• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's your personal hematocrit level?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It has varied considerably even while living at or near sea-level.
Since about 1980, every year, I have had at least one blood analysis done and I have tried to do it on different months.
When out of shape - end of winter - my Hct has been as high as 46.2 %, but still with only 14.9 g/l.
When in great shape, in summer, as low as 38% with 12.8 g/l.
Which means that properly doped up with EPO I could have been in my late forties climbing at 1650 m/h (for 30 min) instead of 1250 m/h on 7% :)

A few years ago i started eating black chocolate regularly ( 20 g/day) as my iron values always tended to be low and I don't want to eat too much red meat. In the past 3 years, end of spring, my Hct has been around 45%, but then I don't exhaust myself on the bike as I used to (age, you know, well past 70).

50 years ago, when I lived at an average weekly altitude of 4500 m, I probably approached 55%, unfortunately not confirmed by an analysis.
Are you sure you didn't mean feet? :)

Results from appt with Hematologist this week: HCT is 32 and HGB is 10.8, which is up from previous low points (29 & 9.5). He said if HGB drops below 10 again and stays there they will start me on EPO :eek:
My Grandma (+90 years old) recently got put on it, mainly because she handles it a lot better than Iron supplements (pills or shots). Now there's EPO in the fridge in my family's house:D

Results from appt with Hematologist this week: HCT is 32 and HGB is 10.8, which is up from previous low points (29 & 9.5). He said if HGB drops below 10 again and stays there they will start me on EPO :eek:
My iron levels got nuclear high about 8 years ago and I nearly died from it. I have haemachromatosis but didn’t know it then. I had to get a pint of blood out every 2 weeks for a year (that’s a lot of blood bags). All good now.

My iron levels got nuclear high about 8 years ago and I nearly died from it. I have haemachromatosis but didn’t know it then. I had to get a pint of blood out every 2 weeks for a year (that’s a lot of blood bags). All good now.
Wow, that’s scary. Glad to hear it’s resolved. Mine is not iron related — but hoping I won’t get to the point I’ll need to get blood bags, as much as that would in keeping with being someone who follows pro cycling!

Reactions: topcat
Unfortunately, in my most recent tests my HCT is now down to 25 (HGB of 8.5), so irony-of-ironies for a long-time cycling fan, I got my 1st EPO injection yesterday. I guess it takes 9-12 wks to see if I’m responding.

Also unfortunate is that unlike the pros, almost all of whom get some red cell boost, only about 50% of folks with this type of anemia get any response. So fingers crossed on that

Unfortunately, in my most recent tests my HCT is now down to 25 (HGB of 8.5), so irony-of-ironies for a long-time cycling fan, I got my 1st EPO injection yesterday. I guess it takes 9-12 wks to see if I’m responding.

Also unfortunate is that unlike the pros, almost all of whom get some red cell boost, only about 50% of folks with this type of anemia get any response. So fingers crossed on that
Hope it helps you out. Out of curiosity, do you have a lot of symptoms at that level? My HCT was down around there for a while after an accident this year and it was rough.

Hope it helps you out. Out of curiosity, do you have a lot of symptoms at that level? My HCT was down around there for a while after an accident this year and it was rough.
Nick, I think when you loose a lot blood, like in an accident, the symptom impact is worse because your system hasn’t had time to adjust to it. What I’ve read and my hematologist explained, since my HCT has been gradually dropping over the course of two years, my body adjusts somewhat to deal with it.
But even when my HCT was higher but still in anemic range last year I already had major difficulties doing even low-key cycling, hiking, and Nordic skiing. I got out of breath so quickly I had to stop once or more on hills that were smooth sailing in the past. Now I can’t get up much of a hill at all on my bike
With this last drop I now have trouble completing a single set of stairs without stopping to catch my breath, occasional get dizzy just walking around to the extent that I have to stop and lean over for moment, and sleeping during the day.
For someone who hasn’t led an active life these might not be a big deal (yet). But I feel so defeated not having rides, hikes to look forward to every weekend, or weekend ski trips this winter.

Always passed out as a kid racing in youth leagues. 34% and 9%. Took up some transfusions and IGF, really noticed how I recovered better from every little bruise or busy day. I'd say get your kids checked and juice them, even if they race. Many don't test until 16/18 in the EU cause of laws.

