• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When is the smackdown on Chris Horner?

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Energy Starr said:
A funny thing has happened during this tour. I'm not a Horner fan and I do believe he is(was) doped to the gills. I couldn't stand the ridiculous speech after the Vuelta last year. However, during this tour, from the interviews that I saw, he was by far the best interview of any of the riders. He seems interested, candid, insightful, and MAYBE even honest. I started to look forward to his interviews. He actually seemed to provide some insight and maybe said what others wouldn't. Strange how I feel about him now as opposed to before.

You'll get over it.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
proffate said:
I hope you saved some vitriol for JC Peraud. Best performance of his life at age 35... not normal man

I don´t go that corner. The year he came over to pro road racing he instantly finished T-10 in the TdF 2011. And if we are honest, with AC and Froome in today, he wasn´t about to podium. Now I don´t have exact power numbers, but I guess he´s on the same level as he was in 2011 (but not increasing with age, let alone getting close to the infamous doper record times). He was/is suffering, riding on two legs, mostly in slipstream. You see, a complete different story than Horner. If he wins in 7 years a GT, I´d change my POV OFC. But I can guarantee you, at age 42/43 he is most certainly retired, or if crazy enough & still riding, he would suffer in the groupetto of the Langkawi Tour... Normal.
And now back to topic...

IzzyStradlin said:
Horner is a nice guy. He is a fun bike racer. He is smart, but not quite as smart as he thinks he is.

Horner is doping. He has always doped.
Obviously.
He released the evidence himself:
http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/63542182838/analysis-horners-biopassport-data
Clearly.
He is one of the most popular riders in the US but could not find a team last year. Not because of his price. Because everybody knows that Horner is doping.
Riders don't get contracts because they are doping? How come we have so many dopers in the Pro Tour then? Horner couldn't find a team because he is 43 freakin' years old and a bit of a headcase, which may explain why it took him til 42 to win his GT. Also no director in his right mind would ever believe that Chris could duplicate such a result.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I don´t go that corner. The year he came over to pro road racing he instantly finished T-10 in the TdF 2011. And if we are honest, with AC and Froome in today, he wasn´t about to podium. Now I don´t have exact power numbers, but I guess he´s on the same level as he was in 2011 (but not increasing with age, let alone getting close to the infamous doper record times). He was/is suffering, riding on two legs, mostly in slipstream. You see, a complete different story than Horner. If he wins in 7 years a GT, I´d change my POV OFC. But I can guarantee you, at age 42/43 he is most certainly retired, or if crazy enough & still riding, he would suffer in the groupetto of the Langkawi Tour... Normal.
And now back to topic...

I take it back. He's 37. That's one year off of Horner's comparable 2010 tdf ride.

JCP is riding in a slipstream that no one else can manage to follow, be they 23, 24, 25 or whatever age you think it's ok to excel at.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
proffate said:
I take it back. He's 37. That's one year off of Horner's comparable 2010 tdf ride.

JCP is riding in a slipstream that no one else can manage to follow, be they 23, 24, 25 or whatever age you think it's ok to excel at.

You can open your very own "No way Peraud is clean thread", and we discuss things out there. I gave you a short upfront overview. I guess Afrank sees it the same way. So back to the trademark grandpa, the one and only... Horner-Baby.

While he had the willing, he will be there, but there is a limit of age, of course, maybe at 45 or 46 to be competitive in a big event, He has the capability to be up on the bike for long time on the climbs.. that is a big advantage for the stepest climbs, so if the parcours suits him, he will fight for the podium. He is now more reliable for three weeks than Rui Costa.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
While he had the willing, he will be there, but there is a limit of age, of course, maybe at 45 or 46 to be competitive in a big event, He has the capability to be up on the bike for long time on the climbs.. that is a big advantage for the stepest climbs, so if the parcours suits him, he will fight for the podium. He is now more reliable for three weeks than Rui Costa.

Subtract 8-10 years, then you´d hit the nail.

IndianCyclist said:
He was "making the calculation" (in Kelly's oft repeated words) of how much more is needed for Vuelta:D

LOL. BTW, just correct your post a little. OFC there is no doubt he´s on some extra blood during this TdF too.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Not as serious as the dopers :D

Well, I reckon they do. After all, it's their livelihood. Fans are just living out their fantasies and demanding to be entertained through the guys who are out there actually doing the work.

MarkvW said:
Chris Horner knows how to play the game, that's for sure.

He's coming back for more. Come Vuelta time he'll be charging on horses blood.

“I’ll come back for Spain and be a lot fitter, a lot healthier and I’ll see if I can win again,” he told Cyclingnews.

“I have to go back to the US and recover, and maybe now I’ll just do the Tour of Utah for training. If they race really fast there, maybe I’ll drop off because I need to rest next week. Then I’ll look to come into Spain a little bit lighter, a lot fitter and 100 per cent healthy.”

He also told reporters that he would be fully focused on winning the Vuelta. If he succeeds, he will break his own record as the oldest-ever Grand Tour winner in cycling.

“I go to the Vuelta for the win. That’s for sure. Once you've won before, that’s all you want. It’s a race that’s designed for my type of riding,” he said.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-now-i-go-to-the-vuelta-to-win

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah... That stands out

"only his second race back since his accident..."

Still finishing in T-20. :rolleyes: Same like last year. Half dead and little race days.

“I have to go back to the US and recover..."

Phucking liar. You go back to hide and prepare more BBs, as you found out 4 or 5 wasn´t enough for the TdF... again, same approach like last year.

But one positive out of all this mess. More chances for the testers to get this clown.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Yeah... That stands out

"only his second race back since his accident..."

Still finishing in T-20. :rolleyes: Same like last year. Half dead and little race days.

“I have to go back to the US and recover..."

Phucking liar. You go back to hide and prepare more BBs, as you found out 4 or 5 wasn´t enough for the TdF... again, same approach like last year.

But one positive out of all this mess. More chances for the testers to get this clown.

First they have to go to Bend if they bother....then they have to find him in Bend. Not so easy. USAC isn't going to help much.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
sir Chris Horner winning back to back vueltas would surely go down in history as the most mutant performance.. I just hope the Dawg is there too.

Dearly hope so too. Two dopers in dopers heaven. Should be an epic battle with Ullrich/Indurain like Watt numbers. It should get sooo grotesque, that even the dumbest naive cycling fan goes away in disgust until the governing bodies catch at least the most blatant dopers out there.

Oldman said:
First they have to go to Bend if they bother....then they have to find him in Bend. Not so easy. USAC isn't going to help much.

... and USADA? I guess they fired from all cyclinders against Armstrong and are now empty handed (money-wise) to chase another over the top doper.

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
red_flanders said:
...He's going to be a great commentator going forward.
And finally enter the most lucrative part of his career.

I would think a positive test might cost him a lot for the future. I doubt we will see one.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pastronef said:
well, he has that famous window from 6 am to 8 am when he is available every day. no?
will they bother to wake up early?

Bend's a big place with bad cell reception. You think Vampires in a small town would go unnoticed?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
I thought he was the most tested rider or whatever?

Edit: pre last year Vuelta I thought Horner just had a big mouth, now I am actually somewhat concerned that he *may* be able to do what he says

He may do it but the Tour team would need to show more depth for the Vuelta. Stiffer climbs may be that undoing before he's in serious contention.

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Evidence is scarce for Horner's alleged doping...I don't think you can compare his prior lack of results because of the billion factors, like riding for others for most of his career. Horner would never have gotten the chance to ride for himself back in the doping days because of his weak time trial...in those days you could damn near win a race on one doped up time trial. I don't know if Horner is doping or not but I've seen nothing concrete like we had in the Armstrong era..

And the idea that Horner is somehow hiding from testers and this is making him a success is a joke. Horner has to notify the testers of his day to day where abouts like every other rider. The idea that USADA can't find him, or doesn't have the cajones to go after him, is bunk...I am sure Horner probably doped in the past but I see no evidence that he's doping today.

TRENDING THREADS