Edit: I don't particularly like him as an actor, but he definitely has an on-screen charisma.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Probably just his phone conversation with LA and maybe Landis. Can't think of anything else.

How about the taped phone call with the Oakley salesperson who was there in the hospital when Lance admitted doping?

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:

Oh, don't worry fanboy. Greg will reveal the name on July 30th. Just not to you and I.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
saganftw said:

*** comment.

Obviously it's up to the person himself to stand up and say so. If he doesn't want at this time, or if he was advised not to do so (maybe because it's an ongoing investigation), then Greg is doing the right thing not to reveal the name. Because whoever it is would likely (have to) decline any comment in public anyway atm.

But yeah I can totally see how Greg's interview, printed in a respected German newspaper has about the same credibility as an internet rumor.

editedbymod said:

Yes, the selection of the quotes may appear biased, but it´s saturday night and the last days´ heat is gone so I can't be bothered with translating all of it (not a whole lot of new stuff in there anyway).
Try teh gibberish bot.

[...]
[about ASO and UCI celebrating Armstrong and keeping his story alive]
GL: If he [LA] was a normal rider an not a cancer surviver surrounded by a machinery - he would have long since been out of the game.

Q: What do you mean by machinery?
GL: His people. I remember travelling to the Tour-Presentation in 2003. I really was willing to put aside the differences I had with him, because the Tour celebrated it´s 100th. So I went there, Armstrong was supposed to get get on stage [together] with me. Then he came - 30 minutes late, of course. He talked to his manager, they talked to Leblanc, they turned towards me - and then someone asked me whether I could get onto the stage alone instead of with Armstrong

[...]

Q: Dont´ you have any hope?
GL: Not wiithout cleansing the whole house, starting at the UCI. They have to go, their head has to go [...] everybody was part of the dirty game and no one says: "let´s sweep the house!" Of course cycling survives, but [will it stay] respectable, with pride?
No, it´s only the business that counts.

Q: In may FL said he had no evidence to support his allegtions.
GL: I beleive to know he indeed has evidence [take this with a grain of salt. Hard to translate, "durchaus" may als well be used to "diminish" a statement (but then it would be followed by a "aber" (="but")]. He named those riders rather unwilingly, he told me. Because they are guys of his kind. But to be credible, he has to do this. In US jurisdiction there ist something like "Anscheinsbeweis" [I´m lost here - is there something like "prima facie proof"?], and hey, how much circumstancial evidence do you need for Armstrong? The positives from 99 will now certainly be used, because this is a criminal investigation. But the investigators are not after doping. They´re after: Bank transfers, the flow of money, covering up crime.

Q: Armstrong used to sue everyone who attacked him. Not in this case.
GL: Because Floyd is telling the truth. And they know it, he does, the other culprits, their layers know it. These trials tend to develop a life of their own, and they [the culprits] prefer to pass out on that.

[...]

Q: So Armstrong said on the phone in 2001, he would rustle up 10 folks that would confirm you too were taking EPO? Did he find them?
GL: He tried with all means. I know he wanted to pay someone to say that. I can´t tell you who that was because that person is still working in the peloton. But he was offered 300000 Dollar for claiming I took EPO. He refused. (Armstrongs team spokesman, confronted with this allegation said: "This ist the first time we hear about this thing and it is absolutely not true. It´s a wonderful story")

Love the "never heard of, but it´s untrue" part.

Cobblestones said:
*** comment.

Obviously it's up to the person himself to stand up and say so. If he doesn't want at this time, or if he was advised not to do so (maybe because it's an ongoing investigation), then Greg is doing the right thing not to reveal the name. Because whoever it is would likely (have to) deny it in public anyway atm.

But yeah I can totally see how Greg's interview, printed in a respected German newspaper has about the same credibility as an internet rumor.

you obviously missed my point sherlock, what i dont like about statements like that is that anyone can make up anything under the "respected newspaper" label....like ppl have never lied before

what is more sad is that ppl tend to take that as a fact and they start to point fingers and thats what i hate...its not fact because its just a guy who says something that is not confirmed...if the investigation proves it good,lets talk about it but dont ask me to believe everything i read (pro and against LA),just look at this whole case investigation is still running and ppl already know how its goin to end...wtf is goin on?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I just hope they ask him one thing - did he take any banned substances during his active career without a Therapuetic Use Exemption (TUE). AND I am not talking about over the counter stuff. If he answers NO he is just as bad as the rest. I know someone who will be sending him an 'email' if this happens - gonna rock...

goober said:
I just hope they ask him one thing - did he take any banned substances during his active career without a Therapuetic Use Exemption (TUE). AND I am not talking about over the counter stuff. If he answers NO he is just as bad as the rest. I know someone who will be sending him an 'email' if this happens - gonna rock...

Why don't they just send it now and be done with it?

Probably the main thing in tossing Lemond a subpoena is that it frees him from any confidentiality requirements in the settlement in the Trek lawsuit. It's not like Greg wouldn't be happy to talk without a subpoena!

The same thing will hold true with Kristen Armstrong and her divorce settlement.

-dB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
goober said:

Maybe your friend should get into contact with Lance about a reward.

You snivelling, conniving, piece of $hit

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Since there are no defense attorney's present for a Grand Jury to cross examine him he will make sure it goes to trial. He will run into trouble when it goes to trial when he is forced to answer the question, "Did you ever take
performance enhancing drugs during your career?" It seems to me every rider that testifies will commit perjury if they answer no. With riders reporting the use of performance enhancing drugs as far back as the 1920's I really don't see a true clean champion winning since before World War I.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Seems to me that now Lemond is finaly on the front footing and free to talk he`s able to bait Lance who in the TDF looks close to be a broken man.
Why we trust some and not others is somtimes hard to define but somat about Lemond rings true and always has.
I had the good fortune to ride along side him during my spell with Teka in 89 during Febuary`s Tour Of Americas . He was overweight and finding it hard on the climbs and it struck me he knew very well that being in condition that early would be a mistake. Genuine is the best way I can descibe it and it left a lasting impresssion cus prior to that I had doupts.
A hunch doesnt solve a riddle but it`s a part of our guidence system.;)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
beeped said:
Since there are no defense attorney's present for a Grand Jury to cross examine him he will make sure it goes to trial. He will run into trouble when it goes to trial when he is forced to answer the question, "Did you ever take
performance enhancing drugs during your career?" It seems to me every rider that testifies will commit perjury if they answer no. With riders reporting the use of performance enhancing drugs as far back as the 1920's I really don't see a true clean champion winning since before World War I.

The perjury isn't an offense until it is proven. The question remains what they have to prove it.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
editedbymod said:
He crashed in the feed zone today.

He's got a lot on his mind. They should stop the race and let him recover.

My guess tomorrow he steps off his bike. Where to I don't know.

Phil was saying he crashed in the neutral zone too, yesterday... there's a couple of pics on the CN website from yesterday that say it all about LA, he looks positively out of it,not even the same looking guy... he just might get off the bike, his team is doing nothing, obviously they are demoralised and the final procession of the King has turned in to noting more than train wreck after train wreck.. he should just step off the bike into a airplane and get ready for his date with the Feds

TRENDING THREADS