Reactions: Sciatic
Always passed out as a kid racing in youth leagues. 34% and 9%. Took up some transfusions and IGF, really noticed how I recovered better from every little bruise or busy day. I'd say get your kids checked and juice them, even if they race. Many don't test until 16/18 in the EU cause of laws.

Well, if the transfusions are given to deal with a health issue - passing out - then I'm pretty sure it would be possible to get a TUE for them...

Reactions: Eviter
Well, if the transfusions are given to deal with a health issue - passing out - then I'm pretty sure it would be possible to get a TUE for them...
Ofc, but you gotta pressure some docs, and younger people often do not know what to say.

In the beginning I got refused by the family physician for not just - temporarily - quitting racing; not trying a second course of supplements etc; quit being vegetarian etc etc.
Another example: some girls cycling at those levels I knew had "covert" eating disorders, causing amenorrhea. The lack of bloodloss (especially from girls menstruating 6> days which is much more common for teens) often got them at normal-ish HB level. They couldn't prove having an ED as they refused getting treatment for it. So their TUE would get refused as well.

Ofc, but you gotta pressure some docs, and younger people often do not know what to say.

In the beginning I got refused by the family physician for not just - temporarily - quitting racing; not trying a second course of supplements etc; quit being vegetarian etc etc.
Another example: some girls cycling at those levels I knew had "covert" eating disorders, causing amenorrhea. The lack of bloodloss (especially from girls menstruating 6> days which is much more common for teens) often got them at normal-ish HB level. They couldn't prove having an ED as they refused getting treatment for it. So their TUE would get refused as well.
In the U.S. currently, the rough gauge for starting blood tranfusions (for chronic anemia not accidents) is HGB below 7.0, which would be a HCT in the low twenties. Some folks will get them sooner (at higher HGB) if their symptoms are worse and other meds don’t help. I think the reasons for waiting until the levels are so low are primarily because once one starts transfusions, they will need to continue getting them, and the longer you’re dependent on transfusions the more other problems (iron overload, host resistance) will arise. The secondary reason is that the health system does not have an endless supply of donated blood.

Reactions: Eviter
In the U.S. currently, the rough gauge for starting blood tranfusions (for chronic anemia not accidents) is HGB below 7.0, which would be a HCT in the low twenties. Some folks will get them sooner (at higher HGB) if their symptoms are worse and other meds don’t help. I think the reasons for waiting until the levels are so low are primarily because once one starts transfusions, they will need to continue getting them, and the longer you’re dependent on transfusions the more other problems (iron overload, host resistance) will arise. The secondary reason is that the health system does not have an endless supply of donated blood.
Yep, I saw a paper in scientific American paper that donor DNA stays detectable in your blood for over a year (for WADA tests) and was explained that there is a not-well understood link between donor blood and increased instances of cancer in the first 6 months following transfusions. So, a well-planned treatment plan is definitely needed indeed.

Nick, I think when you loose a lot blood, like in an accident, the symptom impact is worse because your system hasn’t had time to adjust to it. What I’ve read and my hematologist explained, since my HCT has been gradually dropping over the course of two years, my body adjusts somewhat to deal with it.
But even when my HCT was higher but still in anemic range last year I already had major difficulties doing even low-key cycling, hiking, and Nordic skiing. I got out of breath so quickly I had to stop once or more on hills that were smooth sailing in the past. Now I can’t get up much of a hill at all on my bike
With this last drop I now have trouble completing a single set of stairs without stopping to catch my breath, occasional get dizzy just walking around to the extent that I have to stop and lean over for moment, and sleeping during the day.
For someone who hasn’t led an active life these might not be a big deal (yet). But I feel so defeated not having rides, hikes to look forward to every weekend, or weekend ski trips this winter.
That would be really tough to go through especially if you’re normally active. Fingers crossed for the EPO boost.

Reactions: Sciatic
mines 32. does that explain why i'm so slow on the road bike?
It certainly could, if you're a woman the low end of normal range of HCT is 36. Have you had your iron levels checked recently? (Iron is not the only reason people have low blood counts but it is usually the easiest one to fix.)

ed. My hematologist claims that most people won't notice a difference in exercise capacity at that level, because our bodies have a way of adjusting to a reduced HCT. But I think he's talking about the average activity level of an average person, not the small deficits in performance that folks who ride competitively (even as recreational cyclists) certainly notice.

Last edited: